Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality." >

Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Notices

Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In The Pink
Thanks. It's funny you say that because I hear from my neighbors all the time "At least YOUR kids are outside playing." but I have to admit, its not easy.
Bet you go out and play with them as well !
Had alot of work but went home to shoot hoops, time is flying!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

D. Next generation is lost.....Toyota just did a study and found out the 16-22 year olds are more interested in smart phones and video games than CARS! If Toyota can't get kids interested in cars, what chance do gas guzzling boats that can be used a few months a year have? Harley Davidson has the issue as well........next generation after the baby boomers are simply not interested.

Boats in general are dead to 80% of the USA simply due to locale (lack or water or climate). FL, TX type areas will always be hot for the boat market but the rest of the USA it is a part time gig at best.
True the majority of the nextgen kids are lazy and lacking focus and goals. This is mostly parental in nature.

Not all is their fault.
They live in a radically different world than I did, one full of bizarre arcane and Orwellian rules.

I cant blame the next gen on their lack of interest in cars.
Whats the point anymore? You cant work on them, you cant mod them, and kids cant afford them.

I used to spend free time on camaros or mustangs (or cheap sleepers like dusters etc.) bought used with summer savings then spend money I earned judiciously on things like manifolds cams heads and body work, this relatively affordable hobby was fun and rewarding.

Nowadays you cant buy parts because of emissions controls your car wont be licensed if you changed a valve cover, you cant afford to go anywhere in anything remotely fun to drive. Insurance will take the wind out of your sails if you attempt to buy anything "cool". You cant even "cruise" anymore all the old fun places will ticket you of you pass a checkpoint twice.

The new standard of cool isnt how fun it is- its how cheap it runs.

Cars- other than basic transportation, or factory hot rods costing huge money there is simply no point anymore unless your an older guy with tons of money.

WE created this CRAP scenario and our kids have to live with it. and now cant understand why they dont want to go outside.

Motorized entertainment is becoming a domain for the very rich only.

sad.

Boats?? dont even get me started.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-24-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
True the majority of the nextgen kids are lazy and lacking focus and goals. This is mostly parental in nature.

Not all is their fault.
They live in a radically different world than I did, one full of bizarre arcane and Orwellian rules.

Whats the point anymore? You cant work on them, you cant mod, them, and kids cant afford them.

I used to spend free time on camaros or mustangs (or cheap sleepers like dusters etc.) bought used with summer savings then spend money I earned judiciously on things like manifolds cams heads and body work, this relatively affordable hobby was fun and rewarding.

Nowadays you cant buy parts because of emissions controls your car wont be licensed if you changed a valve cover, you cant afford to go anywhere in anything remotely fun to drive. Insurance will take the wind out of your sails if you attempt to buy anything remotely fun. You cant even "cruise" anymore all the old fun places will ticket you of you pass a checkpoint twice.

Cars- other than basic transportation, or factory hot rods costing huge money there is simply no point anymore unless your an older guy with tons of money.

WE created this CRAP scenario and our kids have to live with it. and now cant understand why they dont want to go outside.

sad.

Uncle Dave
WOW Did you just bring back some memories...I had a Boss 302 and a built Ford 460 and did it all in my parents driveway. Changing cams, heads, carburetors, etc.Those cars burned and smelled like gas but were absolutely a kick to drive. I used to love a good burnout!! "Can your car get 2nd gear rubber?" And the stereos - how many of those did I insttall!!! Is that why I/we like boats? Because we can still work on them? We have a problem with this new generation! We have to teach them to have physical fun especially outdoors like boating, fishing, camping and such. Even bike riding is a great sport. We do the MS 150 bike ride from Houston to Austin every year and that is about 180 miles!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

Not all is their fault.

Whats the point anymore? You cant work on them, you cant mod, them, and kids cant afford them.

Nowadays you cant buy parts because of emissions controls your car wont be licensed if you changed a valve cover, you cant afford to go anywhere in anything remotely fun to drive. Insurance will take the wind out of your sails if you attempt to buy anything remotely fun. You cant even "cruise" anymore all the old fun places will ticket you of you pass a checkpoint twice.

sad.

