Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   So many boats out there, I need some help/advice on deciding. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/251528-so-many-boats-out-there-i-need-some-help-advice-deciding.html)

Trevor73402 04-15-2011 09:15 PM

So many boats out there, I need some help/advice on deciding.

Hey all,
Just want to say I really love this site, I've learned alot from the short time I've been here and seen lots of boats I'd buy if I ever won the Lotto!! Some of you guys have absolute dream boats.

I'm posting this because I've been looking at so many boats that I'm starting to get mental melt-down and losing focus. Here is the short back story that's got me to where I am now. I sold a very nice '99 Checkmat 259 Convincor last fall that I should have kept. It was mint! I started shopping not long after for a replacement. I found a decent 2004 28ft Force Cat, but found out that insurance on a Cat is very high. So, I started back on the V's. I found a perfect 2007 26ft SleekCraft Enforcer with only 70hrs on it. Took it out, ran great, made the deal that day. Bank said they'd have the check ready in 3-4 days. Well, I was supposed to pick the boat up today, but someone came along before today (between Tuesday and last night) and offered the guy more than his original asking price and he sold it out from under me for more money. Pretty ****ty thing to do, but water under the bridge now. So, I'm back on the hunt and hoping you all might give me some advice since I'm getting a lil blurred in my search. Here is my situation.
Budget $40K Max!
Looking for a 26ft-30ft Vee
I know motors, but would prefer not to have to wrench all summer.
Usually just me and the wife, sometimes two passengers.
Prefer a closed bow cuddy, but open to mid cuddy open bow
Boat on Texoma....it can get very very rough very quickly so I need something that can take the 2-3ft chop with ease.
Want to be able to run 68-72mph, won't do it much, but want to be able to if I want on occasion.
I'm SUPER PICKY/detailed and my version of Clean and other peoples usually differs alot! I've burnt up hundreds of dollars in diesel looking at "immaculate" boats that turned out to be turds when I got there.
Would prefer a Fuel Injected boat for the reliability, but not a must.
I love the looks of the Donzi ZX, Fountain 27, Daytona V's, Checks, Nordics etc....Something with a decent amount free board.
I don't mind driving a ways to pick one up, but I've been burned on that type of deal before. I live in Oklahoma so the closer the better.
Also, and most importantly the boat has to be price at or below the current/correct NADA Value.

I'm not new to boating, been at it a while. My last Checkmate had a BigDog 502 with a Mooneyham Blower. I don't want to just settle for the average 25ft Baja Outlaw, yes they are nice boats but everybody has them. I want a head turner, something that stands out from the norm. I met a guy on here that is thinking about selling his 28ft Apache and it's within my price range so it's a possible, but he's busy this time of year and is unsure when he will be able to show it. So I'm just looking for some ideas from you guys on what y'all think would suit my situation, boats you've seen for sale, and overall thoughts.

Any help is appreciated.
My email is [email protected] if anyone has pics they want to send.
Thanks guys/gals

Carguy08 04-15-2011 09:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the guy selling you out. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find a better one.

camptappakeg69 04-15-2011 09:39 PM

Try to find a 25 Active Thunder, handles the chop very well and lots of freeboard. The 28 would be tough to find for your budget , a 25 would give you some $$ left for fuel.

Pete280 04-16-2011 06:32 AM

28 Nordic would fit your description and your should have no problem finding one in your range, a friend had one with a 500efi, 72-74 mph boat, I was impressed with the ride, I actually liked the cockpit layout of my 280 silencer better though

Trevor73402 04-16-2011 08:40 AM

I love the 28ft Nordics, they are beautiful boats, but it seems to be rare to see one in my price range (1997ish or newer) that's in good condition.

lilb 04-16-2011 10:03 AM

you should be able to find somthing on here http://www.powerboatlistings.com/ that your looking for.

Trevor73402 04-16-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by lilb (Post 3378217)
you should be able to find somthing on here http://www.powerboatlistings.com/ that your looking for.

I've spent countless hours on that site, this one, eBay, craigslist, boat trader and many others. I'm on CL every hour all day, I've been on powerboat listings over 2hrs just this morning. There was only one Nordic in my price range and it's right here in Oklahoma, but there have been people tell me that he's had lots of engine trouble with it.

rexcramer1 04-16-2011 10:28 AM

It would be helpful if you told us your location

velocitoy 04-16-2011 10:48 AM

...umm...right here in Oklahoma.?...

Trevor73402 04-16-2011 11:48 AM

I updated my profile to show my location.