Notices

Boat Pix

Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I'm not going to send them any info that's for sure. Besides, I know how handsome I am already, regardless if I'm in 1 of our boats or not, just ask my lovely wife!
I did, and she is lovely, however her comment does not concure with your "idea of handsome".

Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I'm not going to send them any info that's for sure. Besides, I know how handsome I am already, regardless if I'm in 1 of our boats or not, just ask my lovely wife!
They will find you and send you the pictures without you giving info. I have seen this done before some way they will find you It will take then some time and you won't be thinking of this anymore and then a email will come with your pictures.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

http://boatpix.com/general/faqs.htm answers most questions and I mention this as I noticed some inaccuracies reported in this string. I think we offer a great service at a great price and that has been true since we started in 1981. We have many people that buy pictures every year and are very happy. Usually, in a forum it starts with a questions and then some quick answers pop up from non-customers who are on the forum at that time. Then, within a week, a whole bunch of people will chime in that they are customers, buy pictures and love them. Check out the Hatteras and Sea Ray forums for an example. Our system is much like a hotel or rental car agency in that we ask for a credit card upfront. Then, we treat you like an adult and send you out finished 16x20 prints that are fully "photoshopped" where we remove the stains, barnacles and bird poop on your boat and make it look like new. We make rather spectacular pictures as the helicopter is the correct way to do this and we stopped counting cover shots in about 1987 when I went to the convenience store and most of the cover shots for popular magazines on the rack were pictures I took and was credited for. We ask if you want to have a little more hair, a little less belly and a little stronger arms. Tom, President of Boatpix, 561-346-2816.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting Topic,

Years ago I ran a poker run and there was a helicopter taking photos. I never spoke with anyone from the pic company nor requested/ordered and pics. Sometime later I get a package from this company containing some pics of my boat during this poker run. I can only assume they got my contact info from the event orginizer at the time. The pics were not bad but not great either except for the price list on the enclosed price sheet.

Remember at this point the company sent the pics to me on their own. Nice gift. NOT. Next thing I know another contact from this company stating either return the pics, pay, or be taken to court.

I will leave it to educated guess as to which company this was.

Found it a very ammusing way of conducting business!

Take Care.

Be Careful.

Mark
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
Interesting Topic,
AMEN YHEY ARE CROOKS
Years ago I ran a poker run and there was a helicopter taking photos. I never spoke with anyone from the pic company nor requested/ordered and pics. Sometime later I get a package from this company containing some pics of my boat during this poker run. I can only assume they got my contact info from the event orginizer at the time. The pics were not bad but not great either except for the price list on the enclosed price sheet.

Remember at this point the company sent the pics to me on their own. Nice gift. NOT. Next thing I know another contact from this company stating either return the pics, pay, or be taken to court.

I will leave it to educated guess as to which company this was.

Found it a very ammusing way of conducting business!

Take Care.

Be Careful.

Mark
AMEN THEY ARE CROOKS
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
I can only assume they got my contact info from the event orginizer at the time.
Mark, That may or may not be the case. Unless of course the event organizer hired them to shoot the event.

I have heard of instances where people have received pics and they were not involved with an event at all.

My only guess at that point would be they are pulling one's information from the registration numbers on the boat.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
That's great! I had my wife do the same thing.
Yes u did. LOL.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

A business model based on inconvenience, belligerence, and intimidation...what a bunch of jerks. I hope these threads come up when some poor soul does a search on them.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Shoot'n Motion @ 1/80 Sec
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no experience with Boatpix, or any of the companies that market images, from a moving bird (matters not if bird is fixed wing or rotor).

The following is just my opinion;

Based on the pricing structure of Boatpix, I would have expected Boatpix to be selling photos, shot by Pro Photographers using the Highest Quality DSLR Bodies & Pro-Grade Lenses. Instead, based on the Exif Information of several files, they use Sub $1000 Rebel Bodies, and inexpensive kit lenses. To some it may not matter, but they shoot Jpeg, which does not render them the Highest Quality Images off the Bodies they are shooting with. Just on that information alone, for the prices they are charging, I cannot see why anyone would consider buying photos from them. Having shot alongside Jay, Jeff, Tim, Pete, and a few others, I would buy photos of my boat (if I had one) from them any day, over what Boatpix is selling.

It does not cost that much to operate a Helo. An R44 cost' approximately $500 an hour. That is easy to make back @ $500 PER Digital File. If they were interested in running a business, that catered to the boating industry, I would think they would have a better business plan/ better pricing, instead of a one shoe fits all approach.

Just my 2¢.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Mark, That may or may not be the case. Unless of course the event organizer hired them to shoot the event.

I have heard of instances where people have received pics and they were not involved with an event at all.

My only guess at that point would be they are pulling one's information from the registration numbers on the boat.
Sharkey,

Not sure if this company was hired by the event or not. I to am aware of several ways to find out who owns what.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.