Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sea Pump will not pull in water  Help!!!! >

Sea Pump will not pull in water Help!!!!

Notices

Sea Pump will not pull in water Help!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with NEW outdrive, the fitting that corrodes is located on the inner transom plate, so unless this was replaced, I would look there. There is also the possibility that the hose connected to this fitting is collapsing also, I have heard that sometimes the outer rubber sleeve of the hose looks fine but the inner rubber sleeve gets sucked shut like a valve, most times when the fitting is corroded on the transom plate, causing low pressure in the hose.

Is there a flushing fitting in the suction line? if so, check it for proper function. I had a Perko fitting (with internal check valve) fail with the valve stuck closed and smoked two (2) impellers until I discovered the problem.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Will take a section of clear hose and attach to inlet with other end in bucket of water maybe narrow down the options.Cleaned heat exchangers had no issues. Thanks Gus
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've changed a bunch of these over the years, so I know how it's done. But... a few years ago, I changed both of them out on my Cat, and upon start up, one would not pull any water. So after pulling it apart again, it was clear it simply disintegrated upon start up. I never had one do it before, nor since. I simply chalked it up to a bad part.

Darrell.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered

DMOORE With that in mind took pump apart an checked it,all was well. The water muffs have resistance when on the outdrive,water is forced out around it,but will flow out easily when I put the hose thru the inlet pipe backwards. Is this normal?? Thanks again Gus
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Okay The clear hose worked. Pump would suck a 5 gallon bucket dry in 30 seconds with city water running in it!! I can put the water hose in the inlet hose off the pump and water drains out the foot fine.Set the boat in the water and it refuses to pull water!! What is in the outdrive that can cause this? Made some progress but may not be on the lake this weekend either. Throw anything you have at me.I gotta win this battle!! Thanks Gus
Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Well Can not beleive I have stumped this crew!! Got a manual and it looks like there is a rubber hose. It must have a hole in it above the water line Checking it next. Gus
Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BadCompany
Well Can not beleive I have stumped this crew!! Got a manual and it looks like there is a rubber hose. It must have a hole in it above the water line Checking it next. Gus
No stumping buddy.
That hose was already referenced. It's in "suction" mode and at times might even be colapsed. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

U right That is what it has to be Thanks Gus
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Are you sure you have the hoses on the pump correctly? Upper hose is intake.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One more think you might want to try regarding that hose.
Keep your boat on the trailer and submerge the whole drive.
Make sure the back is low enough that nothing from the drive is visible. If it's sucks water then you can be pretty sure its the hose, or the connection at the top of the hose.
If all fales, remove the drive. put a hose into the openning at the water pick up and use a bucket. If still no water, probobly a connection issue or hole, cracked hose around the transom, or may be as simple as a lose clamp at the elbow, right by the inner plate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.