Like Tree0Likes

gantry crane or forklift?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (4)

My Boats: 38 Fountain Lightning 575sci xr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 272bajadriver View Post
Thanks guys it definitely helps! 4bus engine is almost about done, ended up going with a 540. It's cost me a lot of money but you get what you pay for. At least I know everything is brand new and top of the line stuff. By the way 4bus your cruiser is pretty damn nice! Enjoy that ac and room because I know sometimes when I'm on the water sweating my ass off I wish I had ac! lol Definitely a good buy on your part, congrats!

runninhotracing go to craigslist on florida, all over theres a bunch of forklifts for good prices. There definitely not brand new but a bunch of them look in pretty damn good shape.

I appreciate the help guys, you guys are definitely right a gantry sounds so much better I don't have to worry about somebody driving the forklift and me inside the boat moving stuff around. With a gantry crane it can be done all by yourself. This one I'm looking at is in incredible shape and has been stored inside, its I believe 15 feet hight and 13 feet wide, how the hell do you stand something like that up? lol I'm assuming you build it on its side then use a lot of man power from friends to lift it up from its side?
We forgot to tell you the only way to lift a gantry is with a forklift....guess you got a catch 22?

What did you end up with for internals? Carb, intake, exhaust?

Are you going with new accessories?

Thanks for the good wishes on our sea bus, we will see how long it lasts lol
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Banned

My Boats: 40 SKATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bus View Post
We forgot to tell you the only way to lift a gantry is with a forklift....guess you got a catch 22?

What did you end up with for internals? Carb, intake, exhaust?

Are you going with new accessories?

Thanks for the good wishes on our sea bus, we will see how long it lasts lol
carefull on the good wishes BIG Daddy , he already pulled your drain plugz & grabbed your propelor think of the $ you'll be saving on gas
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
i also have both! my forklift goes 18' high and if you get one with side shift like my Toyota has you can drop a engine in with ease.. yes the gantry is easier to put a engine in with but if your use to using a forklift its just as easy..i use the forklift for everything like moving boats around too..just make sure it has at least 4k lifting capacity so it wont nose over with all the weight on the end of a 10' beam.
+ 1

I'm kind of partial to forklifts since I work at a forklift dealership.

Sideshifter makes all the difference. ( usually 8" back and forth)

Another use for a forklift is pulling drives.

Slide the forks together, put a couple of towels of the
forks and slide the drive off on to the forks.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1992 Progression 22

I'm going to vote for the forklift. We have four of them at the marina I work at and although they're not quite as good as our gantry for pulling motors, they come in handy for all sorts of other things. (And yes, two of ours have side shifters for the forks.) Besides, you can bring the fork truck to the boat, but you have to bring the boat to the gantry. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Registered

My Boats: Old 24 ciggie, 382 fastech, and a big Ole beaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
i also have both! my forklift goes 18' high and if you get one with side shift like my Toyota has you can drop a engine in with ease.. yes the gantry is easier to put a engine in with but if your use to using a forklift its just as easy..i use the forklift for everything like moving boats around too..just make sure it has at least 4k lifting capacity so it wont nose over with all the weight on the end of a 10' beam.
I agree the gantry is much better for single hand operation, but I would also say that my TowMotor is one of the most usefull tools I own. Makes moving things about the shop a pice of cake, and makes stuffing the boat back into the corner a breeze. With some pnematic tires it does just fine on compact gravel as long as you don't get stupid.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Slippery when wet!

The "A" frame is the only way to go for a one man job, forklift moves and brings things to the chain falls,Now the limiting factor of the "A" frame is it's size.,I had a Boom for my 4 ton diesel forklift which could be used but again the there is the issue of controls and additional people involved.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 02 Advantage 30 Victory

I have a tool and die and metal stamping business. I have 3 5,000# Toyota fork truck. All have 3 stage mask that go 180" w/ side shift. I have a 12' boom that I can attach to the forks. We use them for mainly for loading trucks, moving steel and setting dies in presses. Occasionally for maintenance on press. But when it comes to needing to spit a die and handling things delicately. You can not beat a over head crane. Keep in mind if you use a fork truck to pull anything you'll need two people.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

I Have both Make it easy to take boat of trailer or fork truck to move boat around jeff

Easy To Do by yourself
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM
freezeframevideo.net
Commercial Member

this forklift will pick up 2000lbs it is 31" wide a 1954 Clark Lift Was Green i powedcoated Every Part I could Take Off Needed new steering piston Had a couple of little problems but dont know how if you have a mans cave how to get away without it Jeff
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by FREEZE FRAME VIDEO; 04-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Registered

My Boats: feathercraft,Profile 308,Hydrodyne jet deck, hondo runner bottom,24 python,33 elimanator dry sixes

I like the overhead crane set up ,put anything anywhere with one guy,look up lol
Attached Thumbnails
gantry crane or forklift?-winter-pro-091.jpg