Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Narrowed decision between donzi 22zx and baja h2x. any advice? >

Narrowed decision between donzi 22zx and baja h2x. any advice?

Notices

Narrowed decision between donzi 22zx and baja h2x. any advice?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
The H2x is a nice introductory boat to the sport boat thing. After racing and fishing for years with HP outboards, I became very familiar with hull technology. The H2x has the most efficient bottom of any Baja I have seen. It has 3 strakes per side, flat chines and a small delta pad. It does not have a notch pad. Mine ran 62 GPS with the stock 7.4MPI, which I found a little boring after running 120 in a drag boat.
A Procharger took it to 72; small blower motor (B&M 250 on a 454, est 600HP) took it to 82/83 GPS. A friend with a similar setup (502/250 B&M) installed an extension box on his and ran very close to 90. You'll need hydraulic steering over 75.
The boat is nicely laid out and has a decent cuddy for it's size. The ride seemed very nice for it's size. I prefered the styling of the performance series better than the boxy traditional Outlaws, but that is a personal thing. The fairing is (vs the tall windshield) is pretty cool too.
Donzis are obviously great boats too. I would ride in and drive both.
Regards,
Steve
Great Looking boat. My first performance boat was a Hammer with the 7.4l. It was alot of fun but you will get beat up when the water starts to get rough.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I remember the dead rise is only 1 degrees more on the H2X over the Hammer. The Donzi on the other hand I think has a 24 degree deadrise like a true offshore boat. Forsure the Donzi is a well built boat but the 22ZX is a number of years older in design than the H2X and looks it if they were parked beside each other. We still have a 01 Hammer with a 454Mag Mpi and it runs 70 - 72mph gps. I suspect thoses two boats would be about 3 -4 mph slower under the same power. PS the H2X will lanch out of the water in the right conditons and be tons of fun. Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
The H2x has the most efficient bottom of any Baja I have seen. It has 3 strakes per side, flat chines and a small delta pad. It does not have a notch pad. Mine ran 62 GPS with the stock 7.4MPI, which I found a little boring after running 120 in a drag boat.
A Procharger took it to 72; small blower motor (B&M 250 on a 454, est 600HP) took it to 82/83 GPS. A friend with a similar setup (502/250 B&M) installed an extension box on his and ran very close to 90.
Not trying to be a basher. But, if a 24' hull needs 600HP to run 82 MPH, I'd be looking for a different hull.