Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How do red led underwaters look? >

How do red led underwaters look?

Notices

How do red led underwaters look?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do red led underwaters look?

I had white on my old boat from yachlights they were the abyss brand. I have a red and white boat now and am thinking possibly going red. Just not sure how well they will show up. I boat in lake erie and water is more of a brownish color. I did a search but couldn't find much on the red and how everyone like them Thanks for the help
Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I just put a set of red OceanLED Amphibians on my 38 Donzi but have yet to test them in the water. I have seen two boats with the red and it is far less bright than the white or blue but I am going for effect, not quantity of light. It will be about a month before I hit the water. I want to match the rest of the LED red on my boat.
Attached Thumbnails How do red led underwaters look?-nightlight-2.jpg   How do red led underwaters look?-nightlight-4.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Just put them on my 43 V Nor-Tech they look real good. they are not as bright as the white but i want the red look, so i agree with the comments above.
they are Ocean Led 8 Light.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

anyone know where there are some night pics of the red.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done some research on led colors underwater as I have been designing some underwater leds and like said before red is the one of the harder ones to see.
It has to do to with the color wave lengths and eye perception.
Red is one of the longest wave lengths and the longest is the first color on the spectrum thats hard to see.
Not to get technical.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whoya
I have done some research on led colors underwater as I have been designing some underwater leds and like said before red is the one of the harder ones to see.
It has to do to with the color wave lengths and eye perception.
Red is one of the longest wave lengths and the longest is the first color on the spectrum thats hard to see.
Not to get technical.
Damn I just thought they would look red!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think many people avoid red because it is just a reason to get pulled over when out at night. If you are only using them around the docks, no problem though.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Default Underwater LED install

trying to do a follow up for anyone that I can find on the forum asking about underwater lights.

I went with Abyss Lite and got 4 of the 1560 RGB color changing LED lights. They are on the back of the boat, one on each side of each drive. My boat is a Formula 400ss.

I can tell you that the water here at my lake is one of the dirtiest I have ever experienced... It is FAR from clear.

The lights work AWESOME so far. VERY VERY VERY bright. So bright, that they actually shine up and OUT of the water much more than I expected. I put them as low on the boat as I could. Almost all of the colors work well. Red is probably the worst, but it still works very well in my opinion.

Granted, I have not had the luxury to see how underwater lights look out in the ocean or clear water, but I am happy with what I have here on my lake, so I can only imagie that it gets MUCH better.

I will get some pics up in the Formula section next week. Heading up to the lake tonight.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I will be putting my boat in the water either this weekend or next and will try to get a night pic of the red led's. I put a pair of the Ocean LED Amphibian 6's on the back.