Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Runs and Drinking... >

Poker Runs and Drinking...

Notices

Poker Runs and Drinking...

Old 04-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zero alcohol before or during the run for our events. Captain and crew included. Sounds strict but one drunken crew member falls out or gets injured and no mnore insurance coverage after the ensuing lawyer free for all.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

We've pulled people out from behind the wheel of their own boats on the Virginia poker runs in the past. It's no longer an issue. Captains get (example) red wristbands and passengers get (example) green wristbands. If you see someone with a red wristband and a drink; you are no longer driving.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XX14
I'm not interested in indighting a club with regard to the scenario I'm about to describe so please don't ask. Attended my first poker run last year. It was based at a local watering hole on the lake. Basically people hung out, socialized, and drank for about two to three hours prior to the start. There was no discussion of drivers not drinking and it was pretty much a wide open start. It felt wrong. I didn't drink because my first priority is my crew and my crafts safey.

I recently read an article in one of the boating mags that emphasized the importance of no drinking until post the run and speed group starts. We were on an active lake with folks out there with their families and kids on tubes that were completely uninvolved in the run. I was scared for them. Some of the faster boats were easily runing 80+.

All that said we had a great time overall. Is this scenario commonplace on smaller lesser organized runs? I'm not sure if we'll go again. I we do we'll stay towards the back out of the fray. Appreciate your thoughts.
what run, where & what year ??? spoke to some Texas folks yesterday for the holiday , mentioned the thread about drinking for 2 to 3 hours b4 there runs start and they mentioned in all there years of poker running NEVER B4 the run .. was this just a few boaters having a lil fun run ???
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
We've pulled people out from behind the wheel of their own boats on the Virginia poker runs in the past. It's no longer an issue. Captains get (example) red wristbands and passengers get (example) green wristbands. If you see someone with a red wristband and a drink; you are no longer driving.
Our club as Sean has said doesnt let the passengers drink either. Some of our cats take 2 to operate and the passengers in a lot of cases are needed as spotters for a lot of our starts (1000 islands for sure).
PRA events ...its zero all round also.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Our club as Sean has said doesnt let the passengers drink either. Some of our cats take 2 to operate and the passengers in a lot of cases are needed as spotters for a lot of our starts (1000 islands for sure).
PRA events ...its zero all round also.
Strong points. I like it.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XX14
I'm not interested in indighting a club with regard to the scenario I'm about to describe so please don't ask. Attended my first poker run last year. It was based at a local watering hole on the lake. Basically people hung out, socialized, and drank for about two to three hours prior to the start. There was no discussion of drivers not drinking and it was pretty much a wide open start. It felt wrong. I didn't drink because my first priority is my crew and my crafts safey.

I recently read an article in one of the boating mags that emphasized the importance of no drinking until post the run and speed group starts. We were on an active lake with folks out there with their families and kids on tubes that were completely uninvolved in the run. I was scared for them. Some of the faster boats were easily runing 80+.

All that said we had a great time overall. Is this scenario commonplace on smaller lesser organized runs? I'm not sure if we'll go again. I we do we'll stay towards the back out of the fray. Appreciate your thoughts.
Read this recent thread, and the Performance Boats article if you can find it. There are some dangerous situations out there. No one loves boating more than I do. I have three boats. I do not drink while driving and my passengers are not allowed to get sloppy. I cut them off. If they get pissed so be it, they understand for next time or they don't come back. People, tragic situations become lawyer free-for-alls and enough of these and we will lose our freedoms.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ige-rocks.html
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
Funny thing is there are people on OSO and people even looking at or reseponding to this thread who do the wrong thing and get hammered out in their boat before a poker run. A boat is just like a car if your going to be start the engines and move it you shouldnt be drinking just like a car. I am surprised more people dont get hurt out on the water because of drinking.
WOW oh do tell
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt anyone will roll themselves under the bus by responding to this thread saying they drink on poker runs.

I dont have a clue how many poker runs Ive attended in the past 10 years, but I have never been on one that hasnt had several drivers/passengers drinking before the last stop. This includes a few that "enforce" the zero tolerance, beer on the pier, water on the water kind of runs. You'd have to be in serious denial to not believe this. Check those plastic cups..........thats not kool aid.

(This doesnt mean I support it, just stating what Ive seen over the years.)
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys hit the water WITHOUT drinking?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
I doubt anyone will roll themselves under the bus by responding to this thread saying they drink on poker runs.

I dont have a clue how many poker runs Ive attended in the past 10 years, but I have never been on one that hasnt had several drivers/passengers drinking before the last stop. This includes a few that "enforce" the zero tolerance, beer on the pier, water on the water kind of runs. You'd have to be in serious denial to not believe this. Check those plastic cups..........thats not kool aid.

(This doesnt mean I support it, just stating what Ive seen over the years.)
+ 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.