Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I Need More Speed...any Suggestions? >

I Need More Speed...any Suggestions?

Notices

I Need More Speed...any Suggestions?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" Best bet for more speed is to put a real good coat of the best speed wax you can find on all of your credit cards. "

THAT MADE ME SMILE...LOL
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

55 seems slow to me with that set up. I had a 22 checkmate with a 454 magnum and bravo that ran 65 easily. I think prop was a 25 p 3 blade. Maybe your baja is heavier but I would think the two boats would be pretty similar.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

55... you gatta trim it out. I had an '89 226 Sport, LOVED IT. It came with a stock 330 and I could get it to 60mph. swapped that out to (what I was told) a 420hp but that would only do 65/66. Then I had a 500 hp 489ci built and that would do 74/75mph, (all on GPS). Then I bought the Active Thunder, which had a newer 300hp 454. Did the motor swap to sell the Baja and it went 55 mph with that newer 300 hp 454.

Have fun with it.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Tell you how what works out lofty?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

As an owner of many Baja's, I can tell you it takes 20 horsepower to increase speed by 1 mph. So if you want to go 10 mph faster, your gonne need 200 more ponies.
Your boat should be able to run at least 60 mph as it is now. Your prop is the first and best place to look for improvements. Call Brett at BBlades. He is an advertiser here...do a search.

Your goal is to get your motor to acheive a maximum rpm of at least 5000 on the tach.

Keep us posted on your changes
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I Need More Speed...any Suggestions?"

Yeah- a briefcase of hundred dollar bills, and a full time guy to do it all for you.

Really, Id only do props, oil and maybe a bolt on or 2 like a better exhaust.

The circle jerk of speed is expensive and not as fulfilling as it sounds on paper.

In all honestly if you want to go fast Id get a boat that already is or you will spend your available water time wrenching and fixing something.

Own a "funner" that actually works and you can go boting with, and a "runner" to lighten your wallet.

The guys are right about 20/1 ratio. and underselling the stress on drive steering and other components.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 05-07-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

To get more speed out of your boat you must first pass test Grasshoppah.........
First
Go to your toilet, pull out 10 crisp new 100 dollar bills.
Two
Roll said money into tight little balls.
Three
Flush them all down.

If you can complete this task Grasshoppah then you are ready in your pursuit of 10 mph gains.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I had posted in the other "5mph" thread, that with all the new lubricants (synthetic) on the market, specifically the NEO products they are claiming a 1-3 mph gain depending if you run just their drive oil or their engine and drive oil.

After talking to the owner of NEO and The Bravo Shop (2 seperate people) over the weekend at Desert Storm, I found the logic and technology to be right on. The oils were designed for F1 racing and the trickel down to other sports has worked out very well for them.

I have found out this is the best kept secret in the racing community, the people using it have an edge and they use it as that. (Amazing what you can find out when you start checking into what you have been told) I am ordereing up for our boat as well, will let everyone know our actual results. They are stating it will increase drive life by 50% this is due to the increased cooling capacity in the viscosity of the oil and you only have to change the oil half as much. And with the less heat, less drag, it will increase your top end as well! This will make it by far the best performance enhancer for the money in the market.

Certainly worth the try for a few hunred dollars total, less if you have fewer motors... (I have 3)
never heard of that oil!! Can U use it in Merc "blue" motors cuz I am 2 understand U R not supposed 2 use synthetic in them?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Registered

Is this 20/1 ratio the same for all boats? So if you want a 30mph increase you would need 600 more hp? So to do 100mph I would need over 1000hp? Just curious
Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I had posted in the other "5mph" thread, that with all the new lubricants (synthetic) on the market, specifically the NEO products they are claiming a 1-3 mph gain depending if you run just their drive oil or their engine and drive oil.

After talking to the owner of NEO and The Bravo Shop (2 seperate people) over the weekend at Desert Storm, I found the logic and technology to be right on. The oils were designed for F1 racing and the trickel down to other sports has worked out very well for them.

I have found out this is the best kept secret in the racing community, the people using it have an edge and they use it as that. (Amazing what you can find out when you start checking into what you have been told) I am ordereing up for our boat as well, will let everyone know our actual results. They are stating it will increase drive life by
50% this is due to the increased cooling capacity in the viscosity of the oil and you only have to change the oil half as much. And with the less heat, less drag, it will increase your top end as well! This will make it by far the best performance enhancer for the money in the market.

Certainly worth the try for a few hunred dollars total, less if you have fewer motors... (I have 3)
Which oil are you using? The racing or high performance series? What weight engine and gear oil are you using? Is Amsol oil basically the same thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.