Class 1 Cat Complete, Outerlimits Eyes V-Bottom Kilo Record >

Class 1 Cat Complete, Outerlimits Eyes V-Bottom Kilo Record

Notices

Class 1 Cat Complete, Outerlimits Eyes V-Bottom Kilo Record

Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
If the record is beaten by 1 or 2 mph , there will be 10 pages of how accurate the GPS was or tailwind.
Hahaha! That's funny....And so true.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

"Someone" 6 years ago did say "Someone needs to shut the old man up" and the old man said he was brining a cannon! We all saw who walked the walk and who talked the talk. I am looking forward to what the future will bring.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,230 Posts

This has turned into an interesting discussion. Here's something else to ponder: Fountain lore—and I have a lot of respect for Mr. Fountain and the brand he created—has it that offshore racing victories were an important sales tool for the company. It's the "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory.

But I have always wondered if the sales numbers directly supported that notion. How many sales did offshore racing actually produce? I'm not talking perception, which we can all argue about until we run out of breath, but hard sales numbers? In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

You can't tell me such things aren't trackable.

My theory, for what it's worth, is Fountains were sold on "speed," and that could have happened without offshore races or kilo records. The racing and all the rest ... you'd have to prove it to me, with hard numbers, that it actually sold boats. Again, it's one thing to say it with authority. It's another to prove it.

My take is that kilo runs and offshore race victories don't sell boats. They may contribute to their mystique. But direct sales? Again, show me.

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races. What I've heard consistently is that they are fast for the power and present good value in a production-built offshore boat.

I know quite a few Outerlimits owners as well. They tell me their boats are fast for the power and present good value in a custom-built offshore boat. None have ever mentioned Outerlimits' P1 championship or New York City Poker Run "kilo record."

So why bother? Bragging rights.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 03-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
This has turned into an interesting discussion. Here's something else to ponder: Fountain lore—and I have a lot of respect for Mr. Fountain and the brand he created—has it that offshore racing victories were an important sales tool for the company. It's the "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday" theory.

But I have always wondered if the sales numbers directly supported that notion. How many sales did offshore racing actually produce? I'm not talking perception, which we can all argue about until we run out of breath, but hard sales numbers? In other words, how many buyers walked into Fountain dealerships and said "I'm buying this boat because the brand wins offshore races?"

My theory, for what it's worth, is Fountains were sold on "speed," and that could have happened without offshore races or kilo records. The racing and all the rest ... you'd have to prove it to me, with hard numbers, that it actually sold boats. Again, it's one thing to say it with authority. It's another to prove it.

My take is that kilo runs and offshore race victories don't sell boats. They may contribute to their mystique. But direct sales? Again, show me.

I know a lot of Fountain owners. Not one has ever told me he bought his boat because Fountain holds a kilo record or Fountain boats have won a lot of offshore races. What I've heard consistently is that they are fast for the power and present good value in a production-built offshore boat.

I know quite a few Outerlimits owners as well. They tell me their boats are fast for the power and present good value in a custom-built offshore boat. None have ever mentioned Outerlimits' P1 championship or New York City Poker Run "kilo record."

Bragging Rights, and I think the mystique is what might have hyped the sales more than the winning offshore directly.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Legacy --I made the fastest V-Bottom boat in the world, I drove the fastest V-Bottom boat in the world. That is pretty cool stuff. I am a risk taker and if I had the $$$$ I would love to attempt to set a world record on water (going fast). MT hit the nail on the head with his post above (two words), "Bragging Rights."

And Tank's quote 'as the great Fabio Buzzi once said:
"Records are the true marks for progress." ' Both quotes (from MT and Tank) sum it up for me. Good stuff. I wish I could be an active participant, and not a spectator.

Break the record!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio

Well, I have sold MANY Fountains. New and used. The "hype" is what causes the customer to walk in the showroom. And the "local, good old boy NC" aura (sp?) is what drives LOTS of buyers. Fountain owners and OL owners are a VERY diff breed.

Matt, you're correct. A great conversation...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does a dog lick his balls??
Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because the cat wont..........
Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I dont know how many boats they sell in a year but its hardly worth risking your life to sell 2-3 more.
Anyone on here with half a brain knows the setup and power isnt what is sold every day.

Think REWARD/RISK.

Re your comment about how many boats did Reggie sell by setting a record.......well Reggie is starting with a fresh slate now.....and what has he said will be in his lineup at the outset? Center Consoles.

This doesnt have to happen. Proves nothing.

OL is a great boat. Put a couple more cup holders in it, turn up the music and have a nice life.
Thats what counts.

174, 182, 191 ??? Who gives a phuck??
who gives a phuck??? look at the guys posting and veiwing this thread and think about how many people would make the trip to where ever to see it happen. I loved it when OL and fountain were running for the record... that was epic kinda stuff...Reggie hipped it up and then performed... its all bout pride, competition and just wanting to be the best. risk/reward is all in the eye of the guy doing it, and IMO not for us to judge his decisions.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Well, I have sold MANY Fountains. New and used. The "hype" is what causes the customer to walk in the showroom. And the "local, good old boy NC" aura (sp?) is what drives LOTS of buyers. Fountain owners and OL owners are a VERY diff breed.

Matt, you're correct. A great conversation...
I was hoping you'd chime in on this one because I know you've sold a ton of Fountains. So does the Fountain buyer care about racing and kilo records? You know my take. But speed? You know my take there, too.

A lot of people, including the man himself, have criticized Reggie for all the money he spent on racing and kilo runs. (He's told me several times, always with a little laugh, that he he wishes he'd "saved" some of that money.) Could the mystique, marketing, hype (I am reading your mind, T2X, it's a nutty California thing) have been created without all that? Or less of it?

Or was it part of the business model?

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 03-18-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.