Notices

Donzi 22zx

Old 05-23-2002, 05:10 PM
purplemoon

Question Donzi 22zx

I am looking for feedback on a Donzi 22zx. My interests are handling problems, performance and any other insight that can be provided. Any information anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance

Old 05-23-2002, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I owned one

The 22 ZX was a good boat, I had a Supercharged 454/510 hp. The hull can take a beating and did not ride like a 22. I ran in Poker runs with some of the big boys. The step hull is not as bad as some make them out to be. I learned how to handle the boat the right way. When you trim only trim 1/4 way on the drive at all times, DO NOT TUCK THE DRIVE IN when making a turn this will cause the boat to stuff! You don't have to over trim the boat either. Other then that she is a real good boat , There is not to many boats in that size that can keep up with a 22ZX in rough water. I hope this some what of a help. Any other Questions don't hesitate and E-Mail me. If your interested in a new one let me know I will see what I can do for a price on a 2003.
Attached Thumbnails Donzi 22zx-donzipokerrun2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1999 22ZX 350 Mag the 2000 and 2001 season.
Lots of good bads and others.
Goods:
- Very sharp boat, looks larger than a 22.
- Great Warranty if you get ZCare (5 year) note it can only be transfered twice.
- Great resale value, I made a few hundred after 2 years use and 360 hours.
- Search Boat Trader and you WILL NOT find 40 of them, maybe 3 or 4, they are not "every boat you see."
- Pretty fast, honest consistant 63 to 64 MPH GPS boat. On a rare day in ideal conditions I did see upper 60's, but it was rare. The 454 ones are realatively the same, but I only know that from what I have read, benefit on them is the Bravo drive.
Planed very fast. She will pass most comperable single engine boats in choppy water especially.
- Cuddy was big enough for small kids and storage.

Bads:
- Seats are weak, swivel/pedestal.
- Stereo not in a good spot to use, fits tight due to location and boat rigging, a pain to change out or work on.
- No back of the front seat grab handles for kids etc.
- If you get the SBC the Alpha Gen II failed me due to normal us twice. (3rd time was my fault "CRABPOT!")
- I had fairing cracking issues. Not common, I know of only 2 or three 22's and 26's that have had this issue and Donzi always stood by us, but I would examine it closely.
- I did spin my old 22ZX, purely an operator error and accident, I turned her hard at about 45ish and was not trimmed, she spun, no one was hurt etc, a scarey one second of my life. Was the boat safe, yes.
Heard a funny rumor about that story at the last Donzi gathering!
I had to laugh.

OVERALL we had two GREAT seasons in ours, we had some issues but DONZI always stood by warranty issues with me thus far, I now have a 2001 26ZX. And who don't have an issue or two with a boat?
Anyway tThe 22ZX looks and feels like a true offshore performance boat but in big water (we live on the chesapeake bay) she will land fairly hard, one of the reasons I moved up in size, night and day difference. If doing it all over I would take the same path! The 22ZX is a fun starter boat, they are a sharp and exciting boat for less that $30 thousand bucks.
Warranty transfer fees are $75 Hull to Donzi (5 year) and $125 to Marine Innovations for the 5 year bow to stern ZCare.

Bryan
[email protected]