Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
ICE ICE BABY ..... A PowerBoat Racer..? >

ICE ICE BABY ..... A PowerBoat Racer..?

Notices

ICE ICE BABY ..... A PowerBoat Racer..?

Old 05-24-2002, 03:10 AM
Charter Member #1528

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE ICE BABY ..... A PowerBoat Racer..?

Weeell ... little and behold Ice Ice baby had his time as a PowerBoat racer too!

Miami Herald
July 28, 1991

VANILLA ICE WINS POWERBOAT RACE

JORDAN BRESSLER - Herald Writer

Saturday afternoon's running of the first Fort Apache- Hooligans Offshore Grand Prix of Miami had just about everything: calm waters, splashing speed and a victory for a famous rapper in his first time behind a powerboat wheel.

Star Island resident Robert Van Winkle, otherwise known as Vanilla Ice, drove the 48-foot Apache Express, which won the Local II division, one of seven classes contested in the American Powerboat Racing Association-sanctioned event. The race was run on a 15-mile oval course parallel to the coastline between Government Cut to the south and Haulover Cut to the north.

"I felt the need for speed," said Ice, who flew in from Panama, where he had a concert Friday night. Ice had virtually no experience piloting a powerboat before Saturday, save a late- night training session in darkness early last week.

Ice, along with navigator Jay Castline and throttleman Philip Feldman, piloted the 3,000-horsepower craft to speeds of up to 130 miles per hour on their way to taking the checkered flag in the two-hour race.

The top finish in the offshore "D" class, the largest of the four national racing divisions, was recorded by the 32-foot Chill Out, owned and throttled by Miami-based racer Fernando Morales and crewed by driver Humberto Rodriguez and navigator Pedro Garcia.

"The water was flat for the whole race," Morales said. "We were running good from the start, and (the followers) couldn't get to me."

The most-contested division, the "C" class, was won by 31- year powerboating veteran Alex Schwencke, who, along with former hydroplane star, driver Bob Doerr, piloted the 30-foot Trinton named Enterprise over eight other challengers. Enterprise led for three of the five laps, and held off a late challenge by The Forge, a Miami-based Skater, which finished a close second.

All I gotta say is if ICE ICE BABY can, I can!
Old 05-24-2002, 01:36 PM
HavasuCat

Not that it is the same as Offshore racing, but he has experience racing Motocross. I have some friends that went riding with him on a track here in So. Cal. last year and they said he is fast, Probably has enough skill to race at the local Pro level.

With this type of racing experience I think he would be a little more skilled than somebody with none. More than a few ex-pro motocross riders have transitioned into other motorsports. Look at jeff ward, who was a factory rider for Kawasaki for years, he nearly won the Indy 500 a few years back.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Boat Girl

Yeah, I hear hes got lots of experience in motocross as well as a bit of experience in cars...

Old 05-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Registered

Although you can not compare the two offshore boats, I beleive he also owns a 28" Pantera. Its listed on the Pantera website under the owners gallery. So he certainly has some offshore boating experiance. At least more than certain actors and singers.
Old 05-25-2002, 05:47 AM
Charter Member #220
Charter Member

He faked it!

It's just like that, ................... only different
Old 05-25-2002, 11:12 AM
NIT2WIN

I happen to know Rob Van Winkle a/k/a Vanilla Ice and can attest that he is a confirmed adreneline junkie who did (at the time in 1991) own a pantera boat that he would zip around in on the weekends, while living on Star Island (he has since settled down and lives in Davie, Fl.). It is also true that he is a talented and competitive motocross racer spending just about every weekend in Dania on the motocross track. The big difference between now and then was that they didn't run with an "inshore" racing format, it was more of running in a giant oval, triangle or from point A to point B. The boats weren't nearly as fast nor did they usually run within a few feet from one another. Todays racing is much more competitive and requires a greater degree of skill. Also, Rob ran in a V bottom which has a little bit more control in turns (since there was no such thing as a stepped bottom V hull in 1991) than the cats that run today.

Old 05-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Registered

All I gotta saw is he should have taken a few weekends off of the MX track, and took a few boxing lessons before his Danny Bonni?whatever fight. Sounds like he's livin a fun life though.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

He used to race PWC in the IJSBA as well.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:28 PM
NIT2WIN

Default Always do your due diligence

I saw that fight too and must say it was a little embarrassing. What a lot of people didn't know was that Danny B. is a martial artist and use to fight in alot of Mui Thai kickboxing tournaments over in Asia and Thailand. I think I would have liked to have known that BEFORE I stepped in the ring with someone. Wouldn't you???

Old 05-25-2002, 09:55 PM
cast

Talking ice ice

robert or ice is a good driver , he is father now too.

Quick Reply: ICE ICE BABY ..... A PowerBoat Racer..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.