Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   47 fountain crash (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25238-47-fountain-crash.html)

Chart 05-27-2002 11:29 PM

47 fountain crash

At LOTO Sat I saw a 47 fueling up at the formula dealer across from our condo. On Monday after lunch I saw a 47 on air bags being helped onto the marina's hydraulic trailer. A gas powered pump was pumping water from the engine compartment. Seems the driver got "disoriented" Sun night, thought he was in a different cove, and stacked his 47 on top of a docked Sea Ray. No one was hurt, thank goodness. The owner picked up the boat from this dealer on Friday after spending $60,000 on upgrades to the boat:( NOTE: All the above info is hearsay from one of the marina's employees)

I could not look closely at the boat, but it did not look too hurt from either side. Just a little damage to one of the rubrails. Obviously there was damage to the bottom. Maybe he was not going that fast. How much does a 47 Fountain weigh, and how long to come to a stop?

Does anyone have info on this?

WaterMoose 05-28-2002 09:06 AM

Not really hearsay...I talked with a friend who saw the aftermath, not sure of damage though!

Oops.

WM

Cord 05-28-2002 09:08 AM

Somebody had said that a boat had flipped at the mouth of the cove. Anybody else here of this?

jb 05-28-2002 09:17 AM

AS long as no one is hurt thats great...
He is done for the year if he has to send the boat back to the factory to get fixed!

Rico's Revenge 05-28-2002 10:12 AM

There was one fatality on Lewisville Lake (Dallas area) last night. I haven't heard many details, but from the little info I've heard, someone spun out and got massive internal injuries...

Also just hearsay on what happened...maybe Catman or Badcat can clarify.

Todd:(

283CHECK 05-28-2002 10:41 AM

Cord-
We seen the boat that flipped right outside the mouth of the cove on Sat(I think it was sat., this weekend just seemed to fly by). There was quite a bit if debri floating with what looked to be a 18-20ft boat floating belly up. Didn't see any water patrol or other saftey boats around. It was being hooked up to a tow boat.

Chris

jawbreakerkid 05-28-2002 11:00 AM

i did not see the boat flipped over, but Tbonepmp and Ssherman said that there were people sitting on the capsized boat when they went by.

i have never seen the water that rough in all my years of boating at LOTO. the wash was crazy!!!! i could see how a 20 footer could have been easily flipped over. sunday after we left the cove, we ran all the way up to the 7mm. it was a crazy ass ride. i was trying to keep up with Tbone's 38 Cig. i was running hard, but that is the only way you can run that kind of wash. ask troutly about the dash in the 353 breaking!!! :eek:

283CHECK 05-28-2002 11:04 AM

My bad

It was actually on Sunday that the boat flipped. And yes that water is rough on the big weekends..

Chad, I heard that you got hit by that funky looking boat, sorry to hear that. I heard that he lives in Overland Park let me know if you need us to break out the bat:mad: :eek: :mad: BTW it was good to meet you this weekend..

Chris

jawbreakerkid 05-28-2002 11:41 AM

chris- it was great meeting you too. i might take you up on the bat offer.

yeah, the focker backed into my parked boat, put a small gelcoat scratch on the bow about a foot above the water line. the force of the collision, knocked my boat backwards into the boat behind me scratching my alum. swim platform and denting it on the portside corner. nothing bad, but the boat didn't have a mark on it before then. either way, it will be fixed. everyone on the docks told them to stop and come back, but they just looked at them and quickly drove off.

it was an all white formula named Thick 'N Juicy. his hailing port was Overland Park, Kansas. the water patrol is searching for him through the coast guard documentation.

i didn't let it ruin my weekend though. i still had a good time!! i hope you did too.

chad

283CHECK 05-28-2002 11:47 AM

Glad to hear it wasn't major! Hope they find the "folker"!! Glad you made the best out of a bad thing and had a good weekend. We had a blast, just next time I hope to have my boat. We was with a great group, just not the same with out our boat. Hope to have it back next weekend!!

Chris