Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Difference is on land only place a Lambo or 200mph bike can stretch its legs LEGALLY is on a closed track wheras on the water you can run 150+ legally down the middle of a public lake on a poker run (not a race,LOL) with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jetskiers that can cut you off at anytime.
I also agree,sadly, that all its gonna take is one accident between a poker run boat and some bozo with twenty kids onboard that cuts across a pack of boats to happen to throw a blanket speed limit over all inland waters,
I cant think of any other sport where you can run wide open thru a populated public area..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Too much Big Brother in the world already. Personal responsibility and common sense have to prevail. The Darwin Theory will rid out those without it.

While I agree with your premise, I disagree w/your solution. I don't wear seatbelts or helmets for spite though... right or wrong. I hate being told I HAVE to do ANYthing. Supposed to be a free country and it’s becoming everything but.
Originally Posted by nadledvinka
Well put.

Until other people get hurt or killed because of it. Then it's a mess.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
When is Fast too Fast?

Ken Warby would probably say around 300 mph
Too fast is when it puts the people in your boat or people that are running near you in iminate danger..
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Personal responsibility and common sense have to prevail. The Darwin Theory will rid out those without it.

I don't wear seatbelts or helmets for spite though...
Too funny...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Difference is on land only place a Lambo or 200mph bike can stretch its legs LEGALLY is on a closed track wheras on the water you can run 150+ legally down the middle of a public lake on a poker run (not a race,LOL) with a ton of clueless weekend boaters and jetskiers that can cut you off at anytime.
I also agree,sadly, that all its gonna take is one accident between a poker run boat and some bozo with twenty kids onboard that cuts across a pack of boats to happen to throw a blanket speed limit over all inland waters,
I cant think of any other sport where you can run wide open thru a populated public area..
This is it! We frequent Lake Travis and the lawyers and public will become involved as soon as the first bad accident is ricocheted through the media and then speed limits will result. It will spawn a whole new class of water cop and raise local revenues and make everybody happy. I don't know about you all but in the great big wide world out there I have to defend my 42 Fountains' measly 85 mph far more than I get wow comments or compliments about it. Wait untill MADD gets involved...
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
This is it! We frequent Lake Travis and the lawyers and public will become involved as soon as the first bad accident is ricocheted through the media and then speed limits will result. It will spawn a whole new class of water cop and raise local revenues and make everybody happy. I don't know about you all but in the great big wide world out there I have to defend my 42 Fountains' measly 85 mph far more than I get wow comments or compliments about it. Wait untill MADD gets involved...
X2 the more topics like this the more laws come out of it! Before long we all will be sitting around wondering what happend to our sport! Law are made by people who make money off of them remember that!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
The thing with as fast as you want in public areas is this. Dont matter how much of a Bad A$$ ur are or your boat you can never judge what others are going to do. Thats why I say high speeds keep it in races and Open water. Going down a river or lake on a packed day doing 150 is just reckless
I think only drunks or other a$$holes do that.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
This sais it ALL. Attitude. Just becouse you can? why would you go WOT in a "public area" with little kids tubing behind a Bayliner.? I don't care if you can go 180 or 80. There is a place and time for everything. WOT.?? >>> 10 miles off shore. (or where in fact you DO have the manuvering room) Ergo... "Offshore" perfomance boat.
just my .02
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TG is no where near that catagory,but what I think the problem is coming to a stop as opposed to getting up to speed. Things happen VERY quickly at 85, I cant imagine 185.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
why would you go WOT in a "public area" with little kids tubing behind a Bayliner.? I don't care if you can go 180 or 80. There is a place and time for everything. WOT.?? >>> 10 miles off shore. (or where in fact you DO have the manuvering room) Ergo... "Offshore" perfomance boat.
just my .02
A large number of poker runs are held on inland lakes in public waters on prime boating weekends..
I would dare say most are running wide open.
I know I run close to wide open on poker runs ,
of course my speed is 60-70 not 150 but even then
I am constantly scanning/looking/worrying of what joe blow is gonna do as we go by..

I am completely against speed limits but do think poker runs should start
employing some better speration of the runs from the public just like if it was a race
which even though some will argue and say I am crazy for many IT IS A RACE ..
When you have a pack of boats with 1000+hp engines,canopies,helmets,intercoms and chase copters racing each other to get to the next stop first thats a race,not a fun run,not a poker run,its a race granted an un sanctioned one...

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 03-31-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.