Notices

CMI exhaust

Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The year is now 2011. How are new CMI headers for an HP500EFI? CMI made the pipes for my Formula and I need to replace these as they are 10 years old now. Would the new ones be good?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KEPP
The "Gap" as commonly referred to is what CMI call's their Cool Collar it is a patented design that they chose to switch to. You will find in the case of the 525,600 and 700 Merc engine header failures they have nearly nothing to do with flange failures but that of rotting out internally. As so many different posts have referred to.

We sell both the CMI GEN-X header http://www.keitheickert.com/p-14849-...0-engines.aspx

and the New Hardin Hurricane Lite as direct replacement headers for this application to reference two different styles. http://www.keitheickert.com/p-15770-...mi-flange.aspx

Thanks for the post, but what difference would "internal rotting" make with or without the "cool collar". Where is this internal "rotting" happening and why?

Giving this some thought myself, I now have more questions. It seems to me the weakest part of a header design is the weld and not the unmodified portion of a stainless tube. To avoid getting water inside the exhaust tube if a weld leaked, they moved the water jacket weld away from the flange. This way if there was a leak on that water jacket weld, it would leak OUTSIDE and not go into the engine via the exhaust port.

So if it doesn't leak there at the weld, it has to be internal. Is the inside pipe getting too hot due to lack of water flow? Is the inside pipe not centered within the outer water jacket pipe? How is the inner pipe kept floating in the center of the water jacket pipe?

These pictures are of the "cool callar" type. To me the rusty one is an external weld leak and would not have caused water to get in the engine causing a failure.

Talking out loud here!
Attached Thumbnails CMI exhaust-photo1.jpg   CMI exhaust-external-leak.jpg  
Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Nort,
I don't believe that the 500 EFI's had that many problems, You are a testment to that, getting 10 years our of your CMI's, E-tops I think. The problems really started with the CMI "Sweeper" headers, (I.E. HP525, 600sci, 700 sci). Check with Teague and see what he recommends, he should be able to give you some good options, since I think he carries a few different headers. If it were me, I would look at some KE's, (my personal choice), IMCO Power Plus, or the Stainless Marine gen II or III. I have not heard anything bad about Stellings either
Hope this helps,
Dean
Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I appear to be reinstated. Thread is up too. I will play by the rules, the following was sent to me from OSO.

"Hello Smarty,

Thank you for your participation on our website. You are and have been a valued and long-term member of Offshoreonly; your posting privileges, post count, and Platinum status have been retained. You are welcome to post as normal.

There has been an issue with some of your most recent posts which we believe have skirted our TOS and site guidelines with regard to commercial posting/solicitation of business in the forums, specifically soliciting other members to join a class-action lawsuit. Please review the guidelines and edit any posts you have made to comply with the site rules.

For you convenience, here are links to the OSO guidelines and TOS:"

Thank you, OSO, for reinstating my posting privileges.

Last edited by Smarty; 05-21-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
I appear to be reinstated. Thread is up too. I will play by the rules, the following was sent to me from OSO.

"Hello Smarty,

Thank you for your participation on our website. You are and have been a valued and long-term member of Offshoreonly; your posting privileges, post count, and Platinum status have been retained. You are welcome to post as normal.

There has been an issue with some of your most recent posts which we believe have skirted our TOS and site guidelines with regard to commercial posting/solicitation of business in the forums, specifically soliciting other members to join a class-action lawsuit. Please review the guidelines and edit any posts you have made to comply with the site rules.

For you convenience, here are links to the OSO guidelines and TOS:"

Welcome back bro'! Can you please PM your # so we can discuss something?
Thanks,
Dean
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 05-21-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty

Welcome back Smarts
Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Welcome back Smarts
Thank you.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going next week to look at 07 600 boat, I scared now?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I don't get, after all these failures, why are people still buying ANYTHING from CMI? Some are even fixing their motors that were damaged by CMI headers and then buying new CMI's to replace the old ones. I wouldn't spend a dime with CMI simply based on their lack of response to the well documented failures of their product......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.