Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating? >

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Notices

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Version of the CTS-V engine?

I'm looking at CC's, you can't beat the open-ness and utilitiy of one. Makes it much easier cruising with a larger group of friends and just running around.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

I'm looking at CC's, you can't beat the open-ness and utilitiy of one. Makes it much easier cruising with a larger group of friends and just running around.
Looks like an LS block.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

The perception that outboards are more dependable is just that, a perception. We had a number of guys in our club who had souped up their outboards to gain more HP and they tended to break down like a souped up stern drive. If the outboards are left stock, they are super dependable, but so are Mercury stock engines and drives. It is when pushed beyond normal performance that anything can grenade, including outboards.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
The perception that outboards are more dependable is just that, a perception. We had a number of guys in our club who had souped up their outboards to gain more HP and they tended to break down like a souped up stern drive. If the outboards are left stock, they are super dependable, but so are Mercury stock engines and drives. It is when pushed beyond normal performance that anything can grenade, including outboards.
I think the point is the power to weight ratio on an outboard makes running a stock one more acceptable. Years ago I had a 30 scarab with 2 450 HP high strung I/O motors that went 65 MPH. now I have a 30 Scarab (same hull) with 2 250 HP stock outboards that goes the same speed, therein lies the dependibilty.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No to mention cutting down on weight. The new 4 strokes are getting lighter. I'd rather have my weight in the hull, not the engines. The day I start towing a boat if I ever get to Florida, it will be with an outboard.

That's where a CC outboard would pay real dividends, in salt water.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
It is no perception, it is fact. Outboards are more dependable primarily in the saltwater environment. In fresh water my inboard engines are reliable too. The close fitting cowling and the oily 2 strokes make for a huge anti corrosion advantage in saltwater. I think the 4 strokes keep the close fitting cowling advantage but lose the overall oiliness of the 2 stroke. I have run both types of engines for many years off and on or at the same time and I have never had corrosion on my outboards anywhere close to that of "car engines" adapted for marine use, in saltwater.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver

Yes this is the Cadillac engine.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS930
What a great boat Brian! Do you have any orders for more of them to come out of the mold?
Thank you. Yes we have some deals going down. Things are busy at the shop!

Last edited by THEJOKER; 03-29-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VtSteve
No to mention cutting down on weight. The new 4 strokes are getting lighter. I'd rather have my weight in the hull, not the engines. The day I start towing a boat if I ever get to Florida, it will be with an outboard.

That's where a CC outboard would pay real dividends, in salt water.
Also the good fuel mileage 1.5 to 2 mpg at a 45 to 50 cruise makes for good range with a 200 gal tank.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by On Time
Yes this is the Cadillac engine.
nice thats a sweet heart of an engine, torque everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.