Notices

Gary's Predator Skater

Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
There custom built engines from Larry Peto of Larrys Engine and Marine. Fuel injected and supercharged.
I believe Larry and Gary always run the Skater together at Poker Runs... Larry's builds some strong/reliable engines!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is 1750 hp the number?

IS it a race gas deal? OR a meth injected pump gas setup?
What are the basics on the mill?

50 hour engine? 100?

Whats the ownership burden on mills like that? some of that super high HP stuff is ludicrous- but I dont know what the leading edge is like up there now.

The DCB that could run for long hours with little to no maintenance & tremendous reliability.

UD

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-05-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Cavanti53
OK PR388, with all of your investigating did you ever find out what Gary's engines are? or are they still top secret?

I still give the M31 all of the credit in the world being a new boat and taking it that fast. They is a big difference in size of boat going 170mph or whatever they were at....
I have all the respect in the world for DCB as they build some of the finest boats on the west coast.And Tony,who drove it like he stole it,is the best rigger of boats i have seen.He never lifted the throttles on the M31.This was the fastest DCB that i have ever seen(sorry Don L).
Unfortunatly,they came up against a Skater and everybody knows-SKATERS RULE
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Well 40SS/43.. Predator says 43SS on the sides of each engine scoop ... Have to ask Gary....Also, if you got the DS 2011 book and its list of Poker Run people/boats entered, it has Predator listed as a 43..... idk...
Trust me the scoops have 40ss on them, just like the seats.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 588 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by skater40
Nice!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by skater40
I have all the respect in the world for DCB as they build some of the finest boats on the west coast.And Tony,who drove it like he stole it,is the best rigger of boats i have seen.He never lifted the throttles on the M31.This was the fastest DCB that i have ever seen(sorry Don L).
that sums it up in a nutshell
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Is 1750 hp the number?

IS it a race gas deal? OR a meth injected pump gas setup?
What are the basics on the mill?

50 hour engine? 100?

Whats the ownership burden on mills like that? some of that super high HP stuff is ludicrous- but I dont know what the leading edge is like up there now.

The DCB that could run for long hours with little to no maintenance & tremendous reliability.

UD
Gary or Larry can touch on the power and reliability. I know they were not on kill and were setup conservatively for the poker run.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. The 31DCB is fast and an incredible, but its a 31 boat (with roughly 2' of bussel) with dual 1350 hp motors! My 33' Eliminator, which Tony did an incredible job building for me, went 165, still pulling with dual 1100 motors. The Skater is a big boat, built for all types of water conditions including the ocean. Both are bad ass boats but comparing them is tough.

Now if someone comes out with some nice 4v DOHC heads and block, then you'll see boats like Predator and Pure Platinum and Romers all make more power for even longer. Its coming, its just a matter of time.

Last edited by Whipple Charged; 05-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary or Larry can touch on the power and reliability. I know they were not on kill and were setup conservatively for the poker run.

You guys are comparing apples to oranges. The 31DCB is fast and an incredible, but its a 31 boat (with roughly 2' of bussel) with dual 1350 hp motors! My 33' Eliminator, which Tony did an incredible job building for me, went 165, still pulling with dual 1100 motors. The Skater is a big boat, built for all types of water conditions including the ocean. Both are bad ass boats but comparing them is tough.

Now if someone comes out with some nice 4v DOHC heads and block, then you'll see boats like Predator and Pure Platinum and Romers all make more power for even longer. Its coming, its just a matter of time.

Totally agreed on the comparison.

.....But these were the 2 lead boats.

I suspect there is also at least a half million dollars difference between the rides as well. Thats probably on the light side.

After seeing the previous gen Merc mills maintenance levels Im always looking at the fine print behind "mega mills" like these.

Uncle Dave
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Totally agreed on the comparison.

.....But these were the 2 lead boats.

I suspect there is also at least a half million dollars difference between the rides as well. Thats probably on the light side.

After seeing the previous gen Merc mills maintenance levels Im always looking at the fine print behind "mega mills" like these.

Uncle Dave
I guarantee the motor/drive/trans package was cheaper than Merc's 1350's, x2, which is pretty significant. Boat prices are probably pretty close. One difference is a tilt trailer is around 120k and a standard trailer is 20k, but other than that, there's not much difference in prices. Most of these cats don't come close to reaching $1 million (unless you count the tow rigs). Maybe Haynesworth as of late, but other than that, these boats are under $1 million with custom power-train.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've asked many people about this. I believe that a quad cam head can fit the standard BBC casting as they can add a timing belt or chain to the system with the existing block. (they of course would want a new block to remove the cam area for more rod clearance) But no one seems hot on the idea ??? The valve train is the biggest obstacle on the BBC and a 4V DOHC head would cure that easily.

Hasn't anyone ever made a 4V DOHC head for the BBC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.