Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wrecked skater - Twin 1000 HP's in NJ >

Wrecked skater - Twin 1000 HP's in NJ

Notices

Wrecked skater - Twin 1000 HP's in NJ

Old 05-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great tragedy. Our hearts go out ot the family and the Pjatikin brothers who knew them well.

Definately a reminder of how dangerous our sport can be and what we can do to try and make it safer.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:16 AM
Registered

Unhappy

i still keep thinking that this is a nightmare and i am going to wake up and go boating the next day with our friends, but i am a wake and this is reality! TODAY, REALITY REALLY SUCKS! .
Old 05-29-2002, 01:26 AM
Registered

the three brothers would do anything to help you or us, and now there is nothing we can do in return to bring them back!

my their souls forever be in heaven.
(boaters heaven, a race that you always win, nothing ever breaks, never need fuel, the boat is always waxed, and life is good.)

the pjatikin brothers
Old 05-29-2002, 01:32 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Old 05-29-2002, 01:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

in a small world of skater owners this hits close to home our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and friends.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:33 AM
drkind2000

Unhappy

My sympathies to the family. A tragic reminder that this sport
can be dangerous

Old 05-29-2002, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Heart is full of sorrow, for the boaters as well as their family

I read this in a local news article, Did they own a body shop in washingtontown township?3 S. Jersey brothers presumed dead in boat accident
SEA ISLE CITY 3:30 p.m. Three brothers from the tri-county region, out for a Memorial Day cruise on their new speedboat, are missing and presumed dead after it flipped, ejecting them into the ocean. The men are Jeffrey M. Malia, 35, of Glassboro, Joel Malia, 32, of Blackwood and James J. Malia, 20, of Williamstown. They were headed up the coast to join family members at a gathering in Brigantine when their vessel encountered rough water off Townsend's Inlet, authorities say. Witnesses said the "Bad Kat" -- a 37-foot twin-hulled Skater, made by Douglas Marine Corp. -- was traveling 80 mph or faster when it crashed at about 3:30 p.m. Monday, says Trooper Nicholas DiJoseph, of the state police's marine bureau. The driver was believed to be Jeffrey Malia, an experienced boater. All three shared ownership of it after buying it in Florida last fall, DiJoseph says. "It appears to be their first big trip with the vessel," he says. The boat, which is built like a catamaran but has two high-performance 800 horsepower engines instead of a sail, is capable of reaching 142 mph. A preliminary inspection of the boat revealed no evidence of operating problems, DiJoseph says. The victims, who apparently were not wearing life jackets, were thrown into 60-degree water about 1.2 miles offshore. Without thermal suits or other protective gear, a person could survive in such water for an hour or less, according to Lt. John B. Hall, a spokesman for Coast Guard Air Station-Atlantic City.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:43 AM
MariaC

Default Life Jackets

The Asbury Park Press report states the Coast Guard found an unopened package of life jackets on board.
I don't think anyone was wearing, most people I see do not.
They think it's not "cool" to wear one.
I think if you hit the water at a high rate of speed, you will be knocked unconcious, and will not have a chance of survial.
Lifeline makes a real good jacket, it is worth the investment.
How important is one's life?
It would have saved this family and the family of High Torque Marine alot of grief.
Maybe they should make it mandatory.

Old 05-29-2002, 07:03 AM
RACERCHIP

I AM DEEPLY STRUCK WHEN I HEAR OF A HORRIBLE ACCIDENT LIKE THIS. MY SYMPATHY TO ALL THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF THESE 3 BROTHERS. I ALWAYS BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOME GOOD IN ALL THE BAD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO US WHETHER MINOR OF TRAGIC. IN THIS CASE IT SHOULD BE A REMINDER TO ALL, THAT A PFD IN A HP BOAT SHOULD BE WORN AT ALL TIMES.

ONCE AGAIN I AM TRULEY SORRY!

CHIP FENDT

HUSTLER POWERBOATS

Old 05-29-2002, 07:34 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Quick Reply: Wrecked skater - Twin 1000 HP's in NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.