Mercruiser 575 SCI  info wanted >

Mercruiser 575 SCI info wanted

Notices

Mercruiser 575 SCI info wanted

Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 575 SCI info wanted

I am looking at a boat that has a pair of 2001 Mercruiser 575 SCI's and would like to know how some of you like them. Things to look for or look out for. The engines and boat have 174 hours and look like new, boat is a 30' Hallett. Also has electronic shifting. The control works a box in the engine compartment that has all of the cables going to it.

Also what kind of fuel burn at a moderate cruise like 3000 rpm.

Thanks in advance.
David
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
I am looking at a boat that has a pair of 2001 Mercruiser 575 SCI's and would like to know how some of you like them.
My info is direct from a newbie into high performance boating so it should be considered half ass at best.
I'd guess fuel consumption 30gpm at 3000rpm

While looking at boats to purchase that had these powerplants I did some asking around and came up with the info that they're great motors but replacement parts are expensive and not as commonplace as most while searching for them.

At those low hours if the boat really appeals to you I'd say "jump on it". They're sure to have plenty of life left in them prior to any major reconditioning.
I'm one of the optimists that thinks the economy is truly rebounding and the low prices for boats of this caliber will soon rise again.

Just bear in mind that all my info comes from one performance boating buddy and all my internet searches for answers.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by huskyrider
My info is direct from a newbie into high performance boating so it should be considered half ass at best.
I'd guess fuel consumption 30gpm at 3000rpm

While looking at boats to purchase that had these powerplants I did some asking around and came up with the info that they're great motors but replacement parts are expensive and not as commonplace as most while searching for them.

At those low hours if the boat really appeals to you I'd say "jump on it". They're sure to have plenty of life left in them prior to any major reconditioning.
I'm one of the optimists that thinks the economy is truly rebounding and the low prices for boats of this caliber will soon rise again.

Just bear in mind that all my info comes from one performance boating buddy and all my internet searches for answers.

See ya,
Kelly
Thanks for the info Kelly, I assume you mean 30 GPH, which would make sense since my last Fountain had 500 EFI's which is a similar engine and no blowers and it averaged 24 gph at 3,000 rpm.
thanks,
David
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had em in my cig, loved em, buddy had the same in his formula, had tons of problems

guess im not much help
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

For 2001 motors, the headgaskets should be upgraded ASAP if they have not been already.

Those would have the older style blowers with oil bath rear rotor bearings, preferred over the newer sealed greased bearings style.

I had a set of 03's, loved them but they do like their fuel. Also some great options to make big power with that motor as a base.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wild
i had em in my cig, loved em, buddy had the same in his formula, had tons of problems

guess im not much help
03 382 Formula, same as your buddy!!!

On the brighter side, If U choose this boat & want a 575 Merc service manual in like new condition, get in touch!!! it sez # 8 service manual, serial # 0L601000 & above! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

I had really good luck with mine. '02's in a TopGun. Definitely time for head gaskets and probably a valve job while you're in there. Blowers might need refresh. If in salt water the thermostat housings are a problem. They do like fuel. Should rock in a 30'.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ciaoderhead
. If in salt water the thermostat housings are a problem. .
+1
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered

I heard the575&525 headers those years are prone to leaking my friend just redid 2 motors on one the leaks killed the motor the other was just starting if you are pulling them out pressure test the headers
Old 05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by REDS32
I heard the575&525 headers those years are prone to leaking my friend just redid 2 motors on one the leaks killed the motor the other was just starting if you are pulling them out pressure test the headers
I believe that the 575 like the 500efi still used the Etop header compared to the hurricane/swept tube header foung on 525efis. May be wrong though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.