Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I have a ford explorer...I cant crank the wheel at 60 without putting it on its roof....

Yet I have had it for 10 years and have not flipped it once. Every boat, plane and car has a speed governer, and it usually works really well.

However if there is a direct short between speed governer's brain and throttle hand there will be problems. It doesnt matter if its a 1974 ford station wagon or a mystic with turbines, there will be problems,

If your afraid...dont get in the boat. if you dont trust or know the operator, dont get in the boat.

If your climbing into a 150 mph boat being operated by someone you dont know, dont trust or have any reservations about, Mister Darwin would like to speak to you.

If you are running a 150 mph boat and lack the skills to safely operate a 19' bayliner, Mr. Darwin would like to talk to you....

The bottom line is that a 46' boat with triple 1300's is no more dangerous than a geo metro....both are safe when operated prudently, both are deadly if there is a loose nut behind the wheel.

Whether your an operator or a passanger it is your responsibility to check the nut behind the wheel.

Just because you dont want to accept responsibility for your actions does not make a vehicle dangerous.

Last edited by phragle; 04-03-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I have a ford explorer...I cant crank the wheel at 60 without putting it on its roof....

Yet I have had it for 10 years and have not flipped it once. Every boat, plane and car has a speed governer, and it usually works really well.

However if there is a direct short between speed governer's brain and throttle hand there will be problems. It doesnt matter if its a 1974 ford station wagon or a mystic with turbines, there will be problems,

If your afraid...dont get in the boat. if you dont trust or know the operator, dont get in the boat.

If your climbing into a 150 mph boat being operated by someone you dont know, dont trust or have any reservations about, Mister Darwin would like to speak to you.

If you are running a 150 mph boat and lack the skills to safely operate a 19' bayliner, Mr. Darwin would like to talk to you....

The bottom line is that a 46' boat with triple 1300's is no more dangerous than a geo metro....both are safe when operated prudently, both are deadly if there is a loose nut behind the wheel.

Whether your an operator or a passanger it is your responsibility to check the nut behind the wheel.

Just because you dont want to accept responsibility for your actions does not make a vehicle dangerous.
I agree. We have an Explorer also, among other cars, a 2001 with no accident history.

The San Jacinto River in industrial East Houston is a slow moving 75-150 yard wide river that was ideal for water skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, and had lots of nice houses to look at when I was young. Now you'd better not go there in less than a Klingon battle cruiser if you hope to survive. It's full of redneck idiots running these flatbottom and tunnel hull outboards and jet boats with only 2 speeds - 0 or 90. I met a girl once whose boyfriend lost a leg after being run over and prop mangled by one of these drunk and insane idiots after he fell waterskiing. She said it looked like he had been attacked by sharks and he barely survived. I can here it now, "Well don't water ski where those guys are". Hey, the water sports people were there FIRST, for many years, until these idiots from hell showed up and started maiming and killing people while they improved on their beer buzz. It's difficult to find words that describe these People of Walmart morons that get sht faced and go out and drive 100 mph.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Im just tired of people that no longer want to take responsibility for their own actions. No matter what happens, they have somebody or something to blame but themselves. At the rate its going, the OB/GYN is going to have a waiver for you to sign before he lets you out of the womb.

**WARNING**
Being alive has been known to cause death. The environment outside the womb contains substances known to cause cancer, alcoholism, and other unknown ailments.

DO NOT ENTER LIFE
If you may be pregnant, have back or neck conditions, heart problems, respiratory issues or any other medical condition that may put you at risk for injury, illness or death from experiencing life, being born increases these risks

Last edited by phragle; 04-04-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PERFECT !!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I do not necesarily disagree with the view point of taking ownership of your actions, and suffering the consequesnces of bad decision making, but I do not like it when other boater's bad decision making affects me and the recreational sport of powerboating. That I am adamant about, and think it is bullsh*t that due to few careless/reckless individuals that governmental interference should be implemented in order to save lives.

And yes the Geo can flip over, and so can the Ford Explorer, and both Ford and GMC get sued and lose.

Off to defend the criminals, have an enjoyable day, and I wish it were that simple of answer for us all.

