Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Warning!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits >

Warning!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits

Notices

Warning!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits

Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits

Warning!!!!!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits

Northeast River, Elk River, Bohemia River and C & D Canal

Maryland DNR to hold hearings to discuss proposed new sound level limits.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 – 6PM room F-107 at the Elkton High School, 110 James Street, Elkton, MD 21921

Interested parties with questions or wish to submit comments - contact Mike Grant, Regulations Coordinator for Boating Services.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 410-260-8013

Snail mail: Mike Grant, Regulations Coordinator
DNR Boating Services Unit
580 Taylor Avenue E-4
Annapolis MD 21401
Attached Thumbnails Warning!!! Upper Chesapeake Bay Boaters - Hearings on new sound level limits-md-boat-hearing-5-24-11.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

It's only a matter of time.......f_ers!

It's the old "When i moved next to the airport I didn't expect planes to fly over" thing.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have noise levels around Annapolis and up the river.. I can't remember the exact number but I am thinking 87 dB.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The proposed law is only going to effect a small portion of the Bay and Deep Creek lake. These are the two spots where 90+ percent of the noise complaints come from. The current standard in MD is 90 dB 1 meter back and 1 meter up from the exhaust at idle. The new standard is 88 dB for those areas only. All of this is because of one person that is a waterfront property owner and a member of a pseudo yacht club. (no docks, most activities seem to be off the water). Anyway, he got this yacht club to start a write in campaign last year. Last year it was brought up for the whole state, but was defeated at the last minute. This year they are targeting 2 areas to shut these people up. In the past our association was able to compromise on the limits and get the 90dB standard. Now virtually all boating organizations recommend the 88dB limit so it is pretty hard to fight. Regardless, as long as you don't run back and forth in one area all day it is VERY unlikely you would be pulled over or ticketed for exhaust noise. There is more to it but I can't go into it here, PM me if you'd like more info.