Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The law (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250751-law.html)

berdes 04-04-2011 08:35 PM

The law

Just in case it's real, and anyone is interested:

Another new law is on the way unless we do something about it.
This includes all boats and all ages even if a boat is just floating in the water. This includes trolling for fish. This includes sitting in a john boat duck hunting. This includes partying in a cove at Lake Havasu.
A proposal/resolution to mandate PFD wearing for boaters (any and all ages) passed by a 15 to 5 vote. Next step is to have 12 "town hall" public meetings across the country to gather public input (this process and the evaluation may take as much as 2-3 years). Maybe more troubling was the fact that the National Park Service has bought on to this concept and Lake Mead has been identified as one of the "test" lakes for the one-year program starting January 1, 2012. Pine Flats up in the Fresno area has just started its one-year test program on April 1. It's going to take a major push-back on the part of boaters to squash this thing. Just think, all those beautiful boobies will be covered up by law!! More people drown in bathtubs each year than people do while boating. Furthermore, most people who die in boating accidents die from hypothermia and not drowning.
The only thing a life jacket is good for is making the govts job of finding the body easier.
I will try to keep you all informed as best possible here at GB but, please investigate this yourself as well.
Thank you for your time,

huskyrider 04-04-2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by berdes (Post 3368512)
Just in case it's real, and anyone is interested:

Another new law is on the way unless we do something about it.
This includes all boats and all ages even if a boat is just floating in the water. This includes trolling for fish. This includes sitting in a john boat duck hunting. This includes partying in a cove at Lake Havasu.
A proposal/resolution to mandate PFD wearing for boaters (any and all ages) passed by a 15 to 5 vote. Next step is to have 12 "town hall" public meetings across the country to gather public input (this process and the evaluation may take as much as 2-3 years). Maybe more troubling was the fact that the National Park Service has bought on to this concept and Lake Mead has been identified as one of the "test" lakes for the one-year program starting January 1, 2012. Pine Flats up in the Fresno area has just started its one-year test program on April 1. It's going to take a major push-back on the part of boaters to squash this thing. Just think, all those beautiful boobies will be covered up by law!! More people drown in bathtubs each year than people do while boating. Furthermore, most people who die in boating accidents die from hypothermia and not drowning.
The only thing a life jacket is good for is making the govts job of finding the body easier.
I will try to keep you all informed as best possible here at GB but, please investigate this yourself as well.
Thank you for your time,

I haven't heard anything about this new legislation.
For having a 5 year membership here and posting this crushing news news as your first post post I tip my hat to you.:coolcowboy:

Where is this bill at now, state or national level???

See ya,
Kelly

frankenstein 04-04-2011 11:58 PM

There already is a law in NY along those lines. It is to protect you from hypothermia. In NY, between Nov 1st and April 1st, anybody on a boat 20 feet or smaller must wear a PFD. ( I'm pretty sure it's 20, it might be 21 ). Anyone hear of this before ? I believe it started Nov 2009.

glassdave 04-05-2011 12:01 AM

kind of curious about the claim of hypothermia being a leading cause of death over drowning. That doesnt sound right but like i said just curious about those stats. I am aware exposure is a major concern.

Baja 278 04-05-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by frankenstein (Post 3368652)
There already is a law in NY along those lines. It is to protect you from hypothermia. In NY, between Nov 1st and April 1st, anybody on a boat 20 feet or smaller must wear a PFD. ( I'm pretty sure it's 20, it might be 21 ). Anyone hear of this before ? I believe it started Nov 2009.

Here is the link.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/recreati...sofNewYork.pdf

Catastrophe 04-05-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Baja 278 (Post 3368778)

After reading that it reminds me that there is another thread around here centered on that exact announcement.

Propster 04-05-2011 09:42 AM

The safety police are destroying this country. When I was a kid every lake had a ski jump and you could ride in the back of a pickup. There used to be boat races every year on every little lake. The safey police took care of that. They are not done either. They will regulate and take away every freedom they can in the name of "safety".

When I go to other countries, it sort of feels like the wild west. A little more dangerous, but way more fun.

Catmando 04-05-2011 02:20 PM

Quite possibly the most retarded statement I've read this year. I bet you don't wear your seat belt when you drive your car.

Cash Bar 04-05-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3369104)

Quite possibly the most retarded statement I've read this year.

Obviously you don't re-read your posts before you make them. :grinser010::lolhit:

endeavor1 04-05-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 3369108)
Obviously you don't re-read your posts before you make them. :grinser010::lolhit:

:lolhit: :party-smiley-004: