Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercruiser 575 SCI info wanted (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/253015-mercruiser-575-sci-info-wanted.html)

Dkahnjob 05-06-2011 04:10 PM

Mercruiser 575 SCI info wanted

I am looking at a boat that has a pair of 2001 Mercruiser 575 SCI's and would like to know how some of you like them. Things to look for or look out for. The engines and boat have 174 hours and look like new, boat is a 30' Hallett. Also has electronic shifting. The control works a box in the engine compartment that has all of the cables going to it.

Also what kind of fuel burn at a moderate cruise like 3000 rpm.

Thanks in advance.
David

huskyrider 05-06-2011 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob (Post 3396714)
I am looking at a boat that has a pair of 2001 Mercruiser 575 SCI's and would like to know how some of you like them.

My info is direct from a newbie into high performance boating so it should be considered half ass at best.
I'd guess fuel consumption 30gpm at 3000rpm

While looking at boats to purchase that had these powerplants I did some asking around and came up with the info that they're great motors but replacement parts are expensive and not as commonplace as most while searching for them.

At those low hours if the boat really appeals to you I'd say "jump on it". They're sure to have plenty of life left in them prior to any major reconditioning.
I'm one of the optimists that thinks the economy is truly rebounding and the low prices for boats of this caliber will soon rise again.

Just bear in mind that all my info comes from one performance boating buddy and all my internet searches for answers.

See ya,
Kelly

Dkahnjob 05-06-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by huskyrider (Post 3396944)
My info is direct from a newbie into high performance boating so it should be considered half ass at best.
I'd guess fuel consumption 30gpm at 3000rpm

While looking at boats to purchase that had these powerplants I did some asking around and came up with the info that they're great motors but replacement parts are expensive and not as commonplace as most while searching for them.

At those low hours if the boat really appeals to you I'd say "jump on it". They're sure to have plenty of life left in them prior to any major reconditioning.
I'm one of the optimists that thinks the economy is truly rebounding and the low prices for boats of this caliber will soon rise again.

Just bear in mind that all my info comes from one performance boating buddy and all my internet searches for answers.

See ya,
Kelly

Thanks for the info Kelly, I assume you mean 30 GPH, which would make sense since my last Fountain had 500 EFI's which is a similar engine and no blowers and it averaged 24 gph at 3,000 rpm.
thanks,
David

Wild 05-06-2011 11:08 PM

i had em in my cig, loved em, buddy had the same in his formula, had tons of problems

guess im not much help

Kelly O 05-07-2011 06:11 AM

For 2001 motors, the headgaskets should be upgraded ASAP if they have not been already.

Those would have the older style blowers with oil bath rear rotor bearings, preferred over the newer sealed greased bearings style.

I had a set of 03's, loved them but they do like their fuel. Also some great options to make big power with that motor as a base.

wrinkleface 05-07-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wild (Post 3396971)
i had em in my cig, loved em, buddy had the same in his formula, had tons of problems

guess im not much help

03 382 Formula, same as your buddy!!!

On the brighter side, If U choose this boat & want a 575 Merc service manual in like new condition, get in touch!!! it sez # 8 service manual, serial # 0L601000 & above! Good luck!

ciaoderhead 05-07-2011 08:12 AM

I had really good luck with mine. '02's in a TopGun. Definitely time for head gaskets and probably a valve job while you're in there. Blowers might need refresh. If in salt water the thermostat housings are a problem. They do like fuel. Should rock in a 30'.

obnoxus 05-07-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead (Post 3397072)
. If in salt water the thermostat housings are a problem. .

+1

REDS32 05-07-2011 10:41 AM

I heard the575&525 headers those years are prone to leaking my friend just redid 2 motors on one the leaks killed the motor the other was just starting if you are pulling them out pressure test the headers

endeavor1 05-07-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by REDS32 (Post 3397143)
I heard the575&525 headers those years are prone to leaking my friend just redid 2 motors on one the leaks killed the motor the other was just starting if you are pulling them out pressure test the headers

I believe that the 575 like the 500efi still used the Etop header compared to the hurricane/swept tube header foung on 525efis. May be wrong though....:evilb: