Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lick This Spun out last night!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25116-lick-spun-out-last-night.html)

Audiofn 05-25-2002 10:10 AM

Lick This Spun out last night!!!!!

WOW all I can say is it was a very odd deal. They left horney Toad last night and went out to the right and then went for a pass with I think it was 4 people on board. They were not going all that fast, looked like 70-80mph, when the rooster tail got high and it looked like spray from the tabs was coming out and WAM the thing spun and stopped. They are all very lucky and I hope that no one got hurt other then haveing to clean out their shorts. Glad I was not on there.

Jon

MitchStellin 05-25-2002 10:13 AM

Sounds like Blow Out to me. Check that X dimension out. Time for a new lower or nose cone.:D :eek:

Audiofn 05-25-2002 10:19 AM

Donzi: Lick this is a 42? foot skater with #6 drives and big power, they said 1400hp each motor.

MitchStellin 05-25-2002 10:25 AM

That is on hell of a boat to spin out. Do you think it was still Blow Out or did they loose a drive or engine?:confused: Still not a fun trip to say the least. :eek:

Audiofn 05-25-2002 10:37 AM

Donzi I was hoping to hear from some of the guys on the board that are Cat drivers to see what could have caused something like that at that speed. I could understand at over 100 but they did not look like they were going that fast at all. How about it Nit2Win or Tx2 or any of the other cat guys on the board. What could have happend?

Jon

Tinkerer 05-25-2002 11:00 AM

I'm no expert on cats - but it sounds like a novice was driving and had the tabs down too far and the drives up too high for that speed and they caught a wave and it bow steared.

RiverGirl 05-25-2002 11:32 AM

46' Skater .... and it goes really fast:p :p :p

Cord 05-25-2002 11:33 AM

I too saw him spin out. Earlier another boater had commented that they had just purchased the boat. The owners sure spent enough time showing it off. Had a bunch of eye candy on the hood too. ;) I don't know if they were in the boat when it spun, but I'm guessing yes. If so, then they had more people in the boat than seats. Not the best thing when spinning out. :rolleyes: Anyways, the boat was making a high(er) speed pass in front of the toad. The rooster was tall and short. It almost looked clipped off. He got a bit past the bar when the boat hooked slowly to the left and then spun sharply in it's own length. He rotated almost 270 degrees in a couple of hundred feet. Mind you the boat was 46' long so the forces must of been phenominal. After sitting for a few minuets, he restarted and S L O W L Y left. You could almost see the tail between his legs.

MnFastBoat 05-25-2002 01:44 PM

I would guess he dropped a drive
either by accident or trying to MAKE a turn??? God I hope not.
But if he is inexpereinced, very well could have.

Was he slowing down BEFORE the turn, like he was going to??

If he tried to turn he might have just blown out that side.
idid that once in my infancy days with my boat :( Tried to turn too tight. They are not jet skis.
take wide sweeping turns

GOFSTCAT 05-25-2002 05:43 PM

well as a rigger, i would say if the boat was traveling straight than i would suspect a drive or eng failure. if the boat was turning, probably setup or driver error. drive /eng problem would result in a fast and abrupt spin , while a setup /driver error would come on slower with some time for reactionsand a chance to recover