ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ?? >

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Notices

ATECO ENGINE SHOP ? GOOD or BAD ??

Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
Ateco specifically states if anyone installs their engines other than themselves, its void of warranty AND they dont even do engine installs. Tell me where you read that in these engine builders you've provided.
You may want to read the Ateco Warranty again regarding who can install. It DOES NOT "specifically state that if anyone installs their engines other than themselves, its void of warranty".

From the Ateco Warranty page under limitations;
Improper installation and any resulting damage.
Installation not performed by certified professional mechanics.

The intent is to prevent some shade tree mechanic from butchering up the rigging / installation and then claiming they are owed a new motor when it grenades. That intent is in every warranty whether it's explicitly written or not. I don't know anyone that offers a "No Questions Asked" marine engine warranty.

From the Propower marine warranty limitations-
2. Defective or improper installation;

From the Ilmor warranty limitations -
(d) Repair or service of the Ilmor Marine Engine or Ilmor INDY Drive by a dealer not approved or authorized by Ilmor:

From the Volvo Penta warranty -
This warranty does not cover any Volvo Penta product that has been subject to misuse, neglect, accident, or that has been improperly installed, operated, or maintained.

From Raylar -
We at Raylar warranty our components for one year as our parts warranty and we will carefully investigate the "What and the Why" of any failures

I have never bought a Sterling, Pfaff, Chief, Merc Racing, etc. engine so I don't have access to their warranties. And they all choose not to post their warranties on line. However, I'd bet a tank of gas they all have some exclusions related to improper installation. Merc most likely has to be Merc certified technician installation to be covered.

I suspect that at some point in Ateco's history they have honored some warranty claims, and they have probably denied some warranty claims. Probably just like every other engine builder out there.

I don't have time to argue every point in a warranty. There are a million scenarios you could go through for every exclusion / limitation listed and not listed. It's about establishing some basic understanding of responsibilities and expectations on both parties and the way that is done today is through a warranty.

And when the parties can't seem to reach an agreement in the event of some problem, there are thousands of lawyers that are more than happy to help them settle.

All I am saying is that the Ateco Warranty is materially no differerent than most (I won't say all because I have not see all) warranties.

In this madness called the boating hobby, you win some, you lose some. I've been on both ends and the lose some has cost way more than I ever imagined in my 15 years of boat ownership. I have learned to accept that is just the cost of having a good time and going fast.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterbum
You may want to read the Ateco Warranty again regarding who can install. It DOES NOT "specifically state that if anyone installs their engines other than themselves, its void of warranty".

(d) Repair or service of the Ilmor Marine Engine or Ilmor INDY Drive by a dealer not approved or authorized by Ilmor:

This warranty does not cover any Volvo Penta product that has been subject to misuse, neglect, accident, or that has been improperly installed, operated, or maintained.

From Raylar -
We at Raylar warranty our components for one year as our parts warranty and we will carefully investigate the "What and the Why" of any failures
Wow, thanks for doing my work for me. That worked out perfectly. You proved my point for me. Now explain to me how you're not seeing the difference? Let's go through this one more time.

Not stating that it needs to be a certified profession mechanic to install. Therefore, not the same as Ateco.

As I stated before, Ilmor does have a certification program. Nothing new to the table here.
Not stating that it needs to be a certified profession mechanic to install. Therefore, not the same as Ateco.

From Raylar -

Also, there are ways to get your engine fixed in all the above, expect for ateco. There's room for the mechanic to work with you according to their warranty information. Ateco's provides no way out from the get-go.

Now that we've soldified the warranties are in fact not the same, you still haven't acknowledged my previous point. The warranty is void before you put the engine in the boat. Not only is the warranty void, but they're actually FISHING for a customer that WILL void the warranty. The price is that of a "do it yourself", trade in your old short block for a new short block only $5,975! That's actually their slogan. They gearing towards the guy having his buddies come over, yank the block out and get a new one for cheap. You're on the water in no time. Yet, without a warranty. The guy spending $6k on a short block isn't the same guy paying a mechanic $495 for the yank and $495 for the install (those are NY prices, excuse the inflation). There's no argument against that.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Iam suprised a lawyer hasn't came slinking around this thread yet...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

It is a well known fact that the words "warranty and hi performance" don't go together.

The words "warranty and racing" can't even be spoken in the same sentence.

