Like Tree0Likes

Mr. Marine a one stop shop

Reply
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
  #1
10x
10x
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: La Grange Ill
My Boats: 1989 10 mtr Fountain
Posts: 4,799
Default Mr. Marine a one stop shop

Just a friendly reminder to us northern boaters that spring is closer than we think. A few days back, I was in northern Wisc by Mercury racing, and had the opportunity to stop by Mr. Marine and say hello to Magnum Mark. The new shop he has is quite a unique setup. Mark introduced me to Dan, one of his certified Merc mechanics, and this guy is a world of info on everything from high performance to outboards. I was really impressed with how knowledgeable he was in all fields of mechanics. Explained every question I had to great detail. That alone is something that most mechanics rarely take the time to talk to anyone about. I would like to thank Dan for enlightening me on some info that I had questions about. AND, also, thank Magnum Mark for having all the components I was looking for to do my spring freshen ups on my engines. The prices that this shop gives its customers is better than any other place I've shopped at, and I will continue to make Mr. Marine my one stop shop and keep their number on my speed dial.

I was given a detailed tour of the whole marina, and I was really impressed with the abundance of Merc used take off's that they keep in stock. Anything that I could think of they had either new or used "like new". That's something that most marinas seldom carry, a complete selection of used like new parts.
While I was talking to Mark, I asked him if he had, or knew where I could find some "hard to find" components for my SSM drives. He knew what I needed, and knew the part #'s, but did'nt have them in stock. BUT, he made one call, and I've got my parts that I've been searching for, for quite a while, being sent right to my door. That's just an example of why I say that this place is our "One stop shop"

Thank you Mark, Dan, and crew, and to the lovely Connie that runs the ship and keeps the marina rolling.

Guys, put this # on your speed dial......920-921-7070, you won't regret it.
Check out their website at www.mrmarine.com
__________________
Fountain powerboats rule "The Preacher"
Chicago Powerboat Club Director
[email protected]
www.chicagopowerboat.com
10x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
dykstra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, IL
My Boats: 29' FOUNTAIN 525SC
Posts: 5,341
Default

Great to hear!!
dykstra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 AM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
J-Bonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH / Pewaukee, WI
My Boats: 38 TopGun & 21 Apache Scout
Posts: 4,934
Default

Nice, I may have to take a break from the boat and check the place out... Its only 45 minutes away....
J-Bonz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
MILD THUNDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: chicago
My Boats: 38 Fountain
Posts: 10,899
Default

Never heard anything but good things about both Magnum mark, and Mel Riggs. They were around long before the internet. Most local old timers who aren't computer savvy, only know and knew one place to call when they needed something, and it was Mel Riggs. I remember calling Melvin a few years back, about either fixing or replacing my broken trs drive. He had a few options, either rebuilding mine, or just get a brand new never seen water trs still in the box. He was very nice on the phone to talk to. Which is also rare these days. Its amazing the stuff they have on hand up there.

He rebuilt a friend of mines #4 speedmasters last year. Getting parts were not a issue.

http://mrmarineinc.com/index.php/about-us/
MILD THUNDER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: LaPorte, IN
My Boats: Profile 280 Cat with Twin 300 whackas
Posts: 82
Default

Good to know. It is very hard to find any good outboard service shops anywhere in northwest Indiana or Chicago area.
twin whackas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
  #6
10x
10x
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: La Grange Ill
My Boats: 1989 10 mtr Fountain
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin whackas View Post
Good to know. It is very hard to find any good outboard service shops anywhere in northwest Indiana or Chicago area.

I hear ya on that note. I personally don't know a whole bunch about outboards, and don't know anyone in our local area that I would consider to be "experts" on them, or even consider bringing my boat to. That being said, after a long and lenghty conversation with Dan, and seeing the 20 some outboards he's curently working on, I would'nt hesitate a minute to give him a call and take my boat to him, if I had a outboard boat.

