Notices

When is fast too fast?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read this thread, not going to comment on how fast is too fast but I read in several posts about slower boats stopping , cutting in front of faster boats, pulling tubers, and a bunch of people in pontoon boats . And no mention of the rules of the road on the water. If some one stops in front of you thay have right of way ( you are passing them) If they are passing in front of you from the right they have right of way , if comming up on a sale boat it has right of way all the time under sail, not when they are running their motor.
So maybe it is too fast when you cannot safely follow the rules of the road for the conditions you are in and it is that simple.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
7. This has nothing to do with so called "freedoms". It's simply about maturity and common sense. If you run into me with your 150 mph rice burner on the parkway.... your lame*ss, ignorant, helmet less "freedom" might cost me my life and my "freedom" at the same time.

T2x
Exactly -At what point should my right to be protected from your uncalculated risky behaviour supersede your freedom to do what ever the hell you want?

ND1
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

A lack of seat time bothers me. Someone owning a very fast powerboat and operating it infrequently is a bad combination in my mind.
ed
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x
When you have buried as many friends as I have in boat racing accidents...your petty lines in the sand will obviously blow away, but the scars in those left behind from those losses might as well be cast in ageless stone...for they last and hurt forever.

T2x
…and as a counter to the “big daddy” brigade you’ve got to appreciate the time this chap takes to construct articulate and eloquent points – the above is a study of poignant composition.

ND1
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
This thread echoes sentiments that I have held for years......

Fast boat accidents will doom fast boats eventually.

I have built, raced, sold, collected, and tested....just about every type of high performance powerboat imagineable.

My opinions are simple.....

1. Race boats (regardless of "pleasure" designations) belong on race courses with race control and safety procedures in effect.

2. Poker Runs need speed limits and strict safety rules. However, racing only belongs on a race course (see 1 above) and definitely without "civilians" on board.

3. I have seen people killed in high speed boating accidents at 50 mph and above. The faster you go on water the harder and more dangerous it gets, and the impacts go up exponentially (with both water and cockpit/hull/deck contact).

4. Nobody should drive a "fast boat" (use your own definition)without training and experience. The faster you go the more training and experience you need......

5. Money can't buy talent or common sense...but it can buy horsepower, fancy paint, state of the art laminates, party girls, and alcohol. Those ingredients when mixed together with a big ego and a pecker length issue, can, and do, create a lethal cocktail.

6. A truly fast boat is an impressive thing. Owning one is not necessarily admirable. Knowing how to handle a water borne rocket is the issue (JT, Stevie, Joey I, the Geico boys, Michael Seebold, and a (very) few other top guys can actually lay claim to this). There are far more fast boats than drivers qualified to handle them.

7. This has nothing to do with so called "freedoms". It's simply about maturity and common sense. If you run into me with your 150 mph rice burner on the parkway.... your lame*ss, ignorant, helmet less "freedom" might cost me my life and my "freedom" at the same time. To quote Billy Joel on the subject.......

"And there's always a place for the angry young man
With his fist in the air and his head in the sand
And he's never been able to learn from mistakes
So he can't understand why his heart always breaks
And his honor is pure and his courage is well
And he's fair and he's true and he's boring as hell"

When you have buried as many friends as I have in boat racing accidents...your petty lines in the sand will obviously blow away, but the scars in those left behind from those losses might as well be cast in ageless stone...for they last and hurt forever.

Nuff said...

T2x

+1 - this is about as good a summary of the issue as I have ever read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.