Notices

Entry level power boat??

Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Entry level power boat??

I'm looking into buying a powerboat for the first time and I'm wanting to know some things to look for and things to stay away from..boats, motors and outdrives..I have owned high performance bass boats ,bay boats but new to this...I'm looking for boats 25' to 30'...Thanks for any words of advice...
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by txsdukhntr
I'm looking into buying a powerboat for the first time and I'm wanting to know some things to look for and things to stay away from..boats, motors and outdrives..I have owned high performance bass boats ,bay boats but new to this...I'm looking for boats 25' to 30'...Thanks for any words of advice...
Any idea of a budget? How many people boat with you? I assume you are a lake boater living in Texas or do you boat offshore?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock power for reliability, buy the biggest motor you can afford that was offered for the boat.

There are a ton of great boats in that range,,,post some here you start looking at and you will get a bunch or reviews and opinions.

Ill start,,,very late 90's to early 2000's ( depending on yhour budget ) baja 272 with a 502.

Alot of room, great ride for the size and affordable.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Talking

I'm guessing around 4-6 people..mostly on lakes..But I'm not far from the coast though..My budget is in the $30'S..I have found some boats with wipple chargers???I have done some research and the 496HO seams to be the engine to get.Thanks for any and all help....
Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Checkmates in that range are nice. 288 sunation. Really depends on how much u want to spend. I agree the biggest stock power that was offered in the boat!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

for your first boat stay with a single engine and stock power. Your accustomed to O/B's...these things break 3X as much. Just like buying anything used, have it inspected closely.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered

Smile

There's soo many makes/models out there in the 25-30 range, you could look for a long time.... Just be cautious when buying a used boat,,, and normally the older the boat is,, the chances of there being problems later is highly increased....
Normally you get what you pay for.....

If your on a budget,,, and aren't looking to have to engine troubles , I would stay away from anything whipple charged, superchargered..etc... Stock, turn-key , reliable power is always nice.... See if you perfer a Cat or Vee, and Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by txsdukhntr
I'm guessing around 4-6 people..mostly on lakes..But I'm not far from the coast though..My budget is in the $30'S..I have found some boats with wipple chargers???I have done some research and the 496HO seams to be the engine to get.Thanks for any and all help....
I disagree with the 496HO if you ever plan on souping it up. If you can find a 454/502 boat, you will have a much better engine.

The 496 is great if you will be happy with stock, but moist people are not. If you are more the type to change boats rather than add on an existing boat, than start with a 496HO mag.

But remember, where you start is where you will end without major bucks. A 454 can be built to make lots of hp for a reasonable amount of money.

If you can get one in your price range, get a twin engine boat. If you get much bigger than 25/26 on one engine, you will be SLOW. Of course it goes without saying, you must buy a cat or you will be SLOW.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your price range is pretty close for a 29 Fountain with a 500EFI. Still my favorite single engine go fast, and will run in the 70's stock.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

I'm looking a Vee's...Its seems like everbody has a Baja around here...I was looking for maybe a Nordic or Donzi...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.