Only about a 2 1/2 hr. drive from chi-town, and well worth the trip. Not to mention only a mile or so off the interstate, and easy to get to.
__________________
Fountain powerboats rule "The Preacher"
Chicago Powerboat Club Director
[email protected]
www.chicagopowerboat.com
10x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
  #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
Never heard anything but good things about both Magnum mark, and Mel Riggs. They were around long before the internet. Most local old timers who aren't computer savvy, only know and knew one place to call when they needed something, and it was Mel Riggs. I remember calling Melvin a few years back, about either fixing or replacing my broken trs drive. He had a few options, either rebuilding mine, or just get a brand new never seen water trs still in the box. He was very nice on the phone to talk to. Which is also rare these days. Its amazing the stuff they have on hand up there.

He rebuilt a friend of mines #4 speedmasters last year. Getting parts were not a issue.

http://mrmarineinc.com/index.php/about-us/
+ 100
and def nice to hear a shop doing what they say and not just luring in new boaters and telling them 1 thing and charging them another and bending them over and laughing all the way to the bank like that other shop ..
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
  #8
10x
10x
VIP Member
Thread Starter
 
10x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: La Grange Ill
My Boats: 1989 10 mtr Fountain
Posts: 4,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 View Post
+ 100
and def nice to hear a shop doing what they say and not just luring in new boaters and telling them 1 thing and charging them another and bending them over and laughing all the way to the bank like that other shop ..


Bill, I have know Magnum Mark for over 25 years. In that time, he has never steered me wrong on anything I've asked his opinion on. Sometimes I did'nt like his answer to my question, but in the end, I always found that he was 100% correct.
All the boaters that I know, who know Mark, can all tell you that he's a man of his word. One of the few last guys that you don't have to worry about your stuff getting swapped out orcoming back to pick up your boat and find a bunch of junk that was put on instead of what you ordered.

I've learned alot from Mark in the time I've known him, and the one thing that stands out the most is, he treats everyone with respect and tells you like it really is, and maybe not what you are expecting to hear. That's something that alot of guys, especially in this boating industry, have seemed to fail to do lately. Most shops are all about the money, and how much they can drain out of you. Not this one. Wish there were more shops like Mr. Marine. Just my $.02
__________________
Fountain powerboats rule "The Preacher"
Chicago Powerboat Club Director
[email protected]
www.chicagopowerboat.com
10x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
  #9
Registered
 
Roger 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kankakee Illinois
My Boats: 1993 Cigarette Top Gun
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
Bill, I have know Magnum Mark for over 25 years. In that time, he has never steered me wrong on anything I've asked his opinion on. Sometimes I did'nt like his answer to my question, but in the end, I always found that he was 100% correct.
All the boaters that I know, who know Mark, can all tell you that he's a man of his word. One of the few last guys that you don't have to worry about your stuff getting swapped out orcoming back to pick up your boat and find a bunch of junk that was put on instead of what you ordered.

I've learned alot from Mark in the time I've known him, and the one thing that stands out the most is, he treats everyone with respect and tells you like it really is, and maybe not what you are expecting to hear. That's something that alot of guys, especially in this boating industry, have seemed to fail to do lately. Most shops are all about the money, and how much they can drain out of you. Not this one. Wish there were more shops like Mr. Marine. Just my $.02

Couldn't agree with you more Frank. I havn't known Mark as long as you but have learned a lot from Him in the time that I have known Him. I don't think that any customer will ever leave His shop feeling that they have been misled or cheated.
Roger 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: LaPorte, IN
My Boats: Profile 280 Cat with Twin 300 whackas
Posts: 82
Default

Thanks for the info Frank. A 3 hour drive is well worth the piece of mind knowing something will be done right.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I hear ya on that note. I personally don't know a whole bunch about outboards, and don't know anyone in our local area that I would consider to be "experts" on them, or even consider bringing my boat to. That being said, after a long and lenghty conversation with Dan, and seeing the 20 some outboards he's curently working on, I would'nt hesitate a minute to give him a call and take my boat to him, if I had a outboard boat.

Only about a 2 1/2 hr. drive from chi-town, and well worth the trip. Not to mention only a mile or so off the interstate, and easy to get to.
twin whackas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.