Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cudos when Cudos are deserved..... >

Cudos when Cudos are deserved.....

Notices

Cudos when Cudos are deserved.....

Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cudos when Cudos are deserved.....

Everyone here has either heard of or had a bad experience or two getting boat work done.....I know I have!

We tend to advertise the bad stuff and don't post enough of the good stuff, in my opinion.

I recently installed a Procharger on a fresh rebuilt 454 Mag MPI. All of it, other then machine work was done by myself in my small garage at home. I am not an engine builder, mechanic or even trained in anything mechanical. But out of necessity, because of location and $$$ I try to do most of my own stuff, some people call it being cheap....

I picked a lot of brains on OSO and really appreciated the info and input, although at times it was conflicting info.....

I got to the point on the install and set-up where I needed help with the "fine" tuning and dealing with a couple of "issues"......

I towed the boat very early yesterday morning from Vancouver Island, across on the ferry to North Vancouver, an expensive trip, for me.

I arrived at

http://www.haxbyspeed.com/

where I met with Alex, the owner. Right from the get go he was polite, knowledgable and very tolerant of all my pesky questions!! lol

We got to work, it was pissing rain all day and tucked the boat in the shop out of the elements. First thing he suggested was to get rid of the "junk" Procharger fuel regulator which was basically "fighting" against the re-mapped ECM.......installed a very slick Aeromotive unit. We also changed some lines and fittings.

We did a couple of other small changes and hooked up the scan tool and found a wealth of info, including the fact the original 1996 motor only had 210hrs on it!!!

Alex took the time to explain to me the requirments of the Procharger system on this particular application and what we needed to concentrate on to get it running strond AND safe.

All the items we could address at the shop were done, we drove in the rain to the ramp and after an initial start up check at the ramp headed out. Alex also loaned me a 28P Bravo 1 prop which worked surprisingly well. We knew at this point the problem I was having up at the top end was a fuel delivery issue, by changing the regulator and some of the fuel fittings etc we solved 90% of the problem and with a couple of more small changes by me at home we should have it 100%.

We both agreed it runs like a raped ape and the "pull" is brow raising! It has a lack of fuel up around 5000rpm, it was around 4500rpm before and way more of a "stumble" then now....but at least now I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS....and that was my biggest hurdle!

Once we were happy with the numbers and performance, as far as we could go at that time, we headed back to the shop, it was around 5pm by that point....man was it cold on Indian Arm..

Alex offered to help flush out the boat and rinse it off but I explained I should try and hit the ferry before it gets too late, I had a 3-4 hour drive ahead of me.....

We "settled up" and I left feeling very good about what was accomplished and the important information I had gathered in order for me to finally get this set-up running 100%.

Cudos to Alex for his time, patients, knowledge and humour!

See you all out on the water.....
Old 03-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought you had it sorted on the dyno?

Jeff
Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hallj
Thought you had it sorted on the dyno?

Jeff
I found out Dyno and real world are two different things.......

One issue was on the dyno regular headers were used and a different fuel delivery system, being that the main issue was the fuel delivery, dyno results were moot......

My understanding is a dyno is great for making sure everything was put together correctly and that the engine "works", it also gives "base" lines to work on.................I could be wrong....
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
I found out Dyno and real world are two different things.......

One issue was on the dyno regular headers were used and a different fuel delivery system, being that the main issue was the fuel delivery, dyno results were moot......

My understanding is a dyno is great for making sure everything was put together correctly and that the engine "works", it also gives "base" lines to work on.................I could be wrong....
I always try to run everything I can from the boat. But some times it just isn't possible.
When you have to pay for dyno time, the basics are about all you can do otherwise $$$$$$$$.

Looks like you are going to have a good summer!

Jeff
Old 03-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Jeremy, it was good meeting you. That's a fun little rocket you've got, I really liked the smooth 70mph cruise speed. I will also add that Mark Boos nailed the tune up again through the mail.. Very linear fuel curve easily tweaked with fuel pressure.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Thanks Jeremy, it was good meeting you. That's a fun little rocket you've got, I really liked the smooth 70mph cruise speed. I will also add that Mark Boos nailed the tune up again through the mail.. Very linear fuel curve easily tweaked with fuel pressure.
Good point, I will have to contact Mark and apologize for even thinking the rev limiter setting might be suspect, my bad......

PS. Alex I will need to contact you when I get a list of what fittings I need for the fuel lines as well as the fuel/water seperator unit, I have no idea what they are called and/or sizes etc......
Old 03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Great to hear some news on a sucessful build and tune. Keep up the good service HaxbySpeed!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Great story!!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
Alex I will need to contact you when I get a list of what fittings I need for the fuel lines as well as the fuel/water seperator unit, I have no idea what they are called and/or sizes etc......
The fuel filter is a WIX 33405, and you can get the head at CPPerformance part# 620-3926 it bolts right in place of the stock one.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
The fuel filter is a WIX 33405, and you can get the head at CPPerformance part# 620-3926 it bolts right in place of the stock one.
You da man........thanks, I actually picked up that exact filter AND the Wix head at the local parts store here....

Go figure........

Everything we discussed has been done and she is ready to rock & roll....now about this rain.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.