Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why? >

Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why?

Notices

Boat wanders side to side at idle speeds, Why?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It has to do with water passing down the sides of the V-Bottom and then back and back around to the drive(s). The low pressure spots alternate from side to side.

Most Vee's regardless of steering system will "hunt" from side to side. While doing some testing with various performance whale tails on outdrives, I found oddly enough certain designs would make the boat track straight as an arrow. Sadly none of the ones that increased performance on the top end helped the idling issue though.

Long story short there's nothing wrong with the steering, most Vee's do it.. If you get ahead of it you can make the boat track straight. I.E. It will hunt back and forth "consistently" so when you know it's going to go right, before it starts or as it starts turn the wheel a 1/4 left.. Then when it goes left turn it 1/4 right etc..

RD
Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All three of my boats do it. All are in top shape with no steering play.

42 Fountain - twin, turning in, full hydraulic - a little, about 3-4', no real issue

35 Marlago -twin outboards, turning out, full hydraulic - a little more, gotta watch it but if I leave it alone it comes back, wandering about 6' back and forth

23 Sea Ray - single, power steering - wanders the most. Sometime will go back and forth but many times will veer off requiring major correction.