On engines, fuel, energy, and a reality check >

On engines, fuel, energy, and a reality check

Notices

On engines, fuel, energy, and a reality check

Old 05-28-2011, 07:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

for the non belivers of what a big corp would do, just ask James Dyson, the inventor of Dyson vacuums. when he approached hoover and electrolux with his patent, they laughed at him and told him to go away. then he got backing and brought it to market himself.
On a special about it, a big wig from one of the two afore mentioned companies said they should have bought his idea and shelved it. because of him they now had to make better vacuums and lose all the residual income they made from selling bags and belts and replacement parts.

no one will bring the super great products forth as they will only potentially write their own demise. replacement parts are more profitable than making the best product
Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
for the non belivers of what a big corp would do, just ask James Dyson, the inventor of Dyson vacuums. when he approached hoover and electrolux with his patent, they laughed at him and told him to go away. then he got backing and brought it to market himself.
On a special about it, a big wig from one of the two afore mentioned companies said they should have bought his idea and shelved it. because of him they now had to make better vacuums and lose all the residual income they made from selling bags and belts and replacement parts.

no one will bring the super great products forth as they will only potentially write their own demise. replacement parts are more profitable than making the best product
I hate to disagree but look around & notice the IPADS & IPODS that didn't exist that long ago. I'm sure the sony walkman people would have been happier if these weren't available but apple did it any way. If someone invents a better source of fuel gasoline powered vehicles will end up in a museum next to steam powered locomotives.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin

Yes, I believe its called planned obsolesence.

But better and better products do come along, all the time, and put the status quo out of business like Walmart moving to a small town. In our industry of medical imaging, taking images on film was GONE in 5 years when the reliable "filmess" systems hit the market. For larger medical establishments they were HUGELY cheaper. And easy to use. It was amazing how fast this took over. Now only the very small doctors offices take their own x rays on hardcopy film. All hospitals and almost all doctor offices are filmless I would guess about 98%. Xray film was very expensive and was needed in huge quantities every day, and now sales of xray film have all but disappeared - over about 5 years.

So - I don't buy too much of the conspiracy bull$hit when it comes to product innovation especially in our world where America is losing ground every day economically, socially, and militarily and a nonfriendly force could develop this technology despite our corporate "wishes". We have powerful greedy covetous enemies and they are relentlessly gaining ground on us. And on our children.
And none of them has made one of these devices yet.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
Look - somebody needs to inject some logic into this thread!
I would counter that this thread is already dripping in logic. Even without all of the supporting proof, a little deductive reasoning goes a terribly great distance.

The intrigue of conspiracy is always entertaining. But in todays world, with China pirating new movies from illegal pre-release copies hot-shotted over there, I am certain either China or some other interest not encumbered by our laws, fines or loyalties would find a way to produce a technology so far superior to existing methods. It would just simply be so immeasurably profitable it could not be kept secret.
Agreed, the intrigue of a factual conspiracy is indeed entertaining, but I fail to see how China's ability to pirate pre-released films, without so much as a slap on the wrist from anyone, could aid them in developing and selling these technologies without interference from Big Oil once they got wind of it.

Inventing a more efficient method of utilizing a fuel source is not in violation of any laws in any country. The oil consortiums, who maintain a global presence, find such activity objectionable because it undermines their entire operation as a substantial loss in ill-gotten income. It is by no means limited to America's laws, fines, or loyalties.

So - I don't buy too much of the conspiracy bull$hit when it comes to product innovation especially in our world where America is losing ground every day economically, socially, and militarily and a nonfriendly force could develop this technology despite our corporate "wishes". We have powerful greedy covetous enemies and they are relentlessly gaining ground on us. And on our children.
And none of them has made one of these devices yet.
Certainly, if I were looking at it from the same perspective as you are presently, I too would regard all of this as only so much bull$hit.

You must disabuse yourself of the idea that American corporations are the only entities who wish to see energy technology stagnate.

See this video for just a piece of the puzzle.

Next we'll be hearing about the Fountain of Youth the oil companies bought the rights to and are keeping hidden...

I know this was intended as an exasperated attempt at sarcasm in an effort to drive home your disgust of the current discussion topic, but there does exist a substance that has been proven to slow down the aging process and effectively extend the life cycle of human cells: the consumption of precisely measured amounts of heavy water.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JP-8
I would counter that this thread is already dripping in logic. Even without all of the supporting proof, a little deductive reasoning goes a terribly great distance.

Agreed, the intrigue of a factual conspiracy is indeed entertaining, but I fail to see how China's ability to pirate pre-released films, without so much as a slap on the wrist from anyone, could aid them in developing and selling these technologies without interference from Big Oil once they got wind of it.

Inventing a more efficient method of utilizing a fuel source is not in violation of any laws in any country. The oil consortiums, who maintain a global presence, find such activity objectionable because it undermines their entire operation as a substantial loss in ill-gotten income. It is by no means limited to America's laws, fines, or loyalties.

Certainly, if I were looking at it from the same perspective as you are presently, I too would regard all of this as only so much bull$hit.

You must disabuse yourself of the idea that American corporations are the only entities who wish to see energy technology stagnate.

See this video for just a piece of the puzzle.

I know this was intended as an exasperated attempt at sarcasm in an effort to drive home your disgust of the current discussion topic, but there does exist a substance that has been proven to slow down the aging process and effectively extend the life cycle of human cells: the consumption of precisely measured amounts of heavy water.
How, friend, does the consumption of deuterium prolong life? I'd rather attend the Singularity Summit and download into a computer.

"when heavy water replaces ~25% to 50% of the body's water, it interferes with cellular mitotic apparatus and prevents cell division." Wikipedia

Last edited by On Time; 05-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered

While I'm all for "questioning everything", as several have pointed out here no carb or or anything else will defy physics.

Could someone please put out a plausible explanation of how one carb would increase efficiency in the terms discussed here? A carb simply mixes fuel and air, w/ stoichiometric being the general starting place. Now most any carb now can adjust from there, how would any "patented secret one" do it differently? A carb alone wouldn't change combustion or the engine to be super efficient. Even if every drop of fuel is burned, most of it is turned to waste heat, etc. A new carb technology won't change this. Same w/ the amount of energy available in gas, it only has so much and can only move so much mass so far even at 100% efficient conversion to propulsion.

As to the theories that the oil companies are holding back the manufacturers, explain the EV1, Leaf, Tesla, Volt, Prius, etc? Automakers make cars that make money ( or try to anyways). If an electric car can be sold at a profit it will be done and would have been done years ago. Right now the battery costs are too high and the range too low which holds them back, not "big oil".

The future of powertrains have several options. CNG, hydrogen fuel cells and batteries will all have commercial offerings in "volume" within 5 years. Whichever can be done w/ the best business case and consumer acceptance (read price) will win out.

Personally, we have 200 years worth of oil (at a a min) left, and as much as I don't like gov't intervention on "free markets" I'd prefer just something to limit the obnoxious speculating that drives prices up way beyond supply/demand actual consumption dictates.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

How, friend, does the consumption of deuterium prolong life? I'd rather attend the Singularity Summit and download into a computer.

"when heavy water replaces ~25% to 50% of the body's water, it interferes with cellular mitotic apparatus and prevents cell division." Wikipedia
The principles of its action would be of little consequence at this juncture, but just a small amount of heavy water slows the metabolic action of cells such that oxidation is effectively delayed.

A similar effect can be produced by altering the angle at which the hydrogen bonds to the oxygen in ordinary water.

I merely pointed it out to illustrate that the nature of reality is often much more dynamic than what we are taught to perceive.

There remains volumes more to be learned about the properties of water.

For me, all this is an endless source of fascination. For most, it is more of a "so what?" type of thing. As if the mental resources required to consider it for just a moment is too great an expenditure. While I can't readily identify with such a disposition, I can appreciate why it manifests so consistently, and often by no conscious decision of the individual.

I make no attempt whatsoever to steer anyone's opinion one way or the other. We all form our own about new things we learn, using prior knowledge as a term of reference.

I'm just sharing some of my findings as I pursue the hobby of learning. If you think some of the things I've posted are neat, great. If, however, you regard them as little more than a collection of mildly entertaining hogwash at best, but ultimately a waste of time, that's fine too.

While we could always do without the derogatory jibes and sarcasm, I also understand that the temptation to invoke them is often irresistible, and don't hold it against anyone who finds that they can't suppress the urge.

Last edited by JP-8; 05-29-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: To ammend a grammatical error
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Registered

I'm just sharing some of my findings as I pursue the hobby of learning.
Then read about the Singularity.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Registered

I don't think you know jack about China, Chinese govenment policy or Chinese business. I also think you are way, way out in left field with your conspiracy theories. I also don't think you know jack about science or engineering.

You are a dreamer an conspiracy theorist.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a masters degree. My graduate research was on engine emissions and efficiency. i have worked my entire career on engines, vechicles with the goal of increasing productivity and efficiency. I lived in China working for a Chinese company for a year and a half and had the mighty support (virtually unlimited research budget) of the Chinese government funding my research. I have worked closely with some of the largest diesel engine manufacturers on earth (Cummins and Weichi).

What are your credentials?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Registered

Then read about the Singularity.

I have read both Vinge's and Kurzweil's works regarding Technological Singularity. Kurzweil is a brilliant individual, and I made extensive use of the musical sound synthesizers that his company manufactures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.