Notices

Entry level power boat??

Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txsdukhntr
Hey Cosmic12,I can't start off with that..Where would I go from there??LOL..I did see a Powerquest that got my curiosity...What is the normal preventive maintenance on these engines..So many hours what should be done?
O yeah, welcome here to OSO Mr. Hunter. Lots of different options and lot of different people with different ideas. But most importantly, welcome. I like the way your budget just got upped to 70K by cosmic. I know others will tell you the purchase price is just the start. BOAT=(bust out another thousand) Dan
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered

I'll take this opportunity to plug my boat in here, lol. Power to hp ratio, you cant get much better... kryptonite. Only faster boat out there is an activator and phantom. New everything.... 10/10.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35884-en.html
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by zgoo
I'm new here too and hope I not hijacking this thread, but I'm in the market too and I notice the hard deck boats are nice but the cockpits look great when you have to go fast but most are so small in the 25-27 size and the front seats are so tight that if you had 4 to 6 people sitting around when have a beer, they look very cramped. Is there anothers with a mid cabin/BR set up that you guys like?
i was a baja owner and they are good boats but the cockpit does get crowded quickly, i did only have the hammer though, as far as a mcob, i am def partial to nordic, like said earlier, they are def not as common as the others, and the build quality is awesome, huge step up from the baja, and duk, check out nordic 28' heats, though you'll be hard pressed to find any in the 30's that are not from the early 2000's
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
I went through the same search a few years back, and wanted something that will handle big lake water and not look like every other guy w/ an "offshore" (ie you couldn't pay me to take a Baja).

28 Powerplay, 28 Active Thunder, and 28 Pantera are my short list. Twin small blocks or a single blue motor would be my preference for affordability of maintenance/insurance and still decent speed. All 3 of these are "wave crushers" for 28's, with non-stepped hulls so they are easy to run. Very high quality custom built as well, with traditional South Florida offshore styling. Only drawback is there are far fewer on the market than the more production style boats, but it's worth being a little patient to find what you like. Your price range should land a mid 90's boat maybe newer.

There are plenty of other nice options as well, like the Formula's, Fountains (small for their size), Donzi's, PQ's, etc.

Also, be sure to check on insurance based on speed, can get spendy above 75 mph.

Good luck.
+1 with the AT's, Pantera's and Powerplays.

Everybody has said this so I will repeat it. Stock reliable power is the ticket if you want to be boating rather than working on a boat while your friends are boating (454's, 502's, and 500efi).

When I re-built my motors this winter I stayed more or less stock (Changed Cam) with 450hp 502's and bravos. I had a head gasket go and opted to just go ahead and go through everything since the motors were out.

I put 80-90hours a year on my boat and I got 500hrs with no problems out of the original 502's. Literally in 500 hours all I did were Oil changes every 30 hours, sea pumps every other year, caps and rotor every other year, water seperators when doing oil changes, drive service and allignment check each Fall, and put fuel in it.

It is a slippery slope once you start beefing stuff up powerwise. Figure out what you will be happy with power/speed wise and get a boat that reliably can attain that. If that boat doesn't exist in your budget save for another year or two so you can get what you want. So many people change boats every other year and that is a really expensive way to go about moving up in boats.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would consider a Formula 271 or 292 FasTech...around 10~15 years old. Standard stock twin 350 Mags through Alphas push a 29 to 70 and a 300 HP 350 Chevy is about as reliable as you get. I am jaded towards the Formula I guess because I have owned 4 of them along with a Sea Ray. The Formulas aren't the fastest thing out there but you get a VERY SOLID and good riding boat that last a LONG time.

Boats are not an investment but a luxury. Get something that is reasonably marketable and popular in the area where you will do most of your boating. Always study the down side because the upside will take care of it's self. Don't get something wild and crazy that you can't get out of if you need to.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I disagree with the 496HO if you ever plan on souping it up. If you can find a 454/502 boat, you will have a much better engine.

The 496 is great if you will be happy with stock, but moist people are not. If you are more the type to change boats rather than add on an existing boat, than start with a 496HO mag.

But remember, where you start is where you will end without major bucks. A 454 can be built to make lots of hp for a reasonable amount of money.

If you can get one in your price range, get a twin engine boat. If you get much bigger than 25/26 on one engine, you will be SLOW. Of course it goes without saying, you must buy a cat or you will be SLOW.

Good Luck!
I disagree with your disagreement. Raylar Engine has excellent naturally aspirated upgrades to 600hp for the 496.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Don't you want to be different than everybody else? Get a Cat. Nordic is a great boat. Get a Nordic Cat.
Same engine, same length hull, cat=20 mph faster. Less hp faster.
Now I always knew a cat would be faster than a vee, but 20mph? I understand that is just a blanket statement and alot of variables exist, but I was under the impression that maybe 10mph or so, but 20mph?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered

I believe this is the lowest price 500EFI boat in the classifides right now:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o17026-en.html
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered

I like allot of the boats mentioned in here, but Id also take a look at the 26 sutphen rum runner or a 30 ocean pacer, great heratige, lots of racing titles, great rough water capabilities, wide hull forward of the windsheild giving allot of cabin space, and a graduated 26 degree deadrise!

The fit and finish of a sutphen is amazing too.

heres some sutphens for sale
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/sutphen/
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Since I'm new to this I'm just going to find something simple..I really appreciate all the advice..I'll definately be asking for more advice..If you guys were"Bass fisherman" I wouldn't stand a chance..I'm just going to have to be in awe of what you other guys have..You guys have some really awesome boats..I see its a Endless Addiction...Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.