Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!! >

Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!!

Notices

Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!!

Old 05-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!!

Anybody know about a Scarab that sank in Devil's Cove on Sunday.I know one sank but what was it? There is a bouy marking it & my friend went & stood on it. It was standing straight up from the bottom about 5 feet from the surface but we couldn't determine what size it was. I heard he left the drain plugs out & went to Carlos & Charlies with a buddy & when he came back his boat was GONE! It was a rough weekend because I saw 2 more boats grounded on the rocks. Safe boating to all & any info would surely satisfy my curiosity. Sea Ya, Dennis ( Luna Sea )
Old 05-28-2002, 06:39 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

if he rents teh bags and buys me aticket i will slavage it with my buddies we are all NY dive junkies and our bahamas plan just got F-ed up.....
Old 05-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Yea Catmando
Heard you had some serious weather last night.It came through Austin but it wasn't that bad. Now Sat. night we went through a hell of a storm on the docks. I mean the rain was blowing sideways!!! Wonder where the Austin boys are to inform me about that Scarab that sunk.The police told me that it was BRAND new. Pretty typical a guy buys a new boat forgets to put the plugs in & it sinks. GIMME A TALL TREE & A ROPE. Sea ya Dennis ( Luna Sea )
Old 05-28-2002, 07:22 PM
OutlawBayB

Hey Dennis!

Saw your boat out there, but couldn't get to ya on Sat. We partied w/ Clay all day long

We were out on Sun & Mon, but didn't hear or see anything at all about the sunken ship-(hope they had ins) or the grounded ones. Got any pix?

Old 05-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally posted by puder
if he rents teh bags and buys me aticket i will slavage it with my buddies we are all NY dive junkies and our bahamas plan just got F-ed up.....
Puder...you do NOT want to dive in Granbury Lake if you can help it. There is so much mud and crap in the water you literally dive by feel.

I was down in Grandbury today doing some property storm assessment down there and from what I saw it looked like the micro-bursts I used to see every once in a while up north. Everything that was broke wasn't scattered around it was like a big foot just stepped on it and it went straight down.

I feel for ya Blown1100, I'm going to call Andy L. to get the scoop. Let me know if you do need a diver, I work with a guy who is also an instructor that grew up/lives in Granbury. He has done alot of recovery on the lake.

Todd
Old 05-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Registered

Hey OutlawBayB
No pics. I just found out it was a 29' Scarab. The grounded ones were small ski boats. One was grounded on the infamous island on the other side of Hurst Harbor & the other down by Lakeway. We partied at the dock until 8am Mon. Morning. The lakeway police just LOVE me!!!!!!! Came out to shut me down 3 times. Oh well somebody has to party like rock stars!! Sea ya soon Dennis
( Luna Sea )
Old 05-29-2002, 02:30 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

at least its warm I thoughthey were in teh gulf though. Up here in NY the sound usually tops out around 65* at the surface mid summer. After the 1st thermocline it generally cools of to 50* and it just gets colder from there. Of a good day visibility is 15'. But i have gone on plenty of bug hunts with 1-2' and several of those bug hunts have turned into feel arounds following my bubbles to know which way is up. They suck.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Registered

Default I saw the Scarab go down!

I was on a line directly behind the line which this Scarab was tied into, and he was directly in front of me. I was talking to someone when I heard from the neighboring boat "That boat just sank!" I looked up and saw a gap where a boat used to be with people holding ropes they'd hurriedly undone from the stricken one. Also, two guys were swimming where the gap was retrieving CD cases, bags, and other stuff that floated out. Their line broke up and *then* the excitement started. They'd managed to put a heavy line on the nose somewhere, maybe on the front trailer hook-up, and tied it to the stern of a huge red twin-screw I see in that cove regularly. It turned around slowly, throttled up and dragged the Scarab from the bottom! It broke the surface, nose high in the air, going directly by me with two guys clinging to the upper side of it. Then they stopped and it sank again. The guys got on the big boat and the driver spoke to them. Then I saw them power up again and this time the Scarab actually leveled out and the cove let out a huge cheer. I could read almost the whole word as it went by me, swamped. Then I saw the engine cover float up somewhere else. Pulling it underwater that fast must have ripped it off. I'm guessing they were trying to drain out the Scarab but were headed back into the cove at speed. Mind you this was after 6 pm on Memorial Day so it was crowded. This whole operation ended when they hit a pontoon boat toward the back. By then the cops were getting back there. I noticed the big boat had their engine doors open with everyone looking down in there. Overheated maybe? Luckily, this happened after 5 when most of the trailered boats leave so there was actually some room to drive around like they did. Nobody got hurt but I called Liz Chapman at Lake Travis Marina where I keep my boat. They do all the salvage work in the area. She figured the outdrive and bottom would be in bad shape from all the dragging and dropping. Also, the cops wanted it up pronto but her husband was out of town so it had to sit there for a while. All in all, a very entertaining afternoon. My neighboring boat had cameras but I was never able to get hold of them for copies. I just wish I'd had my video camera that day. It's going out from now on! Rumor was that they'd forgotten to install drain plugs. After sitting a while the bilge couldn't keep up. No idea of the owner was there or not.

Last edited by m1super90; 06-18-2002 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Registered

A friend of mine was there - here's the picture and his story:

You can lead a rich guy to water, but you can't make him think...
> > This was part of the entertainment Memorial Day weekend in Devil's Cove on Lake Travis. The kid forgot to put the plug in, once he realized that his boat had taken on a lot of water, he panicked, his friends untied the boat, he started it, gunned it, rammed another boat, knocked a hole in his hull and it sunk so fast by the time we got to the camera this is all that was left. A little more drama unfolded when they attempted to tie the sinking boat to another boat to keep it from going all the way down. We just about got to see 2 boats bite it. They feverishly cut the rope with a knife when they discovered the one was just going to get drug down with the other.
As rumor has it, insurance is calling it driver error and will not cover the $100,000 35 ft Baja boat and to put icing on the cake, he is being fined $1000 to $10000 a day that the boat sits on the bottom of the lake.
> > > >Poor Bastard!
That is the story I heard.
> >
Attached Thumbnails Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!!-lake-travis1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Nice to see a picture at last. I can see the handrails the two guys were clinging to when they got towed by me. Ha! I've heard that version of the story too and I just don't think it's accurate. Would the motor even start if the engine bay were swamped? Don't know. They were towing it in order to get it to drain. You wouldn't do that if you'd punched a hole in your hull. I feel the Scarab sank in place about 40 feet directly a head of me on it's line. Those guys were swimming in the gap they left collecting everything that was left floating. Each boat they were tied to was looking straight down the gap at it. Also, the boat it was attached to was way too big for the Scarab to pull under. Not that it was hanging suspended anyhow. My depth gauge read 37 feet there. Add in a 10 foot line and a 29 foot boat standing on it's tail, and it was obviously sitting on the bottom. I don't know how this other story got started or how the whole 30 minute towing ordeal could have been left out. THAT was the entertaining part!!! The cops kept the big boat at the end of the cove for a long long time. Hope he didn't get into too much trouble. Though, I haven't seen it since then and he used to be a regular in that cove.

Last edited by m1super90; 06-19-2002 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Sunk Scarab in Devil's Cove????!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.