Like Tree0Likes

525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank

Reply
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
  #1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
bullittcustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texoma
My Boats: '06 Nordic 28 Heat Open Bow
Posts: 227
Default 525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank

Anyone Know Where to get a carbon fiber coolant tank for a merc 525efi? I seen one on a 600sci, but maybe it was a cover.....

Derek
bullittcustoms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
  #2
Lip-Ship- Grafikworx Glad
Platinum Member
 
pm203's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: MA and NH
Posts: 3,615
Default

You can order them from Merc. They are just covers. I think they were $450 each. I went with the polished stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-060.jpg  

Last edited by pm203; 05-01-2011 at 08:29 PM.
pm203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,467
Default

I could possibly coat them for you.
these were factory clear coolant tanks that i coated with a carbon fiber film.
Attached Thumbnails
525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-img_3597.jpg   525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-img_3605.jpg   525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-img_3609.jpg  

525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-img_3603.jpg   525 Carbon fiber coolant Tank-img_3586.jpg  
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
bullittcustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texoma
My Boats: '06 Nordic 28 Heat Open Bow
Posts: 227
Default

I checked bams website. The tank is $312 and the cover is $558!?!? WTF?? NO THANKS!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
I could possibly coat them for you.
these were factory clear coolant tanks that i coated with a carbon fiber film.
Those pics look awesome!! How much to do a Tank and what are you putting on them? Vinyl?

Thanks, Derek
bullittcustoms is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM
  #5
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,467
Default

depends on how much prep work you want to do... if you want to get the tank really clean and sand it with red scotchbright and have it basically preped for paint and taped off like you were going to paint the carbon fiber on..
i could do it for 100 each.

I dont do this for a living, it is just kind of an expirament trying to do this.. i will probably have to do it several times to make it look good and will have more in it then i charge you but will look at it like practice..

it took me three tries on those coolant tanks and four tries on the valve covers to get it to look that good.

I have to paint it with a grey paint then let that dry, then you take this film that looks like window tint with the carbon print on it..and lay it on top of hot water.. let it sit for a minuite and it starts disolving the film the print is on and then you spray an activator on the film then slowly drop the part through the film and the water presses the design to the part, then you clear coat it... kind of wierd to watch... you can put it on anything..
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chesapeake Bay
My Boats: 2007 28 Pantera - Insolent Minx & 1993 22 Classic Donzi -The Bull Hamstah
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
depends on how much prep work you want to do... if you want to get the tank really clean and sand it with red scotchbright and have it basically preped for paint and taped off like you were going to paint the carbon fiber on..
i could do it for 100 each.

I dont do this for a living, it is just kind of an expirament trying to do this.. i will probably have to do it several times to make it look good and will have more in it then i charge you but will look at it like practice..

it took me three tries on those coolant tanks and four tries on the valve covers to get it to look that good.

I have to paint it with a grey paint then let that dry, then you take this film that looks like window tint with the carbon print on it..and lay it on top of hot water.. let it sit for a minuite and it starts disolving the film the print is on and then you spray an activator on the film then slowly drop the part through the film and the water presses the design to the part, then you clear coat it... kind of wierd to watch... you can put it on anything..
Wow that looks awesome, very cool! Do you have any feedback as to how this process performs? With the heat and humidity and salt spray in an Engine environment, just curious? Looks great imo.

Very Cool

Danny
Dr. Dan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 2004 25 Outlaw SST
Posts: 1,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
depends on how much prep work you want to do... if you want to get the tank really clean and sand it with red scotchbright and have it basically preped for paint and taped off like you were going to paint the carbon fiber on..
i could do it for 100 each.

I dont do this for a living, it is just kind of an expirament trying to do this.. i will probably have to do it several times to make it look good and will have more in it then i charge you but will look at it like practice..

it took me three tries on those coolant tanks and four tries on the valve covers to get it to look that good.

I have to paint it with a grey paint then let that dry, then you take this film that looks like window tint with the carbon print on it..and lay it on top of hot water.. let it sit for a minuite and it starts disolving the film the print is on and then you spray an activator on the film then slowly drop the part through the film and the water presses the design to the part, then you clear coat it... kind of wierd to watch... you can put it on anything..
Would you be interested in another? I have one that needs to be done.
Baja_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 PM
  #8
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
BigSilverCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Joplin, Mo
My Boats: 2016 50' Skater Catamaran , 2003 41' Apache Cat, 2003 36' Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dan View Post
Wow that looks awesome, very cool! Do you have any feedback as to how this process performs? With the heat and humidity and salt spray in an Engine environment, just curious? Looks great imo.

Very Cool

Danny
i did those valve covers a year ago and they still look new.
its basically car paint.. so it will stay as good as car clear coat will...
BigSilverCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 AM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (4)
 
Rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Boats: 30 Scarab Panther, 37 Active Thunder, 34 Wellcraft Gran Sport
Posts: 3,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
i did those valve covers a year ago and they still look new.
its basically car paint.. so it will stay as good as car clear coat will...
Is this a do it yourself at home hydrographics kit you are working with? I use to send Dodge Viper dash panels to the local hydrographic shop for special Viper builds for Dodge.
BTW...Looks Great!!
Rookie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 AM
  #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

Well Tyson you may have another business to gear up with...
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.