bolster seat loose. please help. >

bolster seat loose. please help.

Notices

bolster seat loose. please help.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM
A.T. Cult Member #4
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolster seat loose. please help.

Good Morning Guys,

OCD comes out of hibernation next weekend.. Still have snow on the ground and ice on the lake but after this week of 70 degree weather I should be good to go.

On my list of many things to do this year is to fix my captains bolster seat.

The screws keep loosening up. We are sure the holes are stripped. I fear the longer I go without fixing it, it will just get much worse and be harder to fix.

My question to you is:

Has anyone had this problem? How did you fix it?

I have been told to remove the bolster seat, drill out the suspect holes and fill them in? Is this correct?

Also what do I fill it in with before re-screwing it in? Does anyone know a particular product?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Registered

Could you epoxy in an insert(heli-lock) and your bolster would cover the insert?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Depending on how your bolster is configured, you may be able to cut an access hole underneath the seat, and cut an access hole in the cockpit liner so you can thru bolt it. At the end of the day, I think that's your best bet. You could also use a few size bigger screw as a quick fix.

If you fill the holes in they will eventually loosen up again over time. If you're looking for a permanent fix I would figure out a way to thru-bolt it. That's how my boat is done and it's 16 years old and the bolsters are tight as the day they were installed.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 AM
A.T. Cult Member #4
VIP Member

Thank you.. While you are correct, there is no way for me to get to that to thru bolt. I have also heard fiberglass resin would be best? any product specifically anyone would recommend?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

West marine sells a toggle type stainless steel bolt, it has a plastic strap on it to hold it in place while you bolt it down. Worked pretty well for an interior seat on my boat.Depending on how rough the water is you run in you may need to through bolt it, as already mentioned. I had to cut a hole next to my bolsters and put in an access plate to be able to do this on my old 12 meter. Bigger bolts just made bigger holes when they pulled out, which they always did.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Registered

Plexus injection drill and tap. Or west system 6-10 let cure drill and lag or screw and obviously through bolt if possible.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What I did was pretty simple. I drilled the floor with a 3/8" drill bit and and coated a 3/8" wood dow with Gorilla Glue and inserted in the hole. Let it set up over night. Drilled a pilot hole where the screw would be reinserted, coated screw with some 4200. Screwed bolster back down. Done. Hasn't come loose since. Simple fix.