Last edited by Smarty; 04-04-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: No reason to make a rude remark about PI Attorneys, I apologize
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Im just tired of people that no longer want to take responsibility for their own actions. No matter what happens, they have somebody or something to blame but themselves. At the rate its going, the OB/GYN is going to have a waiver for you to sign before he lets you out of the womb.

**WARNING**
Being alive has been known to cause death. The environment outside the womb contains substances known to cause cancer, alcoholism, and other unknown ailments.

DO NOT ENTER LIFE
If you may be pregnant, have back or neck conditions, heart problems, respiratory issues or any other medical condition that may put you at risk for injury, illness or death from experiencing life, being born increases these risks
HA HA! Good one!

I tell people, "Did you know that every week you live takes another week off the end of your life?". NO JOKE Comrades, I have had many people reply "No way, that doesn't, just because I lived a week? I wasn't even sick or nuthin'... "
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
I totally understand your feelings and agree somewhat. But unless you are 5miles out or on the big lakes you are not the the only one out on the water. Whether others are acting correctly or not, driving 140 or even 10+ is a danger for everybody. Ocean, races, big lakes, go for it, rivers smaller lakes have a speed limit is a good idea
I WISH I HAD A BOAT THAT WENT 135+mph! Now if I owned such a boat I would not make and abrupt turn at WOT unless I want to meet Jesus. And until a safer technology is developed, I will assume the risk of injury due to negliengent operation of my 135+ mph boat when making such a turn at full speed, does that sound better for some of ya? Thought it would. That is the defense. You pick which would stand up in court (design defect or negligence), based on the facts of the accident, and this suit is the victim versus the manufacturer, then there is another suit of the passenger versus the driver and manufacturer. Good luck in reaching your decision, there is not a right or wrong answer, just an answer based upon a specific set of circumstances and facts. I have to get back to work.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
I totally understand your feelings and agree somewhat. But unless you are 5miles out or on the big lakes you are not the the only one out on the water. Whether others are acting correctly or not, driving 140 or even 10+ is a danger for everybody. Ocean, races, big lakes, go for it, rivers smaller lakes have a speed limit is a good idea
Roads have speed limits but there are idiots on the road. I know that and realize I may die driving 3 blocks to get coffee in the morning. Thus I drive defensively and keep an eye on my surroundings to avoid the idiots. As soon as you legislate idiocy out of existance, the idiots will evolve into bigger better idiots.

Last edited by phragle; 04-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
I WISH I HAD A BOAT THAT WENT 135+mph! Now if I owned such a boat I would not make and abrupt turn at WOT unless I want to meet Jesus. And until a safer technology is developed, I will assume the risk of injury due to negliengent operation of my 135+ mph boat when making such a turn at full speed, does that sound better for some of ya? Thought it would. That is the defense. You pick which would stand up in court (design defect or negligence), based on the facts of the accident, and this suit is the victim versus the manufacturer, then there is another suit of the passenger versus the driver and manufacturer. Good luck in reaching your decision, there is not a right or wrong answer, just an answer based upon a specific set of circumstances and facts. I have to get back to work.
I have a close friend who used to be a PI atty until he "grew a conscience". Now he is one of the busiest mediators in Houston.

He made millions in PI. He told me, "When I read a case, I didn't give a rat sass what was right or wrong. My only thought was Can I get the jury to go my way on this?"

So your kind words are nice, but I think it just boils down to that, if you are going to make any real money as an atty. Where is public opinion at the time of your case?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I guess you're right that motorsport technically refers to racing but I used it for lack of a better word to mean any form of motorized recreational vehicle. You are right there is a difference I didn't realize until I googled the definition.
Understandable, I would´ve called this a Performance Hobby as in fact many people otherwise would call Poker Runs a form of Motorsport and this way giving the sanctioned organisations and sports a bad rep IMO.
Yes I´m sensitive as the reason is I´ve witnessed in my 43yrs of age 2 closed down Racetracks within 100 miles of me, unmeasurable numbers of Karting tracks and projects of tracks getting killed Mx tracks etc etc... Lets not kill Offshore Racing which is almost destructing itselfeverywhere without any outside help...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 04-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.