Notices

HP500 buildup questions

Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
The biggest thing that will hold your build up from making really good numbers is going to be the world heads, they are STONES compared to afr's
http://racingfeed.com/downloads/chevy_flow_data.pdf
The merlins flow 320 intake/201 exhaust at .600 lift
The afr 315's flow 380 intake/296 exhaust at .600 lift
I built my first 540 almost 10 years ago running a procharger m-3 and I used MERLIN heads, the motor did not even break 700 hp under boost , when I freshened it a few years later I made 950 hp after switching to the afr's and a cam 1/2 size bigger than previously (designed by Bob Madera/RMBUILDER). Now, I know you are not building a blower motor BUT head flow is head flow and Merlins almost identical to out of the box rectangle port factory heads. Its no secret that heads that flowed 30% better than my Merlins were a big help in gaining 35% more power, this hold true in normally aspirated applications too, it WILL help make the difference between you making 540 hp and being dissappointed and making 650 hp and being satisfied, Smitty

Smitty,
Are your AFR's CNC ported like AXA's? I have alos talked with a couple of engine builders who say the some of the oil passages are too small on AFR's? Smitty what are the Part numbers of your AFR heads, and are they the Hard anadized ones you run in salt water?
BTW, Impressive motor!
Thanks,
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 05-06-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
The biggest thing that will hold your build up from making really good numbers is going to be the world heads, they are STONES compared to afr's....Smitty
I agree, plus exhaust. The two very important components in a successful build.

Hard anodized and inconel exhaust valves are a must too.

I just freshened up my heads, with the exception of a valve spring change in 2008, and all that needed to be done was exhaust guides, seals and a valve job. I chose to replace the Isky Tool Room springs while I had them apart. So, longevity is looking pretty good. As for the Crane roller lifters, 31 were still good! 1 was on it's way out. So lesson learned...250 hours, replace the litters too!

Dave
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Smitty,
Are your AFR's CNC ported like AXA's? I have alos talked with a couple of engine builders who say the some of the oil passages are too small on AFR's? Smitty what are the Part numbers of your AFR heads, and are they the Hard anadized ones you run in salt water?
BTW, Impressive motor!
Thanks,
Dean
Dean, my heads are 315 cc intake runner cnc ported with hard anodizing and inconel tuliped exhaust valves. I am also running Isky tool room springs. I did NOTHING with the oil passages and have never had a problem. Out of the box my blower motor made 950 hp with them, they reccomend against additional porting but last time I freshened my motor I had them ported even more to match some of the mods to my intake/cam package and with a bigger cam than before I made 1115 hp. As far as the part number I am not really sure but I can tell you that RMBUILDER/Bob Madera is a distributer for them (585-654-8583) and can usually sell them to a guy for a price equal to or below the best deal you can find on them on the net short of buying used ones and he buys so many of them that he can get them faster than most suppliers. He also is a expert at cam design and supplies custom ground cams to optimize these afr head packages on most motors again at a price for what most of us would pay for a cam from most supply houses. I am very happy with them and the cam he supplied to me, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR
BLOWERS,,, Whipple ,,, or buy a complete rotating assy and convert it to a 540cu motor....merlin heads are a bad choice,,,castings are all over the place for alignment,,,Dart Pro1 CNC 335 heads and a 240 248dur 621 632 lift cam and you will go 90+ all day,,, also carb is to small,,,,,,, you can run blowers on pump gas 89 or 93 just depends on how much boost you run,,,,,you can get an Eagle crank and H beam rods that will be fine for this build since your on a budget to build it to a 540,,, do not get headers,,, they all leak,, Stainless marine III is the way to go
good advice sm gen 3s, the dart are better, but if you already bought the merlins have jim v go thought them carb, I would go with a custom 1050, nickerson or cfm carbs. I ran a 850 bg and picked up 4mph with a nickerson 1050. motor is a 509 with gen 2s, merlins, dart intake, isky cam over 600.do port match also if you could buyoval port intakes and have them blended to match the rec ports on the heads thats more hp. good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Dave,
Thanks for the info, I'll try to PM you today. My mom and step-dad, who lives in Potsdam, wants us to come up for a summer vacation, maybe we'll bring the boat, and you can show us around A-bay.....

Hey Dean, if you're up here look us up, Dave and I are both at Hutchinsons. If you end up here boatless you can spend the day with us on the River.

If you're missing the north country check out the Raquette River action videos on the TIBBC thread in the Formula forum.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 sets of flowed Dart aluminum heads sitting on my builders shelf ready to go, but we discussed this and think its best to stick with the bullet proof iron Merlins for now. He had some pretty hefty porting work done on them and we want to see what they will bring on the dyno. Now as for the cams, the ones we pulled appear to be original Merc racing (engraved MHP300 16-20-98) on the ends, but the grind number stamped on the billet is foreign to me (169516 98D2 A). We mic'ed em and they appear to be similar to the Crane 169621 grind, but I'd like to know what these are. As of now, we are leaning towards using with the Crane 16HR00004 cams (what Crane indicates were used in the HP525) for the new motors (610/632 lift - 235/244 duration @050). Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Thanks guys

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Hey Dean, if you're up here look us up, Dave and I are both at Hutchinsons. If you end up here boatless you can spend the day with us on the River.

If you're missing the north country check out the Raquette River action videos on the TIBBC thread in the Formula forum.
RE,
Thanks for the generous invite, I'm working with HQ, (the wife ) right now on summer vacation plans. As soon as she releases the 2011 Ferry summer vacations schedule I'll know better when we will be coming. If we don't bring a boat, I'll have plenty of gas monies!

Now back to our regular HP500 programing.......
Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ttt
Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe308
There are 2 sets of flowed Dart aluminum heads sitting on my builders shelf ready to go, but we discussed this and think its best to stick with the bullet proof iron Merlins for now. He had some pretty hefty porting work done on them and we want to see what they will bring on the dyno. Now as for the cams, the ones we pulled appear to be original Merc racing (engraved MHP300 16-20-98) on the ends, but the grind number stamped on the billet is foreign to me (169516 98D2 A). We mic'ed em and they appear to be similar to the Crane 169621 grind, but I'd like to know what these are. As of now, we are leaning towards using with the Crane 16HR00004 cams (what Crane indicates were used in the HP525) for the new motors (610/632 lift - 235/244 duration @050). Any thoughts?
Those are the stock Merc carbed 500HP cams. The MHP 300 designates that. I forget what the Crane part # is, but they are not 169621's. Those are for the 500EFI. The stcok carbed cams were ground a 110 lob sep and reverted water easily.

The 525EFI cam is a good choice. Its a Crane 168741 ground with a 114 lob sep.