Notices

Boat Covers???

Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Covers???

I know this topic has been tossed around a lot, but when I did a search most of the threads were from 05-06. What are guys doing for covers these days? I want a lightweight cover just to keep the dirt off the deck while she's on the hoist or in the rack, and then a full cover down to the waterline when she will be outside for a while (probably never). I'd love a cover that I could trailer with.

I had a cockpit cover made in January by a local guy, cost me an arm and a leg. He told me I could trailer with the cover on, I got 30 miles before the cover ripped in 5 spots.

Who is doing good canvas work? Is Carrie Covers still in business, for the lightweight option? I'm in CT.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of vents did you have in it?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...#ht_1365wt_925

see the vent in that cover get 2 of them and point the opening back ....as you tow the wind blowing over then creates a suction that pulls your cover down so it will not flap in the wind....provided the cover is made to fit nice...witch i'm guessing it is from what you said you paid for it..my suplier that used to get them from stopped carrying them..if you would like i can try a few of the other places i deal with to see if they have them ....if i remember right they are not much more than $20 each
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Here's a few suggest's

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...ull-cover.html
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

I'll look into adding the vents to the cockpit cover so I can tow with it. I'll also take a look at the suppliers in the link, but those look like generic covers and I would prefer custom fit.

Anybody have a good experience getting a cover custom made?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 37 came with a full cover that fits like a glove. It's pretty heavy though. I believe it came from OL, so you might want to contact them and see who does theirs for them. Plus they are semi-local to us as well.

Honestly, I was thinking of getting one of these as they look like they would be quick and easy for short term storage...
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Semi-Cu...icDescriptions
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

This one came from Carver Covers, same as iboat I think.
42 ft weighed 26 lbs. Sold it to "Daredevil" after boat was gone.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Registered

o ya those are crap covers in the link i gave ...but the vents are good
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

I had a custom Sunbrella Supreme cover made for our 28 Pantera by Future Line out of Exton, Pa 610-363-7977 - Mark Spiro.

I will try to find some pics, but they can do it in any material, these guys to AAA level work. I had them install Radius Zippers in the cover so I can access the cockpit with the cover on and also a fuel fill access zipper so I can refuel with the cover on...probably one of the smartest ideas I have had in awhile.

I am going to have them do the little 22 Classic Donzi this Summer. I still need a new Cockpit cover for the Pantera and its going to be the same as the full mooring cover.

You would have to make the trip down from CT. but I would bet like many others near the Bay - you would be more than happy with Mark Spiro's work. He is a crafstman and gets alot of referral business.

I have seen Black Thunders to CC Fish Boats for Biminis - I am sure he could recommend a light weight material.

I trailer to alot of Runs mostly on the East Coast, my experience with towing with covers is it has to fit good and tight and you need to cover the hull and rub rails with chaffing materials or sheets to prevent the adverse affects of the cover rubbing against the gel or graphics.

I use full length Rug Assist Non Slip Rubber padding to run down the rub rails, I went to a flooring store and had 2 28 foot lengths cut 12" wide - I tape them with painters tape here and there to secure it while I roll the full cover on, I do the same with towels and sheets where needed.

This is only if I am running up to Lake Winnie in New Hampshire or Lake George New York, or Lake Cumberland Ky, Western Michigan, Local trips I usually tow open or uncovered.

If you have any questions email or pm me here and I will be happy to help, we tow 15,000 to 20,000 miles on average per season.

Good Luck

Danny

Last edited by Dr. Dan; 05-01-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered

I'd prefer to have custom covers made versus going the iboats route, but I may do that in a pinch. I plan to give Spiro a call this week.

Danny wow, you trailer a lot! My ride is coming up from FL in a few weeks without a cover, not even a cockpit cover, and I'm pretty pissed about it. The boat is immaculate right now and I know after traveling 1,500 miles I'm gonna have to spend two weeks cleaning it.

Any other options I should look into? Any other canvas guys I should call? Have a lot of these canvas shops gone out of business lately because of the economy or what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.