Sad day for Powerboat magazine >

Sad day for Powerboat magazine

Notices

Sad day for Powerboat magazine

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
What I do when I give away clothing is give everyone a coupon.Good for a sweatshirt,t-shirt with your "next 100-200 dollar purchase.It keeps all the guys that never buy anything from being your new best friend when you walk into the shop with shirts.
You going to the ISN show in June?
Great idea. PB could have had free shirts with any pre-paid new subscription at their booth and free stickers. And some free left over back issues maybe.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumb_Gut_Phil
"Just curious was her name Connie,talked to her at a poker run once."

No, her name was/is Mindy. She worked on a number of LFP books, and loved Hot Boat. Should have stayed at Hustler I guess.

"when was the last time you—any of you—actually clicked on an Internet ad."

It happens a lot more often with social media marketing support. I'd bet that Young Performance Marine gets higher-than-average click through on this system despite being a tiny fractional that doesn't display all the time.

More and more companies get this, that internet marketing is not a "throw money at it" proposition. Not just Eddie Young and some others here but Fred Kiekhaefer at Mercury Racing, with his blog. It's time-consuming but it gets results. Too many advertisers try to get by on their ad agency's good looks.
Should have stayed at Hustler

thats what im talkin bout
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Someone send him one of the Bayliner Racing shirts and all will be good again!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Great idea. PB could have had free shirts with any pre-paid new subscription at their booth and free stickers. And some free left over back issues maybe.
My profit margin is a little different than there's.What is amazing is how many people still aren't happy when I do this.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Erectile Disfunction
My profit margin is a little different than there's.What is amazing is how many people still aren't happy when I do this.
Wah Wah Wah
Dude for a couple $3.99 T-shirts , Geez if you dont want to give your customers so shirts to promote your Biz so be it ... Powerboat will prevail and all Bullchit aside if the only reason you buy the mag is to get a free shirt you prolly dont need the mag and P.B. wont miss ya oh chit look at the time i have to go renew my OSO membership so i get a shirt
Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

PB has been pretty generous with their shirts when they could afford to. In fact, if you've been around here for a bit, you may remember back in 2003, Powerboat decided to give away a free T shirt to the first 10 OSO folks that responded on the thread they posted. As you can imagine, they got their responses pretty quickly. A bunch of people just kept adding their names.

Well, I was #31 on the list....and was pleasantly surprised when I got a shirt in the mail. Turns out they saw the response, and decided to give out 100 instead of 10. I just wore it last week.

Still a subscriber too.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
Should have stayed at Hustler

thats what im talkin bout
Now that's funny, and I AGREE!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Nice article, Matt.

I subscribe to the magazine because, like others here have said- we, who care about the sport, should support those who try to make it better. We would NOT be better off without PB.

That said, I think the writing is on the wall for print, especially news publications. Not anytime soon- but it's not that far down the road. Think about people under the age of 21... they don't know the feeling of reading a Sunday paper in bed with a cup of coffee and they don't care. Why? Because they've never done it to get used to it, that's why. They get their news on smartphones and ipads. One need look no further than how the music industry has been transformed in the last ten years.

The WSJ is currently trying to erect a paywall AGAIN on their website. Watch what happens to that $40mm dollar idea. The dinosaurs that run the place are in denial- still living in the coccoon of yesterday.

Progress, folks. Love it or hate it, it's coming.
Like, guys, somebody's gotta say it. WHO is gonna sit in the can with a LAPTOP?!

The problem with all this electronic progress is it has only one goal: Lower cost. Both to make and to deliver.

But I simply cannot see the day when a heavy, power requiring display will be as comfortable to hold and read as a well formatted, slick print magazine, that does not flash and flick and try to distract me with pop ups or other do dads and force me to either turn them or block them off or try to ignore them. That doesn't make me cringe if I spill beer or suntan lotion on it. The marketing pressure we all have to endure in the comings and goings of everyday life is becoming more and more intolerable and almost impossible to escape.

Except by going out on the boat!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
God help this whole performance boat sport and industry! With our current economic times, $4-$5 a gallon gas and hardly any new boat manufacturers left standing! Yes, and people like this in our sport and industry who are concerned about free tee shirts and such instead of a wonderful cornerstone magazine of our sport!! I can't believe the wieners like this are lurking in our sport! Please do us a favor, Leave and Never Return!! Sorry, just pissed beyond belief!!

Best Regards
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On Time
Like, guys, somebody's gotta say it. WHO is gonna sit in the can with a LAPTOP?!
I'm sitting on the can right now responding to this thread on my smart phone. Hold on, I have to wipe.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.