Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   how to remove chocolate milk...properly (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/25248-how-remove-chocolate-milk-properly.html)

THE BULL 05-28-2002 07:16 AM

how to remove chocolate milk...properly

another great week!!!!! my gil exhaust got a hole in it, pumping water into my cylinders which in turn caused a bunch of water into my engine.......amazingly the motor still runs without knocking or anything. the problem is when i try to pull the oil out of the dipstick tube with an electric syphon, it will not pull the thick mixture......i can not reach the oil plug in the pan. what can i put in the motor to loosen/dilute this mixture so i can pull the oil out so that it will not hurt the motor??? diesel??kerosene?? thanks!!!!!

vagrant 05-28-2002 07:47 AM

I just had the same problem I put a quart of tranny fluid in and ran for about 30 mins.
Good Luck
David

Iggy 05-28-2002 09:37 AM

Diesal or kerosene. I'd try kerosene first.
Somehow you have to find a way to mix it into what's there now. I don't think just poring it in will work.

cuda 05-28-2002 11:10 AM

I used diesel on an engine that I just put new heads on to get the oil/water mixture cleaned out. It worked well. I put in three quarts of oil and a quart down each head of diesel. Ran it a few minutes, then pumped it out and put in new oil, and it was fine.

Bulldog 05-28-2002 11:21 PM

One small step for man.....

I would be concerend about spinning a bearing or something. Could you maybe pull the distributor? A stripped distributor (no gear or rotor mount) could then be used to pump oil with a large drill. This is how I prelube new motors. You may be able to remove the oil filter and place a container under the filter mount to catch discharge oil, or disconnect an oil cooler line.

You will have some oil/water left which could be flushed with something like diesel mixed with trans fluid. A small amount of water will remain but will burn off when the engine is hot.

I used pure diesel once to clean out the block and pan of a 13.5:1 L-88 427 jet boat engine which had a lifter failure. Diesel WILL explode under sufficient pressure and temperature. When I hit the starter button, KABOOMMM. It blew the side off of a Mickey Thompson valve cover- looked like a moon rocket launch. A dense, white smoke cloud sat where my engine was. About 5 seconds later the valve cover piece landed in my yard. No other damage was done, but my poor wife thought WW3 had started.:cool:

Wally 05-29-2002 09:41 AM

what i have done in the past to get rid of it was to drain all the "milk" out of the motor and flush it through with diesel just to get as much as i can out of it. Then put the drain plug back in and put fresh oil and a can of that Motor flush you can get at Pep Boys or AutoZone. Fresh oil and a hand full of filters. Run the engine and every few minutes change a filter. Took me about 3 filters and one more oil change and all was good.