KE Valve Covers CURE????

Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2002 KE valve covers---no leaks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this KE? Or is it Lightning Performance? There is a difference.

Mr. Keith Eickert is with Lightning Performance and no longer owns Keith Eickert Power Products.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Eddie Young did my engines. He told me that it is a fact they leak. The milling of the rail takes care of this..... Not too difficult to do. Oil being flung up into the breather also happens. It also saturates the elements and doesn't let them breath, then you push oil out the dipstick. I installed breather tanks to cure this. Just stick with it and eliminate that mess. Unbelievable that it would be such a flawed design. Nothing worse than oil in the bilge.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

in the future come here first i yhink you can use regular covers with thos exhaust and eliminant all head achs sorry got to ya to late
Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BattleCry
Is this KE? Or is it Lightning Performance? There is a difference.

Mr. Keith Eickert is with Lightning Performance and no longer owns Keith Eickert Power Products.
I could give a chit who it is, KE-Lighting whoever, all I know is I paid $1000 for a pair of covers that out of a total re-rig and NEW POWER are the only things making a mess!!!! Problem at hand is I spent $$$$ for a product that does not work and on top of that has a NEGATIVE effect on my investment. And the reputable "KE" does not give 2 chits!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been using the covers for years and unfortunately they leak. They have just recently started sending the rails out with a rubber gasket at the bottom of the rail. The cover sits on top of the gasket and should eliminate the leaking. I have milled all of the rails to the previous ones I used and it helps a ton. However, you can't mill the rails on the newer style bases.
Are these the new bases you have Nolan? I just used my first set of the new bases on the dyno and they did fine. I haven't run them in the boat, so we will see how that goes soon.
They also have a tendency to throw some oil out of the breather. It helps to open up the oil drainback holes in the head as large as you can. Obviously, you can't do it now with the engines together. Just something to keep in mind in the future. As Eric stated above, the breathers get soaked with oil and can't breathe anymore. Then the oil really comes out. A breather tank will stop that from happening.
Nolen, do you know where they are leaking from? Are they leaking from the base or the breathers?
Eddie
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems to me I would just opt for a different brand valve cover. You got $1K in valve covers, oil tank and associated plumbing. At the end of the day you may find yourself with a $1500 set of valve covers.

Not sure about most people on the board but I turn my own wrenches and would rather take the extra time to loosen the manifolds/header to remove the cover, than waste my money like that. Then spend the $1200 savings on something else. Just my $.02, don't mean to offend.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I have been using the covers for years and unfortunately they leak. They have just recently started sending the rails out with a rubber gasket at the bottom of the rail. The cover sits on top of the gasket and should eliminate the leaking. I have milled all of the rails to the previous ones I used and it helps a ton. However, you can't mill the rails on the newer style bases.
Are these the new bases you have Nolan? I just used my first set of the new bases on the dyno and they did fine. I haven't run them in the boat, so we will see how that goes soon.
They also have a tendency to throw some oil out of the breather. It helps to open up the oil drainback holes in the head as large as you can. Obviously, you can't do it now with the engines together. Just something to keep in mind in the future. As Eric stated above, the breathers get soaked with oil and can't breathe anymore. Then the oil really comes out. A breather tank will stop that from happening.
Nolen, do you know where they are leaking from? Are they leaking from the base or the breathers?
Eddie
Leaking at the bottom rear corner where all the oil flows to, (lowest point especially in a fountain). I had the old bases and now the new bases with grease on the gasket on the base. We have tried it all but enough is enough.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Seems to me I would just opt for a different brand valve cover. You got $1K in valve covers, oil tank and associated plumbing. At the end of the day you may find yourself with a $1500 set of valve covers.

Not sure about most people on the board but I turn my own wrenches and would rather take the extra time to loosen the manifolds/header to remove the cover, than waste my money like that. Then spend the $1200 savings on something else. Just my $.02, don't mean to offend.
On a Poker Run it is way quicker and easier to pul an KE cover the make a quick adjustment or a fix if need be and yes we carry the spare parts, ya never know. As far as pulling the exhaust thats a great waste of time with the short season and amount of good weather we have here in NY. With the investment in the NEW power why start cutting cost on a cheap valve cover (unless you knew these would leak?). Just my .02
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this the Real KE or Hardin KE valve covers?

I can understand using the painted/coated valve covers etc,finish holds up, because the polished ones like mine are tuff to keep shinny.

Felpro makes a valve cover gasket that has the metal core and soft rubber/blue. also for OEM truck valve covers that will not leak.

I kept it simple
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...wer-motor.html

Try Chris Straub /OSO member with Steff's/B&B products, cast valve covers,http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

My Chevelle's B&B valve covers are 31 years old

If a valve lash all of a sudden needs adjustment, didnt some move/wear/etc? I can loosen my header and lay it over about 2 inches and I can get to the valve cover bolts and the covers come right off.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 04-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.