Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping???? >

Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????

Notices

Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????

Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????

I have a 16k Hi-Tide cable boat lift,chain & gear drive,I was letting the boat down and stoped it half way down and the RH gearbox was still going down.I can hear the motor click off.So what ever is in the gearbox that stops the gears from turning when the motor is switched off is letting it keep going. I let it all the way down and went back up with it.its going up and down ok now but something is failing.

There is a adjustment looking nut/bolt on the gearbox that looks like it could be a tension ajustment,I'm guessing though.

Does Anybody have any experience with something like this? suggestions?

gear box
http://store.hi-tide.com/merchant2/m...egory_Code=A10

Thanks for any help!!
Rob

I'll get some picks
Attached Thumbnails Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-slip-6-2010-004-large-.jpg   Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-slip-6-2010-005-large-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Rob, I'm pretty sure the gear reduction is what actually stops it from going down. My buddy Garry used to install them for a living. I can put you guys in touch if you need some info.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friction/reduction is all that keeps it from spinning once you stop, there are no adjustments or brakes. Pump the gear box full of grease. Depending on the year of your lift it might have oil in it or grease since the factory did switch to filling them with grease at some point in the mid 90/late 90s.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Rob
VIP Member

pick
Attached Thumbnails Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-img00091-large-.jpg   Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-img00092-large-.jpg   Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-img00093-large-.jpg  

Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-img00094-large-.jpg  

Old 04-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Friction/reduction is all that keeps it from spinning once you stop, there are no adjustments or brakes. Pump the gear box full of grease. Depending on the year of your lift it might have oil in it or grease since the factory did switch to filling them with grease at some point in the mid 90/late 90s.
Gary thanks for the reply.I believe its a 99.I"ll check and see if its oil in it. Now when I go down with it and flip the switch to off it still goes down about 1-2inches, when it stops ,then I hear the click.

Also when it was going down the first time with the switch off I flipped the switch to up and it slowed it down but didnt stop it.I had to flip the other side to down try and keep it level,it didnt stop till the load was off itI know when you dont let the electric motor stop before changing directions it will keep going in that direction,this wasn't the case.

Hi-tide was quick to say the gearbox is just wore out.

Can the gearbox start going down by itself,lose friction when its just sitting there stoped?

Thanks
Rob

Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

gearbox has
Electra Gear Division Regal Beloit Corp.
1110 N Anaheim Blvd
Anaheim, CA,92801

tag is faded
Md 2400ac???????
60to1

http://www.leeson.com/Grove-Gear/index.html

http://www.powertransmission.com/copage/electragear.htm

Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

its a 99.It has red grease in it.
Attached Thumbnails Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-boat-lift-motor-005-large-.jpg   Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-boat-lift-motor-007-large-.jpg   Hi-Tide Boat lift gearbox slipping????-boat-lift-motor-012-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 04-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

They've been using that gear box forever. The "bolt" near the top is a vent. I know of one instance of someone never having a problem, then loading up the boat with fishing gear only to come out the next day to find the one side down....it was a lot of gear and the lift was overloaded. After that instance the factory started pumping them full of grease. At the time they also covered the damage to the boat even though the lift was overloaded.

I haven't dealt with the company in 10 years, the previous president that ran the day to day operations passed away, the vp of sales left so I don't know who's running the show.

If it were mine I'd remove the bolts at 6 and 9 o'clock and pump it full of grease again.

The click you're hearing it probably the centrifical switch for startup. Both motors should sound the same, I would imagine the one that stopping later is probably also clicking later since the motor is continuing to spin longer than the one that stops.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-28-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Rob
VIP Member

They've been using that gear box forever. The "bolt" near the top is a vent. I know of one instance of someone never having a problem, then loading up the boat with fishing gear only to come out the next day to find the one side down....it was a lot of gear and the lift was overloaded. After that instance the factory started pumping them full of grease. At the time they also covered the damage to the boat even though the lift was overloaded.

I haven't dealt with the company in 10 years, the previous president that ran the day to day operations passed away, the vp of sales left so I don't know who's running the show.

If it were mine I'd remove the bolts at 6 and 9 o'clock and pump it full of grease again.

The click you're hearing it probably the centrifical switch for startup. Both motors should sound the same, I would imagine the one that stopping later is probably also clicking later since the motor is continuing to spin longer than the one that stops.

So your thinking it prob not wore out? Will wheel bearing grease work?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
So your thinking it prob not wore out? Will wheel bearing grease work?

Thanks
As long as you can pump it in, yes.