Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality." >

Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Notices

Shogren on Used Boats: "Be prepared for reality."

Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
So Shogren should pick up the boats, detail/store them and advertise them for free for the owner? Shogren offers a service, not free service. I suspect the boat would be worth more if it was clean, stored in a nice facility to peruse at your leisure 6/7 days a week. No one will pay a premium for a dirty boat, covered by a tarp in a cold barn in upstate Illinois. I strongly suspect that the "detailing fee" is made up easily by the higher resale value.
Thanks Jupiter,
I knew sooner or later you or someone come around and explain it to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
If I sell a boat for 50k and pay a broker 5 grand in commission and they charge me to wash and wax it, ummm furious comes to mind. And if I bought a boat for 50 grand and they charged me to do that I would turn around and ask for a refund.
You don't get paid for the work you do? How do afford your boat if you give away your talents and services for free?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
Thanks Jupiter,
I knew sooner or later you or someone come around and explain it to me.
Someone had to....
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by DollaBill
You don't get paid for the work you do? How do afford your boat if you give away your talents and services for free?
I think they want the dealer to clean list transport and sell oh yeah also handle the paprework for free
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I'm sure if your boat is mint then there is no detailing charge but if you bring in something a little rough but want top dollar then you might need to pay to detail it!

Straight broker commission is 10% and that never includes detailing or storage so why should Shogren be expected to do it for free? Rent/mtg on his facility certainly isn't free!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered

If you look at shogren's site lots of the boats have sold or are listed as "deal pending" so he must be moving lots of them. Can't argue with the sales #'s. Some really aggressive pricing on some of the boats too.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DollaBill
We all work, business owners included, and get compensated for our service to either our employer or our customers.
I seriously doubt this is a hidden charge, I'm assuming that it's written in the brokerage contract, Scott eats the service charges at the time of listing and is compensated for it upon funding of the sale out of the sellers settlement charges.
I'd guess that the seller as the right of refusal for this service if he feels his boat will show well enough on its own as/is condition.
I seldomly sell but when I do it's as spotless as it can possibly be.
I think many buyers and sellers are so wrapped up in the moment that they might seem to lose track of the fact that we do what we do for compensation from them.
All employers earn their money on cost plus the kicker, no business owner sells at cost and does it for free. In a down pool market like I compete in I simply lower the kicker and make less per job on the take.
In the real estate market many agents will reduce their percentage fee and I'd bet some boat brokers who don't have a lot of overhead will do the same. I'm certain that there's a lot of overhead involved the the day to day of conducting business at Scott's shop. Overhead has everything to do with business and must be factored into every business owners sale price on an item or service provided.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Consignment Has Its Place

On the flip side -
There are an endless number of ways one can view this. For the guys that say it's nuts to consign a boat.... I agree with you only because I have enjoyed a fair amount of success when selling things on my own.
However, consider the following:

1. Lots of guys don't have time to sell something. It takes a lot more time to produce a successful sale than most owners think. That's if you want to do it "effectively". ANYONE can throw up a Craig's list ad and pray.

2. Most boats are not in "ship shape" as the owners tend to think or propose. Some owners are not as involved with maintenance as others. It's very easy to overlook or not consider a small action item that needs attention because you as the owner are used to it. But an experienced mechanic and a good sales guy will not miss the details. In today's market, you can not explain away for the little short comings like you used to. Today's buyer has all the power and if your boat is not in ship shape it's sometimes just enough to send the buyer in another direction. This applies particularly to the limited high-performance market.

3. Even experienced owners who are on top of their game regarding the condition of the boat sometimes need a "faster sale". Having 2 - 6 sales people pushing your offering is more powerful, more effective and can typically attract a larger buying audience when compared to a single owner doing everything while trying to work his day job simultaneously.

4. Speaking of having a job, it's tougher to keep the boat spotless and presentable when the boss calls you in for something unexpected.. Family responsibilities etc. Having a dealership like Shogren inspect, store, clean and market your boat is a superior idea for a lot of sellers. Let Shogren deal with all the tire kickers and low price offerings. Often times, a good selling dealer is better equipped to handle low ball offers. I’ve seen some deals that were almost done but fell apart due to lack of quality communication or maybe the seller gave up on the buyer out of simple frustration.

5. It may or may not be huge on the list but a bank will almost always prefer to loan money on a boat that comes from a reputable dealer vs. a private party. Again, having Scott in the mix will help insure an expeditious sale.

6. Some buyers like making purchases from a known dealer. Having a “place” to call or return to if there is a problem is another good selling point. Don’t forget about the TITLE !! Lots of issues can show up when transferring from a private party. This would be the case on a consignment as well but the difference is having the dealer involved as the broker. He will have quicker, better access to resources like title searches etc.

I think forming a portal for used and consigned boats was a very forward thinking idea on behalf of Scott. He's positioned himself and his team to succeed in a less-than-favorable market. I think it's a great idea.

I think his business prowess speaks for itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.