Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boatbuilder wants your opinion! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/251976-boatbuilder-wants-your-opinion.html)

Tim G. 04-22-2011 08:39 AM

Boatbuilder wants your opinion!

We are finishing up the center console design for our new 39' Center Console.
I am very interested to see the opinion of OSO members regarding the electronics and gauge layout.

We are torn between two options.... Gauges across the top as typically seen in our boats, or move the GPS units up high and use a Smartcraft display between the GPS' and an interface to display the gauges on the GPS screens.

Both have valid benefits... GPS units mounted high allow for easier/quicker navigation by the driver. The driver's eyes are on the water more. Gauges can be mounted under the GPS displays.

The "Gauges" option tends to have a stronger look or "flash".

The reality is that we find customers actually using the gauges to be fairly rare... And the new engines do not require as much driver observation anyway....

Your thoughts are appreciated.:drink:

Ted G 04-22-2011 08:55 AM

I voted no gauges because I am not afraid of the technology, but I would leave the door open to offer them as an option. You are going to have some guys that are going to want to see gauges I think and on a high end boat like that if I wanted it I would get it.

Jupiter Sunsation 04-22-2011 09:00 AM

Bling, gauges (with logos) and logos everywhere......oops wrong company! :D

The analog gauges look cool but could be skipped on a CC, digital is all you need.

GLH 04-22-2011 11:02 AM

I love the look of gauges, I know all you need these days is a screen and anything going astray will popup but that look is way too sterile for me.

Sydwayz 04-22-2011 11:51 AM

Digi!

Cash Bar 04-22-2011 01:29 PM

Digital rules.

And DollaBill will hate it. Which is a big plus. :lolhit:

lowblue320 04-22-2011 01:35 PM

I would keep it clean with no analog guages just digi's...

BattleCry 04-22-2011 05:26 PM

Both. Having the gauges and smartcraft, both, gives you an option for backups. Gauges on the bottom and GPS/SmartCraft unit above them, so that your eyes don't have to look down too far when following a course. Sometimes, I have more faith in the analog gauges, than the digital SmartCraft, especially, oil pressure, water temp, and water pressure. Nothing like being miles away and a sensor goes out. Then you are operating blind.

dodgeman111 04-22-2011 06:46 PM

I love digital but on a boat I'd stay with gauges. Even new cars are going back to analog gauges. It looks cooler on the dash. Make them monster gauges

bulletbob 04-22-2011 06:54 PM

Both! Why not have a backup if you digital or analog goes down.