Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating? >

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Notices

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Best one I've seen to date is the Nor-Tech 390 Open. Nice to have options.

http://www.nor-techboats.com/boats.php?id=5&type=cen
That one is coming to Canada!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....

Originally Posted by On Time
Tim,

You seem to be straightforward and direct. Then help me out. T-tops are known to have considerable wind resistance. They are rigid and the angle cannot be adjusted. They have the effect of lowering the top speed and efficiency of boats, which some have said is as much as 5-6 mph or more depending on surface area. But of course they are highly desirable for the shade they provide and as an additional place to mount equipment. Is there any way that a rigid top could be designed to not have as much wind resistance and still look reasonably nice? Could they pivot? What about venting?

Thanks, Andy
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Andy,
We are careful when we set the angle on the top to the boat... Typically the angle is set at 3 degrees...
The top in the pics is set just right... meaning that at speed, with correct boat trim (flat water) the top is running as flat as possible...
Angling the top up can bring air under and actually make lift, where down will force the boat down (mess with CG).
I too thought about an electric screw jack to adjust the top angle.... Does the operator need one more thing to trim??? Can the average operator deal with it? Not likely. Then I thought about an automated system that trys to level the top, but I just didn't see how the system could keep up in rougher/changing water....

Vents... They're likely to make noise, noise that the owner won't live with.... That and rain water will come through....

The windshield is as detrimental to top speed as the entire t top..... That's another headache there....
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We didn't loose any speed w/ our hardtop. Birdsall Marine and their engineers designed our hardtop. It has a ladder up the side so you can access the top which has non skid so you can hang out up there. We use the best vendors in the business - Fineline Interiors , Birdsall and Henley Custom Marine rigs our boats.
Attached Thumbnails Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-41closeup.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Yes lots to think about. And the tilt mechanism could be complex but that is a cool idea. Vents could be made to open and close to keep rain out. But I guess the bottom line is most people dont' really care about that 5-6 mph? Does a canvas top have any less drag?
Where most CC's are used, the T-top is far more valuable than a few MPH..

My silly bimini drags my boat about 2-3 mph, The cover flattens out in the wind and makes like a parachute. But when it rains, or you're sweating in the sun, it's there. It's nice to have the top end every now and again, but I's guess most boats spend very little time there.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Here's one sitting on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?-1st41snap.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Here is a picture from The Miami Boat Show of the 41 Epic.
Sick

Originally Posted by Tim G.
What style do most of you prefer??? Narrower, long, and low with a small console..... or wider with a larger top and on board comforts???
We are in final stages of wrapping up the tooling on our 39...
The hull and deck are done. We are finalizing the console and helm seat for the Open version.... What you see here is NOT the final T top and console design.....
I have been deeply involved in the design, but the final shapes and making it all come together are being done by some very strong names in the design world....
Look'in good so far
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Chuck
I have a five and a three year old and my cat just wasn't practical to go out and hang out on with my kids.
At least you still have a boat Chuck.
I have two daughters as well and converted by 28 hole in the water to a 36 in the ground.... I still have a dock too !

I can't say I regret it though. The whole family gets more use out of this then my smokey Mercury Racing OB's !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
At least you still have a boat Chuck.
I have two daughters as well and converted by 28 hole in the water to a 36 in the ground.... I still have a dock too !

I can't say I regret it though. The whole family gets more use out of this then my smokey Mercury Racing OB's !

Looks real nice Tim
Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Chuck.
The wife and kids really enjoy the pool while I get to maintain my two ponds and a stream at the sound of two waterfalls....
My wife was so against the ponds, but it was something I personally wanted to build and enjoy every minute of it...

Other pics of it:
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/2pondsandstream

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-31-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.