Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run? >

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Notices

How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much $$ to get you interested in a poker run?

Looking for some input from those who actually travel to runs. What kind of a guaranteed first place hand gets your attention? $2,500? $3,000? $3,500? More? What about guaranteed first and second? And how far are you willing to travel to run? For sake of conversation, let's say the event is Friday - Sunday with slip, most meals, swag, bands each day, and the like for $250 (captain and mate) and $100 a passenger, hands at $50 each.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't go for the payout. In fact, I wish they would drop the payouts all together and charge less to enter. I'd prefer they donate say $1000 to a charity of the winners choice. These things are expensive enough to do to begin with... You have to be a fool to only go for the payout. Drop the price to enter (and the payouts) and there would be greater participation, which IMO is what most of these runs need, more boats!

My 2 cents...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If your in it for the prize money you should find something else to do. In the run I did a week ago 1/2 the winners simply donated the prize back to the charity the event was for.
also, a $250 entry for a boat/captain/mate will not yeild prizes like that....not if they intend to donate to a charity and those are the only runs worth entering anymore (IMO).

One local run here covers 90 miles each way and has a dinner Fri and Sat, helicopter photos/videos, lunch sat and a band fri and sat night. Between gas, entry, hotel, etc it's a $1,000 weekend for 2 and it starts just 30 minutes from my house. Towing distance requires fuel in the truck and multiple hotel nights making $1,500 the minimum and $2,500 very possible.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SS930
I don't go for the payout. In fact, I wish they would drop the payouts all together and charge less to enter. I'd prefer they donate say $1000 to a charity of the winners choice. These things are expensive enough to do to begin with... You have to be a fool to only go for the payout. Drop the price to enter (and the payouts) and there would be greater participation, which IMO is what most of these runs need, more boats!

My 2 cents...
I like your way of thinking...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930

My 2 cents...
FYI: JOTJ rough numbers

$375 for boat/captain/mate plus slip (75) and hotel (125), $150 per passenger. you get:
Gift bags, video, 2 dinners, lunch, 2 bands, incredible dock party (120 boats, 500 people)

payouts
roughly $5k in door prizes and 1,2,3,4 best hands. Fri dinner roughly $10K, band $3K. Sat lunch $15K, dinner over $25K, band $4K. Helicopter and photographer/videographer $5K (10 hours)

$$$ left over as donation to the Shriners.......$25K
not a dime kept by the club and well worth the money IMO.....how many other poker runs fill up with that many boats these days!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

I have never ran a poker run with the intention of winning anything. Pretty much end up with s$$t hands any way. The people, the fun, the food, the boating is enough for me. If I do/did win a hand that is great. Just found money. I think if you go into it with that mind set it is a lot easier to swallow the entry fee and associated costs.

Raf
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t500hps
$$$ left over as donation to the Shriners.......$25K
not a dime kept by the club and well worth the money IMO.....how many other poker runs fill up with that many boats these days!!!!
Didnt know this run went to the Shriners. Great deal and its very appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about the atmosphere. I'll be doing 6 this year and they are about $250 for 2 peeps 1 boat, add in fuel and drinks at party and its well over $500 but less than 1k. If your thinking about Thunderfest just do it! It's a good time...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
It's all about the atmosphere.
That's what draws me to one as well.

It's never been about the payout for me either, especially since I rarely get all of my cards anyway, lol.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cards? What cards? LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.