Uncle Dave
UD,
You have some very valid points, but with a heated pool in the back yard, a dock that has boats on it, and fishing is just a fishing pole away, my kids have all kinds of outdoor opportunities and yet would seem to be happier inside. And I have to make more of an effort to get in the pool with them, I'm usually busy working on something, (boats, cars, truck, rental property, etc....) BUT I've got to make time for them OUTSIDE!
Dean
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
I would agree with you on some of this to a point, but times do change and let me remind you there are people in my generation including my self have been fighting in wars for 10 years now and let me tell you some of this next generation isnt so bad. This next generation might not have as great of a work ethic or like to be hands on but we are smarter, more tolerant, and willing to learn new things than older generations.
Theres a good batch in every mix and you sound lik one of em...

UD
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Some interesting stuff here, especially the comments about yearning. I'm 33 and became addicted to boats when I was around 10. Everything I've accomplish both school and career wise usually was because I was trying to figure out how to afford nice boats. When other people were dropping out of engineering and switching to general studies, I was thinking about how much a 38 Formula cost and knew I had to stick it out. Even today I'm constantly trying to take that next step so I can afford bigger and better. I know people who are happy just sitting on their asses every day and have no desire for anything and I just don't understand it. Hopefully I can pass on the same desire to my kids when the time comes.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
Some interesting stuff here, especially the comments about yearning. Everything I've accomplish both school and career wise usually was because I was trying to figure out how to afford nice boats.
Yep. Same here and Im 27.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

There ya have it there is hope !

Now go buy a bigger boat

How about a nice 40 Skater I know of one!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by In The Pink
I can't blame anyone to be afraid to go outside and do anything anymore. Wayyyy too much risk to have fun any more.
This seems to be the problem with America right now.
While the fed's, of course, reserve the right to enforce legislation against discharging firearms and offroading on public land they've started trying it with property owners here in Texas too.
A punk ass big talking 22 yr old Sheriff's deputy comes out on my country property and starts telling me that we can't ride or shoot there anymore because the new neighbors have a problem with the noise.
And I'm like "Tell them to get over it, we're only going to be here another 4 or 5 hours" and he's like "NO SIR , you'll stop right now or else." Which threw me into a rage, "What the phuck or else are you telling me is going to happen if I don't"
Then it's "You'll be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law for the laws your currently breaking"
I'd just finished building a pool for the Chief detective in this county about 6 months before and still had his cell# in my phone so I called him told him what we were doing and that we'd be done in a few hours and would he please ask his patrol deputy to go ahead and cite me now or get his ass back to the job of protecting us from the real criminals out there in society and then put him on the phone with the deputy. He got in his unit and left without saying a word.
I didn't go back upcountry for about 3 months and when we were there I'll be damned if another deputy, this time older and nicer, came out and and proceeded to tell us the same thing. I told him "Look we only come here 5 or 6 times a year and this is what me, my friends who are with me, and our kids do when we're out on my property. If you feel the need just go ahead and cite me right now 'cause we're ain't leaving for another few hours or go talk to those new property owners and tell them to get over it. WTF is going on here nowadays??? I can expect this from a forest ranger on public land or a game warden on mine if it was hunting season but not from the sheriffs dept on a Saturday afternoon"
He left to talk to the neighbors and never came back. I haven't been there since November and we were talkng about going up again in the next couple of weeks.
I laughed when I said "Let's see if we can make it a hat trick, LOL!!!

Scott,
Sorry I jumped in on the Off Topic hijacking.
I think you started an awesome thread about where your mindset should be as either a buyer or a seller.
I've used the "Now's the time to buy" closing technique for the past 2 1/2 years. It'll never be any better for buyers, and unfortunately it goes without saying, or worse for sellers than it is currently, and I always make sure to let them know my position. "You won't see my pool at this price level again once the economy somewhat rebounds"

See ya,
Kelly
Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything is worth what someone will pay,
no more
no less..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.