Notices

Paging MAGIFLOAT

Old 05-20-2002, 07:31 PM
OutlawBayB

Default Paging MAGIFLOAT

Sorry to hear @ your dog. Mine is feeling better already. I took her in on Wed & they couldn't start the trtmt cuz they couldn't verify her vaccines.Her pre-work lab showed she a bladder infection(blood) & gave pills to calm her cough B4 trmt.

In a week 1/2 she'll go in & keep her for 1 nite, give her a shot of Immiticen? Anyways, she'll go back 2x w/in the next 8 weeks for her 2nd & 3rd shots.
I asked to personally see the xrays of her lungs & heart to see how bad it was. It really didn't look that bad. The vet assumes she's had them from 8 mos-18 mos. Not too much damage, but insisted she was class 3 ,needing that 3rd shot or 4th?@$120. He said he's seen worse cases survive.

Check w/ SuperCrash 30 maybe? They work for a vet & gave me some info.After trmt, they have to remain still/on a leash to go potty,the dead worms can pass thru the heart too fast & they can die. That will be hard w/out a cage.
Call a lot places, trmt cost varies b/w $450-$600@most places.

Good luck & keep me posted!

Old 05-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Talked to the vet Friday, his suggestion was not do anything,th e heartworms were dorment at this time,had not move up into the heart valves yet and may not. I'm going to trust his judgement and let things slide for now. I appreciate your reply,hope your doggie gets by OK. MagicFloat
Old 05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
OutlawBayB

I've never heard of heartworms being dormant. Get a second opinion at least over the phone. The heartworms will grow.
Did they tell you to stop giving your dog the heartworm pill in the mean time? From what I know, if you give a positive dog heartworm pills, they can die. Double check on that.
Maybe they're just waiting for them to get further along before proceeding with trmt? Good luck!

Old 05-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I didn,t understand that either. My regular vet is going to call me today about this deal and I'll decide. She has never been on heartworms pills, I just adopted this old dog 2 weeks ago,funny how you can get attached so guickly. I'll keep you posted