Notices

Name Change

Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name Change

Is it bad luck to rename a boat? I've had it for four years and the name is all faded.... Plus I wanted to name it something else but couldn't get away with it at the time (due to the girlfriend)
Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007joe
Is it bad luck to rename a boat? I've had it for four years and the name is all faded.... Plus I wanted to name it something else but couldn't get away with it at the time (due to the girlfriend)
Thanks
new girlfriend?????????? howz bout "Your Next Baby"!!!!!

& that'l work 4 the next & the next girlfiends!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

No girlfriend now, "baja pante" is the name I wanted, panty dropper, in spanish, long story but it was kinda given to the boat, the girl at the time wouldn't let me get away with it....
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

No Need For Years Of Bad Luck If You Rename Your Boat Following The Proper Procedures
Boaters are a superstitious lot, so it should come as no surprise that there are countless dire predictions associated with renaming a boat. Fortunately, because many find they can't live with the name bestowed upon their pride and joy by a previous owner, there are procedures that allow you to cast off the old name and adopt a new one while avoiding imminent disaster.

The first order of business is to obliterate all references to the old name – on the transom and any other exterior boat surface, in the log and maintenance books, throw rings, PFDs and even key chains. You must be ruthless in routing out every single reference. Be sure that not even the faintest shadow of the old name peaks out from beneath a fresh paint job, white out or a scratching out. Indeed, many prefer to replace old log and maintenance books altogether rather than challenging their luck should some old reference still be legible.

Purging complete, it's time for the renaming ceremony. You have a number of choices: a formal liturgical ceremony as this:http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm
The slightly less elaborate denaming and christening ceremonies like this:http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/naming.asp#denaming Burning a mast, putting a penny under the mast, or creating your own ceremony, to name but a few. Whichever you choose, the common denominator is communion with Neptune, god of the sea, and a generous amount of alcohol. It is very important not, to be cheap or save anything for yourself. You need to buy a decent brand that is somewhat pricey for your economy. If you want any for you or others, buy an extra bottle – usually champagne. You are, in effect, thanking Neptune for watching over your boat in the past, asking him to do so in the future under its new name, and sealing the deal with your best drink.

Once the renaming ceremony is complete, it's safe to bring aboard any items referring to the new name and to apply the name to the hull.

Not quite that superstitious? Well, there are those who crack a bottle of bubbly over the hull, announce the name out loud, and call it a done deal. It's your choice.

By the way, don't forget to submit paperwork on the name change to the Coast Guard. Gotta make it official.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 04-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Be sure to perform the renaming ceremony. I've had my boat for 6 years nothing but normal maintenance. A friend bought his boat a year before, laughed at the ceremony when i mentioned it, had at least 1 engine apart every year.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll never change a boat name again. My last boat was called Plum Crazy. It was a '88 Baja Sunsport with a 357 on nitrous. The first year was good, no problems. Then, I changed the name to NOStalgic. I blew the nitrous engine shortly thereafter. I replaced that engine with a tame 383 which lasted 30 hours. I replaced the 383 with a bone-stock Volvo-Penta 5.7 which lasted 35 hours. Finally, it got another 5.7 and I sold it!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The safest renaming ceremony I have witnessed is as follows.
One, park the vessel in plain view of the Gods ( outside)
Two, open a big bollte of alcohol ( your choice but NOT beer )
Three, remove your clothing.
Four, take a big slug of booze and pour some over the bow.
Five, run around the vessel three, not tow nor four but three times, stopping at the bow for a drink and a splash each time around.
Six, Walk backwards to the transom, take another big slug of booze and pour a splash on each corner of the transom.
Seven, in a clear and loud voice you must declare to the Gods that you are naming the vessel _______________ and that you pray for good seas and good fortune.

Eight, have your lawyers number on speed dial so when the neighbours call the cops and you get arrested for running around drunk and naked, you won't have to try and remember the number from jail.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

When we re-named our Sea Ray 400 I was instructed to take the old name and name a part of the boat with the old name so as not to anger the gods. The boat was named "Keola" which means good luck in Hawaiian, so my daughter has a brass plaque made that said "Keola's Kamode" and we placed it on one the door to one of the heads. We then re-named her "Kahn Job" and all went well. So it must have worked.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
The safest renaming ceremony I have witnessed is as follows.
One, park the vessel in plain view of the Gods ( outside)
Two, open a big bollte of alcohol ( your choice but NOT beer )
Three, remove your clothing.
Four, take a big slug of booze and pour some over the bow.
Five, run around the vessel three, not tow nor four but three times, stopping at the bow for a drink and a splash each time around.
Six, Walk backwards to the transom, take another big slug of booze and pour a splash on each corner of the transom.
Seven, in a clear and loud voice you must declare to the Gods that you are naming the vessel _______________ and that you pray for good seas and good fortune.

Eight, have your lawyers number on speed dial so when the neighbours call the cops and you get arrested for running around drunk and naked, you won't have to try and remember the number from jail.
Air

Have you ever changed the name of your boat?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Renaming boats is all BS. Do it any way you like. I grew up with and worked as a waterman and hardly anyone did any of the mumbo jumbo you will read on the interenet.

However, some of the bs ways of doing are a lot of fun I hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.