Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help, I have a silly question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25198-help-i-have-silly-question.html)

KN 05-27-2002 04:21 PM

Help, I have a question?

I know this is a silly question an I should know but here goes I started my new engine up for the first time Oil pressure jumps up to 40lbs. It's suppose to be 15lbs at idle its running about 15-30 seconds no water coming out of the exhaust. Does it take longer than this to get water through the engine and will the oil pressure come down with a little more time. The boat was tested by the factory and again by the dealer with no problems.

Thanks

mcollinstn 05-27-2002 07:42 PM

Your break-in oil may be a straight viscosity oil. I would expect your pressure to come down when the motor comes up to temperature.

As far as the water? Should make no difference being new or not. If the motor and exhaust were DRAINED then YES, I would guess it would take a little longer.

If you fire it up NOW does it still take a while?

KN 05-27-2002 08:46 PM

Thanks mcollinstn, how long should it take for the water to run through the exhaust if the engine has been drained and if has not been drained. I don't know how long to let it run before I do any damage. or am i just not letting it run enough

Thanks

MnFastBoat 05-27-2002 11:25 PM

on my stock 502 efi;s it takes less then 15-20 seconds for the water to get through
Any longer then that and you will toast you impellar
if it already taking longer then that you may have laready toasted it.
be safe
change your seawater impellars every spring.
I wait until spring just for the fact that we all start our motors for the first time out of the water on a hose most likely.
Some dry time there.
After boat is runa the first time I change them
Get the kits for 50 bucks
CHEAP insurance

boot 05-27-2002 11:58 PM

Are you running off a hose or is it in the water ? Make sure your sea cocks or threw hull water fittings are open to the right direction ! I made this mistake being in a hurry . Spent about 1/2 hour screwing with it and looked at sea cock about 5 times thinking it was open . Finaly realized it was closed ! TOO LATE then !:mad:

Iggy 05-28-2002 06:52 AM

First time I fired up my enigne this season it took over a minute before water came out the exhaust. But that was because the block and manafolds had been drained for the winter. I have an Alpha drive with no other means of getting water into the block except the drive pump.
As for the oil pressure, I wouldn't worry about it. High pressure when cold is normal. Mine runs 50-60 cold (idle) and 30-40 hot at idle. That's on an engine that has over 400 hours on it.

Good luck with the new motor.