Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Better value/market of older raceboats - original or updated??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/250876-better-value-market-older-raceboats-original-updated.html)

fantastixvoyage 04-06-2011 01:50 PM

Better value/market of older raceboats - original or updated???

3 Attachment(s)
Debating what to do with my 24' Pantera 3man.

I'm ready to go thru it and either keep and run in a couple races or sell it to help fund my other build. Either way I want to build it to what would be most marketable.

Option A - keep original and just do a typical rerig update

Option B - makeover/update - modern guages, interior and paint all teal and purple items, etc. etc.

Then comes power options - 550hp or 695hp?

Looking for some input. Thoughts?

2 Trick Rick 04-06-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3370129)
Debating what to do with my 24' Pantera 3man.

I'm ready to go thru it and either keep and run in a couple races or sell it to help fund my other build. Either way I want to build it to what would be most marketable.

Option A - keep original and just do a typical rerig update

Option B - makeover/update - modern guages, interior and paint all teal and purple items, etc. etc.

Then comes power options - 550hp or 695hp?

Looking for some input. Thoughts?

Do something with it !!!! Your damm projects are just taking up shop space.

:evilb::evilb:

mikebrls 04-06-2011 03:17 PM

i would say sell it like it sit's, any money you put into it you will loose in today's market plus it's a old boat . there's a 24 pantera for sale in the classifieds for under $13 k and another with a outboard for $13 k .
so i guess you have to see how much money you will have to invest and what you could sell it for or just sell it like it is and you don't have to worry about it
mike

2 Trick Rick 04-06-2011 03:37 PM

You said you wanted a "cheap" class 6 (or 5) boat that easy to tow and solid, This is you.

Fix it and run it. But remove those stand up bolsters, you look like a bobble head in it.

wjb21ndtown 04-06-2011 03:57 PM

Boats don't really appreciate in value by putting money in them. They sell faster, but not for more money. If you totally re-did the interior, switched it to a pleasure arrangement to appeal to more buyers, painted it, etc. you'd still be lucky to get more than $13k out of the boat. I was going to look at that boat and considered buying it myself.

For what you paid for it you should do alright on it, but I wouldn't do much more than get it running right and/or adding the parts that you want to get full enjoyment out of purchasing, installing and running out of the boat for your own preference, as you're probably not going to see it back out of it when you go to sell it.

There is a really nice, totally updated Carrera in the classifieds that's been for a while at a reasonable price for what it is, but people just don't seem willing to buck up and spend the coin on a re-done boat, and even worse, Banks don't step up and lend more on a totally re-done boat.

fantastixvoyage 04-06-2011 04:06 PM

All valid points. As with everything else I guess it would be up to the particular buyer. Ideal would be someone who wanted a competitive class 5/6 boat.

Tough to guage the value since its so drastically different than other 24's out there. No choice but to keep it "racey" as there is no hope for a cabin or rear seat with this setup. It is purpose built to run hard in any water - someone dumped some coin into making this one solid boat.

WJB - if you were looking to pick this up as a quick project be glad you didn't. As I suspected the nice heads were just tossed on top a worn shortblock and everything in the bilge was jerry-rigged, and the dash pieces were all junk. Still a nice piece overall but FAR from what the seller was representing it as. Good news was the wet floor was just a beauty piece glassed over top the real floor. Real floor was fine.

Still waiting for final word on whats up for racing this year but pretty sure this one will have to go. Just need to decide how far to go on this one. To me the teal/purple would have to go.

ILMORdude 04-06-2011 06:07 PM

what u looking to sell it for? I can put something REAL nice in it! Drive in decent shape?

fantastixvoyage 04-06-2011 06:12 PM

Could use a couple Indy's for the skater! :cool-smiley-011:

ActiveThunder 04-06-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ILMORdude (Post 3370362)
what u looking to sell it for? I can put something REAL nice in it! Drive in decent shape?

I have to assume you never recieved my message on a new build since you didn't answer?