I have never owned a boat engine that I expected to get fixed for free if broken until now with my new 700sc's and I really do not expect that will happen.

But I also do not expect to be treated like a big pile of steaming dog chit if something does happen that clearly should not.

There can be no written rules and lawyer speak to describe right and wrong in this business. I have heard many whine and cry warranty when it clearly is not and it is usually the guys that should not be in go fast boating to begin with.

If you can't stand the reality of blowing up a very expensive motor in the blink of an eye, then get out of the bolster. It comes with it.

But to be taken advantage of by some arrogant shop who starts out with the idea that "the customer is alway wrong" is not part of the deal. A shop has to take a certain amount of it's profit and set it aside for customers that have issues with work they do.

Sometimes blame can't be assigned, but for me it has always been more important to have my customer return again, than prove them right or wrong, even when wrong.

Learn the fine art of compromise. Return the phone call quickly and for gosh sake, tell the truth. It can't go wrong
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
"Notice none of the big players start this up lubejobs, blume, dolla, animalhouse, pblams, and slw388 just to name a few."
LOL.......big players? Haaaaaaaaaaaa! Most of those people don't even have an offshore power boat!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Registered

here i am guys....

i only asked for some opinions !! i havent said the whole story in public as im in testing mode and still testing my boat....

as for now i havent taken the boat to WOT with the new engine....therefore i dont have accurate and definite results on what to speak on!

infact i have spoken to ateco on the phone and he gave me some steps that i need to follow....i will do what he is telling me to do, and see if i will get some positive results...

the reason why i never posted after i started the thread is because i did not take the engine to max rpm and only tried the stock prop....so i will try different props and tune the engine on Bill's orders....

all i want you to understand is that i only wanted opinions and not attacks towards ateco.....All of the guys at ateco including bill have been great to me and have provided me gd service till now....all i was doing is asking a question and not trash or put a bad reputation on the builder....asking a question is not stating something right ?

the reason why i did not continue to reply on this thread is because im still in testing mode and still have some stuff to do..... bill knows this from our last conversation...but yet again i cant really speak for now......after testing i was in doubt and asked for some opinions!

if you read my thread i was only asking and never attacked in anyway the builder....

but i will keep you guys posted with how everything is going!

Last edited by DonZ; 04-01-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonZ
here i am guys....

i only asked for some opinions !! i havent said the whole story in public as im in testing mode and still testing my boat....

as for now i havent taken the boat to WOT with the new engine....therefore i dont have accurate and definite results on what to speak on!

infact i have spoken to ateco on the phone and he gave me some steps that i need to follow....i will do what he is telling me to do, and see if i will get some positive results...

the reason why i never posted after i started the thread is because i did not take the engine to max rpm and only tried the stock prop....so i will try different props and tune the engine on Bill's orders....

all i want you to understand is that i only wanted opinions and not attacks towards ateco.....All of the guys at ateco including bill have been great to me and have provided me gd service till now....all i was doing is asking a question and not trash or put a bad reputation on the builder....asking a question is not stating something right ?

the reason why i did not continue to reply on this thread is because im still in testing mode and still have some stuff to do..... bill knows this from our last conversation...but yet again i cant really speak for now......after testing i was in doubt and asked for some opinions!

if you read my thread i was only asking and never attacked in anyway the builder....

DonZ,
We all know you are not bashing Ateco, but you hit on a sensitive subject and all this came out due to other customers, not you.

I have been guilty of exactly what happened to you. You build up in your mind what the new power will be like to the point that anything short of a nitro burning top fuel motor would not meet your expectations.

The last 10 mph in a boat are the hardest to get. Good luck to you on your project and I am sure there is more left in your engine when you get it dialed in.

This whole thread has been pretty one sided up until here. Let's hear from Ateco customers who have had their issues handled in a timely manor and in a way they felt was fair.

There is no questions these guys build some good product, but lets hear what the do above and beyond the norm and how they handle their dirty laundry.

Last edited by ElimiNordic; 04-01-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

DonZ,
please empty your pm box so i can respond. thanks, dan
Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Dan Pls go ahead, i have deleted the msgs as we spk....
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DonZ
here i am guys....

I am sorry but you sat back and watched Ateco get a beating and now you come back and say you are only looking for opinions and still testing?

I dont care either way and Im sure Im going to get chit for my post but come on.

Good Luck with your engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.