Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Depth Finder not reading (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/252583-new-depth-finder-not-reading.html)

bert4332 05-01-2011 05:16 PM

New Depth Finder not reading

I followed the instructions that others recommended on the install of a Livorsi shoot through hull depth meter, the display unit went flawless in the dash. I hooked up the power and everything worked great. I placed the reading unit overboard in the lake and I it read it perfectly.

Next the instructions call for taking a bag and filling it with water and placing the reading unit in it and closing it off. I then placed it everywhere on the bottom of the bilge closest to the keel I could and I didn't get any readings. I place the bag and unit overboard in the water and it read perfectly. What am I doing wrong?

Too Stroked 05-01-2011 05:35 PM

Actually, you're doing everything right as far as I can tell. I'm assuming the boat is in the water since you said placing the puck overboard gives you a reading. Normally, not geting a reading through the bag of water means you have air entrapped in the layup which is preventing the transducer from getting a good reading. Have you tried other locations?

bert4332 05-01-2011 05:58 PM

I had a hard time getting the bottom of the transducer to lay "flat" against the hull. I was trying to not to burn my face off from the headers, but I would slide it over about 10" and 5" up and then place it back down and start again, I think I hit about 20 locations on both side of the keel from front to back of the bilge. Why would air in the bag matter? I did have a small amount, but when you mount the transducer, it's not in water? I'll try it again, with a better bag, no air, but still confused why it's used in the bag, but not when you mount it.

Boat1 05-01-2011 06:06 PM

I think he means you have entraped air in the fiberglass layup of the boat. I don't think he is talking about the bag at all. Sometimes you have to cut the inside layer of fiberglass from the bottom of the boat, dig out the coring material, then epoxy the puck to the outer solid fiberglass. You need to seal off the boat coring from moisture if you do this. Good luck.

bert4332 05-01-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boat1 (Post 3391450)
I think he means you have entraped air in the fiberglass layup of the boat. I don't think he is talking about the bag at all. Sometimes you have to cut the inside layer of fiberglass from the bottom of the boat, dig out the coring material, then epoxy the puck to the outer solid fiberglass. You need to seal off the boat coring from moisture if you do this. Good luck.

That means I need to buy the "through hull" instead of the "shoot through" Which I'm trying to avoid.

Double Rigged 05-01-2011 07:19 PM

Bert432
Been in the Marine Electronics business a long time. They are correct that if the boat ia cored it will not work. Also be careful if you have a stepped hull putting it in the back will not work at speed either. It would have to be mounted in the front of first step.
The do make low profile tilted elements that are thru hull as wells in hull. Is yours a tilted version. If not I assume your dead rise is at least 22 degrees. This will cause inaccuracy also.
Make sure you are trying it over a lifting strake? They have coring in them. Hope this helps.

Too Stroked 05-01-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bert4332 (Post 3391444)
I had a hard time getting the bottom of the transducer to lay "flat" against the hull. I was trying to not to burn my face off from the headers, but I would slide it over about 10" and 5" up and then place it back down and start again, I think I hit about 20 locations on both side of the keel from front to back of the bilge. Why would air in the bag matter? I did have a small amount, but when you mount the transducer, it's not in water? I'll try it again, with a better bag, no air, but still confused why it's used in the bag, but not when you mount it.

Air in the bag (above the transducer) will not matter. Air trapped in the hull layup will. What you are trying to accomplish with the bag is simulating a perfect seal (no air) between the puck and the inner hull. That's what the water gives you. If you cannot get a good reading with the water filled bag, you have air in the layup somewhere.

bert4332 05-01-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Double Rigged (Post 3391515)
Bert432
Been in the Marine Electronics business a long time. They are correct that if the boat ia cored it will not work. Also be careful if you have a stepped hull putting it in the back will not work at speed either. It would have to be mounted in the front of first step.
The do make low profile tilted elements that are thru hull as wells in hull. Is yours a tilted version. If not I assume your dead rise is at least 22 degrees. This will cause inaccuracy also.
Make sure you are trying it over a lifting strake? They have coring in them. Hope this helps.

Ok I have a full balsa-cored vacuumed hull, I have no idea if that is aired or not, sounds like it. I have no idea "how" I could access in front of the first step, I believe it's about 1/4 of the way towards the bow from the rear of the cockpit, and the floor is a prefab with no access.

It has a transom mount, is my transom the same? A depth meter is a MUST in Texas and I REALLY don't want to put another hole in my boat.

Fountain Family 05-11-2011 09:55 AM

I just got a new depth finder and started installing it. My question is, do you have to be in water to get a reading? I didnt know if it would get one while on the trailer? I didnt know if it would bounce of concrete?

RL 05-11-2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fountain Family (Post 3400333)
I just got a new depth finder and started installing it. My question is, do you have to be in water to get a reading? I didnt know if it would get one while on the trailer? I didnt know if it would bounce of concrete?

My experience says Yes. Then refer to Post 6 by Double Rigged above.